The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Interference (NFHS) (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/48403-interference-nfhs.html)

Dholloway1962 Mon Sep 08, 2008 07:44pm

Interference (NFHS)

Do you have to have contact for INT in HS ball? Can't remember.

Dakota Mon Sep 08, 2008 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Do you have to have contact for INT in HS ball? Can't remember.

No, but it helps! :)

Dholloway1962 Mon Sep 08, 2008 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
No, but it helps! :)

That's for sure! Had a grounder between SS and 2nd base bag. Runner from 2B to 3B caused SS to stand up and stop, everything but contact, and ball went to outfield. I called INT. OC argued that had to have contact and quite honestly he got me questioning myself.

Thanks

IRISHMAFIA Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34pm

Quote:

That's for sure! Had a grounder between SS and 2nd base bag. Runner from 2B to 3B caused SS to stand up and stop,

How did the runner cause the SS to stand up and stop?

CajunNewBlue Tue Sep 09, 2008 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

ummm.... by interfering. ;)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 09, 2008 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
ummm.... by interfering. ;)

Not necessarily, but that is why I am asking :cool:

CajunNewBlue Tue Sep 09, 2008 07:56am

"Runner from 2B to 3B caused SS to stand up and stop"

Umpires judgement? if so, end of story ;)

Dakota Tue Sep 09, 2008 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
"Runner from 2B to 3B caused SS to stand up and stop"

Umpires judgement? if so, end of story ;)

End of story if the coach asks, but, it's just us here... ;)

whiskers_ump Tue Sep 09, 2008 08:04am

Quote:

Not necessarily, but that is why I am asking :cool:

Had the exact same stitch in the Nats this year. I did not call INT.
As noted so many times, a runner cannot go pooof. She was already
in advance mode, SS saw her out of the corner of her eye and stopped
her advance toward the ball causing the two to bump. The ball was to
the 2nd base side of SS. Ball ended up going into short LC field. I signaled
OBS. Runner from 2nd went back to 2nd. I did not advance the
runner, cause in my opinion, she would not have made it. Had the SS
continued toward the ball I would have had INT.

Dholloway1962 Tue Sep 09, 2008 08:59am

Quote:

The SS stopped to avoid the inevitable contact with the runner. If she hadn't stopped they would have collided. Although the runner didn't "go out of her way", she definitely interfered with SS ability to make play.

Dholloway1962 Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
As noted so many times, a runner cannot go pooof.

But we require the fielder who drops the ball on a tag to go "poooof" or they OBS???????? what's fair is fair.....why didn't you have INT.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:20am

Quote:

But we require the fielder who drops the ball on a tag to go "poooof" or they OBS???????? what's fair is fair.....why didn't you have INT.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. The fielder isn't supposed to be in the runner's path without possession of the ball to begin. If they catch the ball, step into the path and then drop the ball, you think not protecting the runner who is obstructed due to a defensive error is fair?

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:21am

Quote:

The SS stopped to avoid the inevitable contact with the runner. If she hadn't stopped they would have collided. Although the runner didn't "go out of her way", she definitely interfered with SS ability to make play.

Thank you

DaveASA/FED Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:21am

Quote:

I think we have a HTBT on a lot of these plays, Whiskers saw it one way we might have saw it another. It is based on location of the ball, fielder, runner and the actions of all of them and they form a picture that we develop in a fraction of a second to make a judgement call, either OBS, INT or nothing. Hard to judge all these based on wording.

In whiskers case if the ball was near 2nd base and SS was playing toward 3rd there isn't as strong of a case for INT, but if ss is center, or shading to 2nd in that case you have a stronger possibility of INT, again location pre and post hit and ball location actions of everyone involved all go together, so nobody is right and nobody is wrong based on typed descriptions...have to see it to believe it is true in this case.

To your OP, I can see if everything was right, where you could no doubt have INT on your play! Coach was wrong all it takes is umpire judgement that the runner interfered with the fielders chance to field a batted ball.

Dholloway1962 Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11am

Quote:

Sorry, doesn't work that way. The fielder isn't supposed to be in the runner's path without possession of the ball to begin. If they catch the ball, step into the path and then drop the ball, you think not protecting the runner who is obstructed due to a defensive error is fair?

this is more of a rant than anything.....Why doesn't it work that way? Why is the requirement that the fielder "goes poof" if they drop they ball but the ball is still next to them or we have OBS? But the runner can do pretty much anything they want and not have to disappear? (rant over)

I would disagree in part with your 2nd sentence...if the fielder is attempting to execute a play (ie fielding a batted ball) the fielder can be there without the ball.