The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Canada vs China (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/47298-canada-vs-china.html)

RKBUmp Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43pm

Canada vs China

Obstruction or not? Not like the fielder could just dissapear from the baseline after dropping ball. Not to mention, was just a fraction of a second, dropped it, immediatly picked it back up and tagged her again.

Also, anyone catch the field ump like 2 plays before that was standing directly in the throwing lane on the possible pick off from catch to 2nd?

socalumps Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp
Obstruction or not? Not like the fielder could just dissapear from the baseline after dropping ball. Not to mention, was just a fraction of a second, dropped it, immediatly picked it back up and tagged her again.

Also, anyone catch the field like 2 plays before that was standing directly in the throwing lane on the possible pick off from catch to 2nd?

I think on the obs ...I have a nothing? Both seemed to be doing what they should have done....all at once! Or there a bouts!!

AtlUmpSteve Fri Aug 15, 2008 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalumps
I think on the obs ...I have a nothing? Both seemed to be doing what they should have done....all at once! Or there a bouts!!

Where is "doing what she should" in the obstruction rule? The fielder chose that position, did not possess the ball, and hindered the runner. That's obstruction.

Want to avoid obstruction? Simple. Don't be where you hinder the runner, or else have possession of the ball. She did neither, so she wasn't doing what she should.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Aug 15, 2008 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp

Also, anyone catch the field ump like 2 plays before that was standing directly in the throwing lane on the possible pick off from catch to 2nd?

She dropped it; her bad. Now she can't legally hinder the runner. as long as she hindered the runner before she did have possession, obstruction is the obvious call.

Dakota Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
She dropped it; her bad. Now she can't legally hinder the runner. as long as she hindered the runner before she did have possession, obstruction is the obvious call.

Does the international rule still recognize "about to receive"?

MNBlue Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:16am

I don't know how current this is, but I couldn't find anything changing it.

ISF 8.7.b

b. When a fielder prevents the runner from making a base, or impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner
who is legally running bases; if the fielder is
1. Not in possession of the ball, or
2. Not in the act of fielding a batted ball, or
3. Making a fake tag without the ball.
4. In possession of the ball and he pushes a runner off a base in an attempt to gain an out, or
5. In possession of the ball, but not in the act of making a play on the runner which intentionally impedes the
progresso0f that runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

I believe ISF may have changed before or about the same time as ASA.

IamMatt Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I believe ISF may have changed before or about the same time as ASA.

If she dropped the ball and was picking it back up, wouldn't it have to be "about to retrieve?" LOL