The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

How to "cover" for a weak partner

ok a volleyball thread made me think about this and it's off season for most of us softball folk so why not think about it What do you do to try and cover for a weak partner? Pregame is important but if you are out there with someone that is not that good, just ok, or flat out doesnt have a clue what do you personally do to try and make sure your crew has an acceptable game?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

of course you do.... he/she is your "teammate" ... me personally, I hustle even more.. watch them and cover any holes they leave. talk them up between innings if needed. keep things positive (even if i have to lie to them and tell them they are doing a great job)... getting them through the game and hopefully they will learn from your example is important.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
of course you do.... he/she is your "teammate" ... me personally, I hustle even more.. watch them and cover any holes they leave. talk them up between innings if needed. keep things positive (even if i have to lie to them and tell them they are doing a great job)... getting them through the game and hopefully they will learn from your example is important.
I do all that...then tell them they should take up volleyball officiating.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

CYA......you can only do so much!
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CNB, you should not talk about WG that way....

You working with us this Sunday in Beaumont?
30 teams on 8 fields.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Weak partner

First of all, why are they weak? Are they a brand new umpire - a newbie who is very teachable and soaks things up like a sponge? Or are they a broken down horse -- a 30 year veteran who hit their ceiling 25 years ago and does things a certain way "because that's the way I've always done it"?

A weak partner who is teachable is fun -- in non-high stakes situations like the rec ball grind -- because you can help them improve their game immediately in many cases and see instant, tangible results.

On the other hand, the latter situation if really bad -- you do what you have to do to survive and hope the partner doesn't do something embarrassing or that the game doesn't implode on you
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
CNB, you should not talk about WG that way....

You working with us this Sunday in Beaumont?
30 teams on 8 fields.

LOL... no wasnt talking about WG....shoot, most guys (good umpires like you) do that for me, and i appreciate it..lol
Yes, will be in Beaumont Sunday. haven't called a game in over 3 weeks, hope i remember how
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
First of all, why are they weak? Are they a brand new umpire - a newbie who is very teachable and soaks things up like a sponge? Or are they a broken down horse -- a 30 year veteran who hit their ceiling 25 years ago and does things a certain way "because that's the way I've always done it"?
Well I was actually asking a generic question trying to get some real responses to about all situations. Where this came from was a comment form a UIC, had a partner not real good at 3 person, I was PU rotated to 3rd 1BU didn't come home (when he was free to) so i had to bust it back to home and make a call there, no big deal got it covered, but UIC mentioned I should have directed my partner more and got him in the right place to cover the play at home. I agreed with him, but this is the heart of the question, along with some high school games I had this year with a couple of weak partners just wondering how you all "cover" for this. Do you talk more to let them know where you expect them to be? Do you say screw them I got my responsibilities covered let the coaches take their head off? (IMO not an option as we are a team like it or not for that game) Or just do your best and pray they don't get you in trouble?
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Will say it again... ALWAYS cover for your partner.
If you let him get hung out to dry and then gets reamed by the coach it hurts you BOTH as a team.
If its someone you don't like and have requested not to work with them, but still get assigned with that person. COVER for them anyways.
Having trolled this forum for a while I have seen some people say some silly *** stuff (myself included..lol) but, I make a mental note for some of the people who say things like "screw my partner this and screw my partner that" or something to that effect, and I NEVER EVER want to work with them.
For 6-7 innings you are married to that person "for better or worse" ... get divorced AFTER the game.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Cajun,
I agree you cover for them, what I want to know, admittedly it is difficult to give an idea as there are several situations that might occur in a 7 inning game....but is HOW do you cover for them? Do you just keep an extra eye on their area of the diamond? Do you talk more to "remind" them what they should be doing? Again what do you actually do to "cover" for them? Some past ways you have or things you can think of that might happen that would allow you to help them out.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Cajun,
I agree you cover for them, what I want to know, admittedly it is difficult to give an idea as there are several situations that might occur in a 7 inning game....but is HOW do you cover for them? Do you just keep an extra eye on their area of the diamond? Do you talk more to "remind" them what they should be doing? Again what do you actually do to "cover" for them? Some past ways you have or things you can think of that might happen that would allow you to help them out.

ahhh now i understand.... you want specific's. D#amn picky umpires... lol
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

In regards to your 1BU blown coverage at home... unless you know they are going to blow it in advance (dont ask me how you would know this) you can only do what you did... Cover his @ss... If someone see's you turning and point him to home, all hell is gonna break loose (now everyone knows that the blue team doesn't know what they are doing) Now that being said... your 3BU should have seen this and should meet up with him in center field 'tween innings and give him the good word. and of course,there is the post-game meeting to rehash this.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions are not to be confused with actual umpire mechanics, at any time.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In regards to your 1BU blown coverage at home... unless you know they are going to blow it in advance (dont ask me how you would know this) you can only do what you did... Cover his @ss... If someone see's you turning and point him to home, all hell is gonna break loose (now everyone knows that the blue team doesn't know what they are doing) Now that being said... your 3BU should have seen this and should meet up with him in center field 'tween innings and give him the good word. and of course,there is the post-game meeting to rehash this.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions are not to be confused with actual umpire mechanics, at any time.
Don't be so modest. You are a good umpire, one that seems to always be
watching when not calling and asking questions when with, for lack of better
word, more experience. I have seen and worked with you enough to know
that you are not one to "hang his partner out." Even with more experienced
umpires, I have seen and heard you give them advice, and usually good
stuff.

Now that I have sucked up, see you Sunday. Maybe we are on the same
field. Hope so.
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Now that I have sucked up, see you Sunday. Maybe we are on the same
field. Hope so.
Any bets on who shows up already in his plate gear?
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Any bets on who shows up already in his plate gear?
If you are thinking me, you are right. They all know on 2 on 1 off, I start
on the plate.
--Mark Twain.