The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

For some reason yesterday, maybe because of the numbers of hits, I really took notice of where the bats were landing. First base line, third base line, home team dugout, visiting team dugout....
The questions are:
1. Do you guys/gals have a rule-of-thumb for what a thrown bat is?
2. If a bat lands along the third base line, do you, as a PU, try to get the bat out of the way for incoming runners?
Thanks!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

If a bat is tossed and doesn't hit anyone or cause anyone to duck, no problem. If a bat is on the 3rd base line and I have a world of time, I'll move it. Otherwise I leave it alone.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
1. Do you guys/gals have a rule-of-thumb for what a thrown bat is?
If you are talking about USC, then yes. It must be thrown intentionally (not slipped) and with emotion (e.g. frustration, anger, etc.). This would evoke, optionally, a warning, and if repeated (or possibly without the warning), and ejection. Depends on the situation.

If you are talking about interference, it must get in the way of the play.

If you are talking about safety, it must be in the direction of people and with enough force to be a threat to safety. This does not require intent or emotion. This is not specifically addressed in ASA rules or POEs. This would evoke a warning, possible ejection if repeated.

Quote:
2. If a bat lands along the third base line, do you, as a PU, try to get the bat out of the way for incoming runners?
Thanks!
No. If live action is underway (i.e. incoming runners) I have other things to do.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Bat throwing, can be a stickie situation: If after a hit the bat goes anywhere right or left of me or the catcher there is nothing to do. Sometimes the bat comes back at me or the catcher. If that is the case, I will casually mention sonething to the coach like..... Coach so and so needs to be a little more careful with her bat. They are usually very responsive and will say something to the girl. If it is on the third base line, and there was a runner on second, I will usually kick it away if there is time. The only thing you need to worry about as an umpire, when you move the bat, if it in turn ends up in a place where someone gets hurt, you can be held liable. On the other hand, if you leave it alone and someone slides into it or trips over it , it is only part of the game. Most of the time the catcher will get rid of it if it is in the way.
NIF