The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 1BHoover!
Question

Can a player be pinch hit or pinch ran for and re-enter the game in their original defensive position? If so, can this be repeated or only once?
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Speaking ASA, any player can re-enter once. It used to be only starters but now it is for any players but after they re-enter once, they cannot do that again. We do Fed. ball in the fall and I don't have the new rule book yet but I think it may be the same. Dave
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Much obliged

Thanks for the answer back. I thought I was correct, however, the blue and the other team's coach looked at me like I was an idiot.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Fed is also the same.

Steve M
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

QUOTE: Can a player be pinch hit or pinch ran for and re-enter the game in their original defensive position? If so, can this be repeated or only once?

The player must re-enter in their original offensive position........I don't care where they play defense......

And as Shipwreck said.......they can only do it once......and yes FED is the same.

Joel
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Much obliged

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BHoover!
Thanks for the answer back. I thought I was correct, however, the blue and the other team's coach looked at me like I was an idiot.
I can understand why. As GCB noted, you asked about defensive positioning and re-entry. One has nothing to do with the other. Any player in the line-up may play any defensive position with the exception of a pitcher who was removed from the position by rule.

Even though a player may re-enter in the defensive half of the inning, the only factor taken into consideration is the location of the re-entry in the offensive line-up.

Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Twice this year I have had coaches come to tell me substitutions and it went something like this.........

"OK blue............I am moving Susie (#9) to right field from first base........and putting Rita (#11) at first........and I am switching my 2nd baseman and moving her to SS and putting in #3 at 2nd..........

So Rita will be hitting in Susie's spot and Susie will be hitting for my Right Fielder........etc., etc. ......

I almost blew a brain vessel attempting to straighten out one of them.............

The coach was CONVINCED he had the sub rule down........and I was trying to explain otherwise........

It was like trying to speak Portuguese to a Spaniard........

In all honesty though........coaches here can go 6 years without ever having to report a sub..........6U through 10U.......

It can be darn confusing to them when they finally have to.............grin

Joel
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Around here, coaches don't typically have to worry about line up / subsitution issues until national qualifiers.

Up until then, most games (not just the young bratter - $0.02 - leagues) are played with bat-the-roster if not required, then coach's choice, and unlimited defensive subsitution.

This means the coaches at tournament time are frantically trying to understand how to do a line up card properly, when to inform the umpire of a substitution, and some brave souls even try to use DP/DEFO.

It makes the tournaments interesting as umpires also have to knock the cob-webs out of the brains for these rules.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks All

Appreciate all the guidance. I will definitely use this correctly now that I have the knowledge. It's sometimes tought to remember how your old coach used to manage. I
really appreciate the help.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yo.......1BHoover.......

Most of us started as players or coaches.......

Glad you took the time to clarify something that was not clear in your mind........

Congratulations!!

Joel
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Still Learning to Manage

I've been a player forever it seems like and now I'm doing the coaching as well (since we were not going to have a team at all otherwise)...sure is tough! It was alot easier
to focus on playing 1B without managing a lineup...lol.

I'm out, ya'll take it easy. See ya'll down the road...
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Subj: No need to be an a**!
Date: 4/30/02 3:13:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

This is a message from 1BHoover! at The Official Forum ( http://www.officialforum.com/index.php ). The The Official Forum owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email 1BHoover!, you can use this online form:
http://www.officialforum.com/member....rm&userid=2191

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Re: your reply to my question, I figured it a given that on a re-entry the player remains in the same batting spot. So you can see why they
looked at me like an idiot...good for you! As
I stated, I applied the rule correctly in the
first place...just didn't ask the question in
the clearest manner. Thanks.

Nothing like a little on the side. I wasn't trying to be an a**. I was just trying to explain why they looked at him like an idiot.