The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

This happened last night to a partner I shared the diamond with tonight. It made for some interesting conversation. Runners on second and third, 1 out, infield single. Runner on third starts home and gets caught in a run down between third and home. Runner on second not paying attention runs to and past third before she realizes her teamate is in a rundown. Instead of going back and re-touching third she cuts the corner and heads back to second. Never reaches second. When defense get runner out between third and home. Runner that was on second now turns back and goes to third and is safe on a attempted tag. Once dead ball is called defensive coach wants runner now standing on third called out for not properly touching third on her way back to second, which she never made back too. What's the call?
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Safe at third. She could miss it ten times going back and forth, but if she reaches third safely, she can't be out for missing the bag previously, whatever direction she was running when she missed it.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree with greymule. No different than if she just stood off the bag until the rundown was over and then touched.

Is there any difference if she HAD made it back to 2B?

I don't think so, since the remedy for a missed base is to return and retouch, which she did. Since R1 (who was out in the rundown) did not make it safely back to 3B, there was no need for R2 to retouch 3B and then go back to 2B. Retouching 3B was all she had to do.

Long winded way of saying... SAFE.