The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I would like an opionion on the following play for both Fed and ASA.

Runners on 2nd & 3rd 2 outs.
Base hit by B/R
R3 comes home but misses home plate
R2 advances to 3rd before R3 goes into dugout.
Catcher chases R3 into dugout to try and tag R3 for missing home. Catcher takes the ball into dead ball territory.

What are the base awards for carrying the ball into dead ball territory by the catcher intentionally?

After the awarded bases, defense appeals R3 for missing home plate.

Does R2's run count because the award was made prior to the appeal?

Our local UIC insists that awarded bases take precedence over the appeal and the rule that states no succeeding runs score if the preceding runner is out because of missing a base or not tagging up. I cannot find any rule that tells me that an awarded base takes precedence over an appeal.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
I would like an opionion on the following play for both Fed and ASA.

Runners on 2nd & 3rd 2 outs.
Base hit by B/R
R1 comes home but misses home plate
R2 advances to 3rd before R1 goes into dugout.
Catcher chases R1 into dugout to try and tag R1 for missing home. Catcher takes the ball into dead ball territory.

What are the base awards for carrying the ball into dead ball territory by the catcher intentionally?
Speaking ASA...

Just to keep myself straight, I've changed your situation to softball naming conventions, you have R1 on 3rd, and R2 on 2nd.

To answer your question, for carrying the ball intentionally into DBT, the award is 2 bases from the last base touched at the time the ball entered DBT (ASA 8-6-K).

However, that is not the applicable rule here. Rule 8-6-J (unintentionally carrying the ball into DBT) contains a specific statement that A fielder carrying a live ball into the dugout or team area to tag a player is considered to have unintentionally carried it there.

Quote:

After the awarded bases, defense appeals R1 for missing home plate.

Does R2's run count because the award was made prior to the appeal?

Our local UIC insists that awarded bases take precedence over the appeal and the rule that states no succeeding runs score if the preceding runner is out because of missing a base or not tagging up. I cannot find any rule that tells me that an awarded base takes precedence over an appeal.
The runners are awarded their bases before any dead ball appeal will be heard. This is found in ASA POE 1-C-2, If the ball has gone out of play, runners must be given the opportunity to complete their base running responsibilities, before the dead ball appeal can be made.

However, in this play, it doesn't really matter, since if the defense appeals R1 for missing home, this is the 3rd out of the inning, and according to ASA 5-5-B-3, No run shall be scored if the third out of the inning is the result of a preceding runner is declared out on an appeal play.
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Darn Dakota!!

Errrrrrrrr.........Ahhhhhhhhh........

What he said.........

Joel

I would treat NFHS the same as ASA in this situation........

I have done a cursory look in the NFHS book and cannot find out if they have a definition of "intentional or deliberate"........

Old Tue May 14, 2002, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Also, I just found in the ASA POE-H

Awards. An appeal must be honored even if the base missed was before or after an award.

So an award does not matter in conjunction with missing a base and the timing of the play.