The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Question You Must Be Kidding Me!!!!!!

I just worked an adult SP game (ASA rules) tonight. After the 2nd pitch of the game, visiting team started *****ing. Even their scorekeeper got into it telling me that I was in the wrong position to make a call on a tag play (he was seated in the 1st base dugout!!!).
I gave the entire team a warning that anymore would result in ejections and/or forfeit.
About 2 "reasonably" quiet innins later, the coach of the visiting team approached me at the plate & said he felt that I was making calls against them purposefully since I issued the warning....I assured him that I was not.
Next play, Catcher (visiting team in field) misses tag on runner coming home, and starts hollering, I let it go (my mistake).....but the next pitch, I call "STRIKE" and catcher (visiting team) turns around and says, "Strike? I thought it hit the plate."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Comments please.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

thats what beer league is. This is like a "sanitation engineer" complaining he has to work around garbage all day. Thats the job.

whats the prob?
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire
I just worked an adult SP game (ASA rules) tonight. After the 2nd pitch of the game, visiting team started *****ing.
Welcome to slow pitch.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Comments please.
Start calling JO fastpitch? That is one reason I don't do AA ball....it's just a reason to relive old memories and when your not as good as you remember blame it on the blue, using words you have perfected since you used them in high school!
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Start calling JO fastpitch? That is one reason I don't do AA ball....it's just a reason to relive old memories and when your not as good as you remember blame it on the blue, using words you have perfected since you used them in high school!
Yup.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I have worked three different men's slow pitch leagues every year for the last eight years. I believe that unless you set the tone early and maybe often you'll here this crap nonstop. Give one or two of these yahoo's the heave-ho and you won't have as many problems. Everywhere I go now they know I am firm but fair. Set your limits and when they get crossed send them packing!
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... telling me that I was in the wrong position to make a call on a tag play ...
Well, were you?
Quote:
I gave the entire team a warning that anymore would result in ejections and/or forfeit.
After the 2nd pitch you warned the team about a forfeit? Wow...
Quote:
but the next pitch, I call "STRIKE" and catcher (visiting team) turns around and says, "Strike? I thought it hit the plate."
Why would the catcher argue with you if the pitch was called a strike?
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Why would the catcher argue with you if the pitch was called a strike?
Because he thought it hit the plate, read the OP again.
________
WELLBUTRIN INJURY LAWYER

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:22pm.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Because he thought it hit the plate, read the OP again.
Which benefitted his team and disproved the coach's argument.

But I think that is the point which prompted the comment, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!".
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just worked an adult SP game (ASA rules) tonight. After the 2nd pitch of the game, visiting team started *****ing. Even their scorekeeper got into it telling me that I was in the wrong position to make a call on a tag play (he was seated in the 1st base dugout!!!).
About 2 "reasonably" quiet innins later, the coach of the visiting team approached me at the plate & said he felt that I was making calls against them purposefully since I issued the warning....I assured him that I was not.
Next play, Catcher (visiting team in field) misses tag on runner coming home, and starts hollering, I let it go (my mistake).....but the next pitch, I call "STRIKE" and catcher (visiting team) turns around and says, "Strike? I thought it hit the plate."

...the coach of the visiting team approached me at the plate & said he felt that I was making calls against them purposefully since I issued the warning...

He questioned your integrity. That's an IMMEDIATE ejection.

Bob
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Well, were you?
For arguments sake, let's say I could have been in a BETTER position - but either way, single umpire game...a call has to be made..safe or out.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gum, assuming you were in the right position (and how could you not be, unless you were still behind the plate(but could still call what you see)), we all know that the "wrong position" complaint is a standard "weak" one.
The only mistake that I see was the ejection/forfeit warning words.
i think its best to just say "thats enough", then eject later if needed. The only way a forfeit would be enforced is if that team didnt have enough players left...
I may just warn a coach who approaches and quietly makes that"favoritism" comment, but would eject if it was yelled to me. Yes, your integrity was questioned, which is ejectable, but I would rule depending on how he said it= game management is a balance between not being abused while controlling the game.....
Any close play at the plate will usually have some comments, depends on what the catcher said......

Last edited by archangel; Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 11:00am.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Any close play at the plate will usually have some comments, depends on what the catcher said......
No close plays at plate, arch. It was just a pitch.
Thanks for your comments though.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

...the coach of the visiting team approached me at the plate & said he felt that I was making calls against them purposefully since I issued the warning...

He questioned your integrity. That's an IMMEDIATE ejection.

Bob
I was waiting to see if someone said that so I could say
"ABSOLUTELY!"
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I was waiting to see if someone said that so I could say
"ABSOLUTELY!"
Amen to that! That should be immediate.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.