The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
It doesnt matter, it is a signal universally recognized as a strike. Some like it, some dont.. I cant imagine anyone looking at it really being confused as to what the umpire is calling. Are you really confused by it or just dont prefer it?
Actually, any right hand/arm movement on a non-batted pitch is recognized as a strike or an out on a play which is why I have always avoided pointing with my right hand.

It's also why an umpire shouldn't be pointing to 1B on ball four.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Well stated. It equally applies to NCAA, ASA, and ISF mechanics and signals. They are universally recognized, some like them, some don't, I can't imagine anyone looking at them being really confused as to what the umpire is calling.

So, are you really confused by them, or just don't prefer them. If you simply just don't prefer them, I think you have told us that, more than once, and that you prefer MLB. Some people prefer uniform standards, some people prefer individuality. The people that decide things in NCAA, ASA and ISF prefer uniform standards. You don't (either decide things, nor prefer).

Oh, well.
Yeah so.. its being discussed so I'm chiming in being a discussion board and all.

This ISF umpire in a dork suit.. 2B BU made a moving out/safe call and was still not stopped and in position for the play at 2B. She was still moving. It was terrible. A few feet for a call at 2B when she is already at 2B.. and she f'd it up.

It just so happens that I am chiming in when umpires are on the biggest watched softball event and are in uniforms that are completely absurd, and are engaging in out/safes and other things that should not be occurring with such frequency at that level of ball.

So while you guys are worried about making sure every one looks like dorks in dork suits doing a perfect hammer, I'd take a different route and be teaching and preaching timing and GOOD appearance and making good calls.

I have a different approach. Be believable, look good, be good. If your hammer is a little different, or your slot different, but you are a good umpire.. you should be ISF. If you do a perfect hammer but suck as an umpire, you should not be ISF.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah so.. its being discussed so I'm chiming in being a discussion board and all.

This ISF umpire in a dork suit.. 2B BU made a moving out/safe call and was still not stopped and in position for the play at 2B. She was still moving. It was terrible. A few feet for a call at 2B when she is already at 2B.. and she f'd it up.

It just so happens that I am chiming in when umpires are on the biggest watched softball event and are in uniforms that are completely absurd, and are engaging in out/safes and other things that should not be occurring with such frequency at that level of ball.

So while you guys are worried about making sure every one looks like dorks in dork suits doing a perfect hammer, I'd take a different route and be teaching and preaching timing and GOOD appearance and making good calls.

I have a different approach. Be believable, look good, be good. If your hammer is a little different, or your slot different, but you are a good umpire.. you should be ISF. If you do a perfect hammer but suck as an umpire, you should not be ISF.
And, I agree 110%. If we had to choose between a perfect hammer and blowing the call, or a bad signal and a correct call, it should be obvious which is more important.

BUT, you come across as preferring the (shall we say) "nonstandard" (according to those who say what "standard should be) signal, even when the correct call is made. The perfect hammer, the manual perfect position, and the right call; well, isn't that the ideal of all worlds? Well, it would appear not, based on your posts; you want the individuality, you have said.

So, back to my question. "So, are you really confused by them, or just don't prefer them."
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

So, back to my question. "So, are you really confused by them, or just don't prefer them."
There is nothing confusing about them. Of course not. They are robotic in appearance. For many they are forced and appear so. And for many, uncomfortable.

The reason obvious.

I dont prefer "individuality" for just individualities sake.

God, Momma, and McDonalds made us each different, and were we able to do a more comfortable mechanic if it suited us better, an umpire would be that much better.

I dont prefer the knee when calling pitches, but some do. Some call better from the knee. So its absurd to not allow that. So Call better from Gerry Davis. SOmetimes, because of a catchers big dome, Gerry Davis is quite good.

MLB and NCAA have recognized that fact. ASA chooses, once again, to maintain an inferior method.

ASA thinks they discovered the new and improved method handling it.. something the MLB hasnt thought of which could improve MLB calling and that is: dont let them call where they are more comfortable.. force them to an inferior (for them) position.

Thats ASA's idea of improving their umpires. Forcing them to be inferior in the methods for the sake of "uniformity".

Robotics, not mechanics - leading to a degraded performance (for many)
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
God, Momma, and McDonalds made us each different...
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wade...I luv ya man!!! But can you be more clear on your opinions??

I have seen a notible effort on the part of many affiliations to "adjust or at least explore" different mechanics...views..positioning.

And while some may have opinions on what is best...not so best....I think the aim is to "explore" what works for each umpire.

Calling out specific affiliations..groups..entities...probably wont help the cause "brother".........
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that a perfect hammer, or safe out call should not be an either or situation for an association that can draw from every umpire in the world.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Trust me, I wouldn't touch McDonald's food with you hand. Never have and see no reason to start. Besides, in Wade's area, it's more likely to be Jack-in-the-Crack.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...MLB ... MLB ... MLB ... MLB ...
I generally do not respond to robotic mechanics threads, because it is not a topic I am all that interested in, but a couple of points.

1. MLB umpiring is not the gold standard for softball umpiring for several reasons:
a) Bigger crew (4 man minimum)
b) Bigger field
c) Different game
d) Played by adult professional athletes

and, not insignificantly,

e) Is primarily entertainment; athletic competition is a secondary objective. (If you want to see where this entertainment thinking leads, look at some MiLB umpiring antics, and especially LL world series antics.)

I've seen plenty of lazy, poorly positioned, and wrong calls at MLB games, some from the most nearly deified members of the profession. The MLB umpires seem to operate from a tenure position. When was the last time an experienced MLB umpire was demoted for poor performance?

Olympic official selection is heavily political, I would imagine (since everything else about the Olympics is, why wouldn't this be as well?), so to imply that these are the best softball umpires in the world is highly questionable at best.

I have no doubt the umpires from USA are among the best that ASA has at this level, but the need for geographic diversity and responding to political influence means that it is highly unlikely that the crew as a whole is the cream of the world-wide available umpires. Therefore, the emphasis on simplifying the mechanics may be an issue here.

Their uniforms are unspeakably ugly, though.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 04:21pm.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is nothing confusing about them. Of course not. They are robotic in appearance. For many they are forced and appear so. And for many, uncomfortable.

The reason obvious.

I dont prefer "individuality" for just individualities sake.

God, Momma, and McDonalds made us each different, and were we able to do a more comfortable mechanic if it suited us better, an umpire would be that much better.

I dont prefer the knee when calling pitches, but some do. Some call better from the knee. So its absurd to not allow that. So Call better from Gerry Davis. SOmetimes, because of a catchers big dome, Gerry Davis is quite good.

MLB and NCAA have recognized that fact. ASA chooses, once again, to maintain an inferior method.

ASA thinks they discovered the new and improved method handling it.. something the MLB hasnt thought of which could improve MLB calling and that is: dont let them call where they are more comfortable.. force them to an inferior (for them) position.

Thats ASA's idea of improving their umpires. Forcing them to be inferior in the methods for the sake of "uniformity".

Robotics, not mechanics - leading to a degraded performance (for many)
Yada, yada, yada......I think it is absolutely amazing that you can make so many observations that are contrary to my 20+ years of softball experience with ASA and ISF.

Go figure!
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Besides, in Wade's area, it's more likely to be Jack-in-the-Crack.
Nope. In-n-Out, Dude.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
Nope. In-n-Out, Dude.
Don't know, looks like Jack-in-the-Crack has quite a few in the region. Not saying that Slippin' In-n-Out isn't a player, but from my brief experiences with either were not any better than you standard grease pit burger joint.

And there is nothing wrong with that if it is what you want, but you always have carbon units walking around saying things like "Dude!"

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 03:24pm.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It doesnt matter, it is a signal universally recognized as a strike. Some like it, some dont.. I cant imagine anyone looking at it really being confused as to what the umpire is calling. Are you really confused by it or just dont prefer it?
I think it looks quite stupid.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Just think...our Canadian brethren are forced to wear shirts much like our friends in the Olympics (sans the rainbow colors...who the f thought THAT up). I hope the Olympic shirts are a little more airy than the Canadian shirts. The Canadian shirts attract sweat just like an Elbeco.

As for the double calls: if these ISF umpires from outside the US were umpiring in Seattle, our "pizza" fund would be much larger. We charge $1 for each double call, and we do not accept yuans, yens, rupees or any other currency other than a six pack or a good old American buck.

Meanwhile, from what I have seen Lori Bish (U.S) seems to be having a fine tournament. Oh, and speaking of Canada, CBC is great. for instance, if you are reading this at the right time you will know three hours in advance that M. Phelps won again.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Oh, and speaking of Canada, CBC is great. for instance, if you are reading this at the right time you will know three hours in advance that M. Phelps won again.
Since America is dominating the men's swimming competition willl the IOC now vote to eliminate men's swimming from the Olympics?