The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Nationals (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46883-asa-nationals.html)

IN ASA BLUE Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:41am

ASA Nationals

Anyone else home from their assignment???

We finished last night (Sat.). Our championship went to an "if" game, couldn't have asked for better.

I worked the 10U in Bloomington, In. Everything from the opening ceremonies held at IU's Assembly Hall to the final game was great. The visitors and convention bureau took really good care of us, making sure we were feed and had plenty to drink. On Friday they even grilled steaks and had baked potatoes...uuuummmm, mmmm!

Coaches were great for the most part. A little chirping here and there, but no major problems. The girls all played great and seemed to really have a good time.

Our UIC & Asst. UIC, Dave Maudsley and Jim Haley were great to work for, couldn't ask for better. They pointed out what you could improve on and always had something positive in their critique.

There were a lot of really good umpires assigned here and I learned a lot from them. I was close to having the least experience and this was my first national assignment. I worked really hard all week, as did most umpires who were there, and was rewarded with the plate assignment for the "if" game which ended up deciding the championship.

It's funny, one of the best memories I will take from the week was an evening a bunch of us spent at a local coin laundry. Sitting around telling stories and jokes while we all did our laundry.

If you every get to go to an assignment in Bloomington, In- TAKE IT !!!They will treat you right and have great facilities.

whiskers_ump Sun Aug 03, 2008 01:30pm

Finished up in Sulphur, La., the NAFA 18U. Germantown
Tenn won.

Had a good tournament and worked with one of the members
of this board. TEXASBLOC. Damn good umpire, judgment
and mechanics. Also a nice individual.

Learned couple new rules.

1. If a pitcher changes her delivery when throwing the changeup,
an umpire cannot call a runner out for leaving early.

2. First touch is a Bull Sh*t rule. Could not find the BS rule in
my book.

Really not much unusual. Had a catch and carry that cost the
catching team a run when the fielder went into dugout with the ball.

Had a coach argue a safe call in a 1-0 game at thrid. Unusual because
the player called safe was her own.

Banger at 3rd, runner called safe, coach comes out hollaring, "how
can you make that call?" "Coach, that is your runner, and I can change
the call, and can eject you if you come out here yelling again."
She was so embarrased. Still telling me she was sorry when I
left for home.

Turned down the Championship game. Had to get home for my 46th
wedding anniversary.

JEL Sun Aug 03, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump

wedding anniversary.

Geez glen.
Do you think it might last? Congrats on that. We usually spend our anniversaries on the ballfield somewhere!

12B Southern was bit dis-organized at first, also had 20 umpires for a 16 team tournament which kinda cut into the game totals. It seem that another National didn't get the participants, so those blues were moved to the 12B.

My very first game, bottom of first inning, watching pitcher warm-ups I had to take a poll amongst myself. This gal was throwing with her elbow tight against her side, and the balance of the arm was in a complete horizontal position! My quandry (not reall a quandry, but time to think) was Do I tell coach now? of course I decided no quickly, do I ignore? of corse I couldn't do that either, so the first pitch was IP, and the second, and after the third the coach finally wanted a chat. I explained the rule and wasn't really sure he understood. After about 14 more IP's (and I did let a very few pass) pitcher was pulled. He tried again in a later inning, but IP,IP,IP etc.

Of course we scarred her for life, the UIC, two other blues who called it, as well as couple of the NUS guys! (UIC sent a video out to them). You see, they had played over 180 games this year "AND THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED!" (whats up Texas?)

Other than the initial tournament start (really pre-tournament), and not as much communication as I would have liked, (never met, or even saw the Umpire Coordinater) the only bad things were the heat, and the motel. Wednesday morning, and I had the early game, the water vanished at the motel! No shower, couldn't flush, then I go and get the side arm hurler so I could have a controversial, run rule game for my first outing!

THe Parks and Rec folks were great. We had all we needed, but no steak and potatoes! Food and drinks were always availeable, as well as a washer and dryer at the park it the umpire area, shower, towels and all the needed soaps and stuff.

All in all, it was a very good time. I'm ready fo 2009!

whiskers_ump Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
Geez glen.
Do you think it might last? Congrats on that. We usually spend our anniversaries on the ballfield somewhere!

12B Southern was bit dis-organized at first, also had 20 umpires for a 16 team tournament which kinda cut into the game totals. It seem that another National didn't get the participants, so those blues were moved to the 12B.

My very first game, bottom of first inning, watching pitcher warm-ups I had to take a poll amongst myself. This gal was throwing with her elbow tight against her side, and the balance of the arm was in a complete horizontal position! My quandry (not reall a quandry, but time to think) was Do I tell coach now? of course I decided no quickly, do I ignore? of corse I couldn't do that either, so the first pitch was IP, and the second, and after the third the coach finally wanted a chat. I explained the rule and wasn't really sure he understood. After about 14 more IP's (and I did let a very few pass) pitcher was pulled. He tried again in a later inning, but IP,IP,IP etc.

Of course we scarred her for life, the UIC, two other blues who called it, as well as couple of the NUS guys! (UIC sent a video out to them). You see, they had played over 180 games this year "AND THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED!" (whats up Texas?)

Other than the initial tournament start (really pre-tournament), and not as much communication as I would have liked, (never met, or even saw the Umpire Coordinater) the only bad things were the heat, and the motel. Wednesday morning, and I had the early game, the water vanished at the motel! No shower, couldn't flush, then I go and get the side arm hurler so I could have a controversial, run rule game for my first outing!

THe Parks and Rec folks were great. We had all we needed, but no steak and potatoes! Food and drinks were always availeable, as well as a washer and dryer at the park it the umpire area, shower, towels and all the needed soaps and stuff.

All in all, it was a very good time. I'm ready fo 2009!

First time in 12 years that I was home on time.

Texasbock Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Finished up in Sulphur, La., the NAFA 18U. Germantown
Tenn won.

Had a good tournament and worked with one of the members
of this board. TEXASBLOC. Damn good umpire, judgment
and mechanics. Also a nice individual.

Learned couple new rules.

1. If a pitcher changes her delivery when throwing the changeup,
an umpire cannot call a runner out for leaving early.

2. First touch is a Bull Sh*t rule. Could not find the BS rule in
my book.

Really not much unusual. Had a catch and carry that cost the
catching team a run when the fielder went into dugout with the ball.

Had a coach argue a safe call in a 1-0 game at thrid. Unusual because
the player called safe was her own.

Banger at 3rd, runner called safe, coach comes out hollaring, "how
can you make that call?" "Coach, that is your runner, and I can change
the call, and can eject you if you come out here yelling again."
She was so embarrased. Still telling me she was sorry when I
left for home.

wedding anniversary.

Hey Papa!,

It was indeed my pleasure to work with the "legend". Thank you for the kind words. It was indeed a treat to finally meet you and even nicer to get to call a few games with you at Sulfur.

Take care of yourself and Ill be looking for you soon.

Regards,
Andy:)

wadeintothem Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:51pm

Well I'm also back and I also worked with someone from this board, buggbob. Great guy with a great sense of humor and a damn fine official. He really does wear his bug glasses :) He brought his wife who was also a very nice person and was fun to be around. She almost seems to really like being around umpires :D They are driving 101 from CA to WA.. so they should be home and posting by 2009 or so.

Over 50 Stealths were confiscated, which was quite amazing (most being the purple/white ones). I'm sure this will be an ongoing issue and likely a subject of some OKC discussion because apparently we werent the only tourney collecting these bats en masse.

Tourney had a few issues, but I had no trouble or complaints, not so much as even a coaches warning. Really a fun time!

AtlUmpSteve Sun Aug 03, 2008 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Over 50 Stealths were confiscated, which was quite amazing (most being the purple/white ones). I'm sure this will be an ongoing issue and likely a subject of some OKC discussion because apparently we werent the only tourney collecting these bats en masse.

Why? There are no new Stealth models added to the Non-Approved Bat list; just the ones that have been there, SCN4 and SCN6. And the following bats show on the Approved Bat list:

Easton
SCN4B
Stealth Comp CNT (-10)
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN5
Stealth Comp CNT
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN5B
Stealth Comp CNT (-9)
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN6B
CNT Stealth Comp -10
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN7
CNT Stealth Comp
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN7B
CNT Stealth Comp -9
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN9
Stealth Comp CNT
5/11/2007

Sounds to me like someone created a personal interpretation.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 03, 2008 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Why? There are no new Stealth models added to the Non-Approved Bat list;
<snip for space>
Sounds to me like someone created a personal interpretation.

I believe he was referring to the number of Eastons which were damaged/cracked.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Aug 03, 2008 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I believe he was referring to the number of Eastons which were damaged/cracked.

I have never seen one cracked, that hadn't split in half immediately.

wadeintothem Sun Aug 03, 2008 09:47pm

Quote:

I have never seen one cracked, that hadn't split in half immediately.

At the area where handle meets the barrel are many little cracks on the white part.. you've missed it because you've not been shown what to look for (same with me before this).

Holding the bat by the handle, if you shake it, it wiggles.. it is clearly loose.
MANY were this way, some were not. I know over 50 were taken at our tourney.

I did not routinely check a bat this way and I imagine most dont... I'm sure it will be discussed at higher levels because ours was not the only tourney where this was discovered.

EdJW Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12am

Were "confiscated" bats returned after teams' last games?

What happened with the confiscated bats after the tournament. If the bats are defective, the players/parents could return them to Easton for replacement. Or is the tournament returning the bats en masse for replacement?

Skahtboi Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:26am

I don't believe the bats are "defective," per se, but this is more of a case of the nature of the beast. If this is the bat that I think it is, over time and with use, small cracks start to develop around where the barrel of the bat is joined with the handle. I removed a few this year during playoffs.

Skahtboi Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27am

Wow. This thread has been thoroughly hijacked. :rolleyes:

DaveASA/FED Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28am

The bats are returned to the owners after they are eliminated or win the tournament. They are on their own to get their money back, or a new bat.

SRW Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:02pm

It's 10am Monday and I'm waking up from about 12 hours of sleep after having been the umpire coordinator for the Girls' 18-U "A" Fast Pitch Western National.

I was exhausted. Still am, but that's the lack of a cup of coffee (which is brewing as I type.)

We pulled the white/purple eastons as well. Fractures near the handle/barrel. We actually had one separate in the game. Bad juju.

Overall, had a good time. Love this years' coin. Many memories. And good shrimp/clam boil!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW
What happened with the confiscated bats after the tournament. If the bats are defective, the players/parents could return them to Easton for replacement. Or is the tournament returning the bats en masse for replacement?

Cannot return what you do not own.

The damaged bats should have been claimed by the players/teams after elimination from the tournament or after the tournament was completed.

SRW Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:07pm

PS:
This is the bat we were having issues with. Early reports from OKC was that over 25 of them were pulled from the Gold on Sunday alone.

http://baseball.eastonsports.com/ima.../scn6b_bat.gif

DaveASA/FED Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19pm

Ya we pulled a bunch of those same bats from the 18U A in Moline. TD said he had 35-40 of them upstairs. Had a few of the black stealths where the barrel moved relative to the handle adn those got tossed too. Had a dad that was NOT happy about that bat he just paid $350 for getting taken, UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!

IN ASA BLUE Mon Aug 04, 2008 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

I was thinking the same thing.... :rolleyes:

qcumpire Mon Aug 04, 2008 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ya we pulled a bunch of those same bats from the 18U A in Moline. TD said he had 35-40 of them upstairs. Had a few of the black stealths where the barrel moved relative to the handle adn those got tossed too. Had a dad that was NOT happy about that bat he just paid $350 for getting taken, UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!

I took three out from one team in one game. There's a definite design of manufacturing flaw at Easton.

By the way Dave, did it take you less time to drive home than it did to complet the two plate games you did Thursday and Friday?:D

Chess Ref Mon Aug 04, 2008 06:52pm

Vegas

I was in Vegas. 10 and 12's B. I had a nice solid week as an umpire and only lost about $75 playing poker all week:) .I made it a personal POE to work on nipping it in the bud when dealing with coaches. And I did.

Had one in the dugout start *****ing on the 3rd pitch of the game. I did the line up card stroll and handled it nicely and professionally. Not another peep.

Had one pitcher start off the first inng by throwing low. Fans really on me about not calling it:rolleyes: . She walked in a couple of runs. I wouldn't give the below the knee strike.
After that inning, everything came up,and that team may have walked one more batter. Me thinks they were just playing me in the first and hoping for that strike....;)

Got to work with several very good umpires. My games were really mundane. All week I had one on field conversation with a coach,he said I missed the call, a banger at first, and wanted to get a second opinion.:)

I did get to do the Championship game. So i considered that my second biggest game I've done. A sort of ASA coming out party if you will.

I made my drive home in 7.5 hours with only one bathroom break so I should get some kinda trucker award for that.:cool:

mccann Mon Aug 04, 2008 08:02pm

10u National

I also worked the 10u National at Bloomington, Ind. I agree with ASA Blue that if you are offered a National there you will receive not only great Hospatality, and the people will do what they have to and make your tournament a great experience.

wadeintothem Tue Aug 05, 2008 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

Really?

What did you wanna talk about? Scores? How little suzie did?

This is about umpire stuff @ nationals. :rolleyes:

DaveASA/FED Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcumpire
By the way Dave, did it take you less time to drive home than it did to complet the two plate games you did Thursday and Friday?:D

O real funny....ok I laughed :D To let everyone else in on the joke, my last two plate games of the tournament (combined) went 5 hours 20 minutes there were 35 runs scored and we played 13 1/2 innings, yes thats right 1 went 6 1/2 the other 7, so no extra inning games just a couple of long drawn out lot of scoring games. You know I just wanted to get good and warm in that plate gear!!:p No wonder those were my last plate games huh? Worked bases Saturday and Sunday, old Wild Bill wasnt taking a chance on me putting the games behind:D

Back to OP about experience at Nationals this year:
I think I was on the diamond for the only official protest of the tournament. Short version, F3 fielding a dribbler down 1st base line, it hits the heal of her glove and goes about 2 feet to her left as she is reaching for the ball BR contacts her right foot and spins her she had her hand on the ball when the contact was made, so in our judgement she still had the chance at an out (actually went ahead and threw it and did get the out if it would have continued on)....but we called the INT and sent runner back to 1st...SO what did he protest? He protested our interpertation of the INT rule, he said after F3 contacted the ball and it went away from her there was no longer a chance of INT per the rule. Well we all know that is false, heck even if another fielder has a chance at an out on a muffed ball you can have an out for INT. BUT that was what he protested, well needless to say protest went in our favor and we got back to playing. Other than that and the above listed marathon plate games it was a smooth tournament. One of the best group of umpires I have ever had the honor of working with and it showed with the way the games went. And I have not been to Bloomington, IN for a national yet (even though I am an Indiana guy) but I have to say the two Illinois Nationals I have been to they treat umpires VERY well, I would not hestitate to go to another over there if I am granted the assignment!!

BretMan Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:10pm

For all you guys doing Nationals...no one's mentioned the most important thing...

Did everybody's pants match?

Seriously, how did the whole "buy your pants from us" thing work out. Was there a uniform uniformity among the uniforms? Anybody get busted for not having "official pants"?

JEL Tue Aug 05, 2008 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan
For all you guys doing Nationals...no one's mentioned the most important thing...

Seriously, how did the whole "buy your pants from us" thing work out. Was there a uniform uniformity among the uniforms? Anybody get busted for not having "official pants"?

----- NO-----!!!!!

I scrambled to buy new Fechheimer's myself from ASA properties. They were shipped in plenty of time. Get to the clinic at Nat, and lo and behold, we were informed we wouldn't be "counted against" if we did not have ASA properties Fechheimers. There was supposedly a little more demand than supply.

There were a few pants that were really different in shade. I also referred above to ASA properties Fechheimers and Fechheimers. There is a difference! I had several pair of Fechheimers, but none with "western cut pockets" so I had to get the "official" stuff. All mine were also combos, which are not available through ASA, so I had to buy plate as well as base pants! It seemed the prevailing thought was as long as they are Fechheimers it's ok!

I could have "got away" with what I had, but have no regrets doing as ASA deemed I should do even though I hate those western cut pockets!

wadeintothem Tue Aug 05, 2008 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan

Some (a few) were using Honigs etc.. with the excuse that ASA was out of their size pants.

Overall, looked good though.

I'm with ASA intent that we shouldnt be wearing the 14.95 walley world gray pants... but I think heather gray UMPIRE pants should be allowed..

It was a nonissue at our tourney.

bkbjones Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:54pm

Quote:

UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!

What? Wild Bill had FUN? Hope you emnjoyed him as much as we always do. We're lucky in many regards to have both Malcolm and Wild Bill on hand.

BTW, how was the fight?????:eek:

MichaelVA2000 Wed Aug 06, 2008 03:29am

Quote:

To let everyone else in on the joke, my last two plate games of the tournament (combined) went 5 hours 20 minutes there were 35 runs scored and we played 13 1/2 innings, yes thats right 1 went 6 1/2 the other 7, so no extra inning games just a couple of long drawn out lot of scoring games. You know I just wanted to get good and warm in that plate gear!!:p No wonder those were my last plate games huh? Worked bases Saturday and Sunday, old Wild Bill wasnt taking a chance on me putting the games behind:D

OK, who told Dave he was getting paid by the pitch?;)

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 06, 2008 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
OK, who told Dave he was getting paid by the pitch?;)

You don't?

However, that is a good discussion. How many were paid the minimum permitted by code ($18per game, $25 begining 2009) and who was paid more?

DaveASA/FED Wed Aug 06, 2008 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
What? Wild Bill had FUN? Hope you emnjoyed him as much as we always do. We're lucky in many regards to have both Malcolm and Wild Bill on hand.

Ya this is the second time I have had the chance to work for Wild Bill, last year at Normal/Bloomington ILL also, and it was also a fun time. He has a great way of approaching things that goes along with my style so it really makes me personally feel comfortable about working for him. Good advice given in a constructive way which is very much appreciated.

Now what fight are you talking about?

And MAN do I wish I was getting paid by the pitch on those games. Long counts on most batters, then they hit the ball, lots of base runners, and as I said tons of runs scored....but NOT for the same team so we couldn't get a run rule out of it....kept them out of extra innings but still couldn't drive the bus smooth!!

SRW Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:23am

Quote:

However, that is a good discussion. How many were paid the minimum permitted by code ($18per game, $25 begining 2009) and who was paid more?

We paid out $20/assignment at the 18A-Western here in Seattle.

MNBlue Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
We paid out $20/assignment at the 18A-Western here in Seattle.

At the 10U-B/18U-A Northern National in Rochester, MN, we were paid the minimum.

Angler Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:04am

We got $20/assignment at the ASA/USA 16U in Kentucky.

Welpe Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11am

Just out of curiosity, are traveling costs on the umpire or are they covered/reimbursed by ASA?

MNBlue Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe
Just out of curiosity, are traveling costs on the umpire or are they covered/reimbursed by ASA?

This year, we only had 'Host' and 'Host Exchange' umpires, so the travel costs were on the umpire.

When I travelled to OKC last year, I was reimbursed the price of the least expensive airline ticket dated three weeks prior to the event. I chose to drive, since I wanted to have my car available.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe

There are 3 categories of umpires at ASA Nationals; host, host exchange, and at large. Host umpires are from the host association, and are only housed and/or reimbursed travel if that is the local policy, and at the expense of the host association. In any case where a local association reimburses travel, you can assume that you paid it into a travel fund as part of your umpire registration (in case you wondered why each association has a different registration fee).

Host exchange umpires are berths that belong to the host, but are traded to another association; those are always housed by the host, but travel reimbursement is an issue up to the association that the umpire belongs to. If Georgia swaps picks at the Men's D SP with Alabama for slots in their 12 A FP, for example, it is up to each state to determine if they reimburse travel for their umpires.

At large slots are assignments made by the National Office, or those required by ASA Code to be from other associations in the region, or other associations by registration (in Modified and 16" SP). At large umpires are reimbursed travel by the ASA National Office, up to limits set for air travel (the cost of the least expensive ticket purchased in advance).

Welpe Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:45am

Thanks Steve & MNBlue, that makes sense. I have quite a few years before I have to "worry" about such a thing but its good to know anyways. :)

Andy Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29pm

Quote:

Wild Bill is our UIC for the Men's C Nationals coming up at the end of the month...I'm looking forward to meeting him and working for him.

I've heard a lot of stories.......

whiskers_ump Wed Aug 06, 2008 02:26pm

Quote:

You don't?

In the NAFA 18U, we got $29.00 for pool games and $29.00 for bracket games.

$27.00 for warm up games on Sunday. Pre-Nationals used
to get teams familiar with the fields. 1 hr. finish batter.

Had 6 warm up games, and 13 pool/bracket.

SRW Wed Aug 06, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

There are 3 categories of umpires at ASA Nationals; host, host exchange, and at large.

What about Rotational?

SRW Wed Aug 06, 2008 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
Wild Bill is our UIC for the Men's C Nationals coming up at the end of the month...I'm looking forward to meeting him and working for him.

If you can handle a gruff good ol' boy, then you'll like him. He won't put up with the Men's crap at all...

AtlUmpSteve Wed Aug 06, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
What about Rotational?

That one of several subcategories of at-large picks made by the National Office; it also includes what is sometimes called "Pick 6".

Still is entered on the umpires roster by the National Office as "at-large".

JEL Wed Aug 06, 2008 06:14pm

Quote:

You don't?

The Mrs and I were Host Exchange at 12B in Gadsden, AL. Gadsden paid $25.00 per game which was an unexpected surprise. All were housed and fed well, Alabama umpires recieved travel re-imbursement, Georgia umpires did not, and I'm not sure about the guy from Alaska.

bkbjones Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy

If you hustle, do your job, have fun while you are working, listen and not just hear (yes, there is a difference), be serious when you need to be serious and be lighthearted when you need to be lighthearted, then you and Bill will be just fine.

On the other hand, umpires who may decide to take a pitch off every now and then could well be at home barbecuing Sunday evening/Monday.

argodad Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46am

USA/ASA 12U in Montgomery AL

I apologize for being late to comment, but I think I have a good excuse. I drove home Sunday and reported to the Pensacola Naval Hospital for hip replacement surgery at 0615 Monday.

Parks & Rec and Umpire Coordinators were great. We were paid $25/assignment. 70 teams, 45 umpires. A good mix of first-timers and experienced officials. At 12U, all At-Large bids come from the region, but AL ASA went out of their way to share host-exchanges. We had umpires from Anchorage, WA, NE, OH, not to mention 12 umps from Michigan, including the Forum's own Scooby.

To Wade's relief, the 19 CA teams dominated. The last four standing were from Cali. Corona Angels beat Grapettes 3-2 in 8 innings for the title.

Best moment #1: With R1 on 3rd and R2 on 1st, the Grapettes coach sent R2 back to first after she stole on a foul tip. I was U3. She said, "Foul ball Blue?" I answered, "Foul TIP, coach." Then the light came on. :cool:

Best moment #2: 58-minute, 6 1/2 inning plate game, (Yes, I'm bragging.) Pitchers throwing strikes, batters hitting the ball, fielders making plays. That's fun! :)

Best moment #3: Calling a pool game with Scooby. Good man and a good umpire.

Rachel Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:52am

Irishmafia's deputy UIC got the plate on the final at the Gold. Diane did a great job. Mike, you must be proud.

We were treated very well in OKC. Not one coach was tossed and for the most part they were very well behaved. The games were great.

SRW Tue Aug 12, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
I apologize for being late to comment, but I think I have a good excuse. I drove home Sunday and reported to the Pensacola Naval Hospital for hip replacement surgery at 0615 Monday.

WOW! :eek: You gonna live?

Quote:

Par We had umpires from Anchorage, WA, NE, OH, not to mention 12 umps from Michigan, including the Forum's own Scooby.

Who was the Ump from WA?

IRISHMAFIA Tue Aug 12, 2008 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel
Irishmafia's deputy UIC got the plate on the final at the Gold. Diane did a great job. Mike, you must be proud.

She didn't have a choice, we weren't gonna let her back in the state if she did lousy. There are some advantages to being from a small state like being able to close the gate :D

Always proud of the umpires from DE, but Lil Bit started off in NH, so I have to share.

Dukat Tue Aug 12, 2008 04:16pm

I have to say that my first National was a bit unnerving (18U-A Southern National) . I worked with some good guys and the guys in Ridgeland treated us VERY WELL. If you ever have a chance to do one in Ridgeland, MS take them up on it as they treat you right.

There was a thread somewhere about which is "better" an ASA National or NFHS State and I can't say which is better but I can say that I was more nervous this year at the National than I was at the NFHS State.

argodad Tue Aug 12, 2008 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
WOW! :eek: You gonna live?

Pretty sure :p . It needed to be done. I've been dragging the right leg around the field all season. It was scheduled for later this month, but the surgeon had an opening on 8/4. He was able to do a rather complex surgery called Birmingham hip resurfacing rather than a total hip replacement. Pulled the joint apart, chipped and sanded away all the bone spurs and arthritic junk, put a metal cap on the head of my femur and a metal cup into my pelvic socket -- then put all the pieces back together. The recovery is a bit longer, but the long-term benefits make it worthwhile.

Quote:

Who was the Ump from WA?
Barb Gillespie from Tri-Cities. She had some heat related problems on Monday, but did great the rest of the week. :cool:

SRW Tue Aug 12, 2008 05:23pm

Quote:

Barb Gillespie from Tri-Cities. She had some heat related problems on Monday, but did great the rest of the week. :cool:

Oh yes, I know her. She came and worked with us at the 18-G Western Territorial two weeks prior. How'd she do in the tourney? Who was your UIC?

Was Jack E. the ump from AK?

argodad Wed Aug 13, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Oh yes, I know her. She came and worked with us at the 18-G Western Territorial two weeks prior. How'd she do in the tourney? Who was your UIC?

After she adapted to our heat and humidity, she had a good tournament. I never got to call with her -- we were on opposite park rotations until everyone came together Saturday. She was doing a plate game Saturday while I was doing the water-delivery rotation. Looked good and was in complete command.

Dick Gayler was UIC with Bill Gaulden as his assistant until Thursday. Dick had a family medical emergency, so Bill took over, with Bryan Smith (Michigan) taking over the Asst UIC role.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Jack E. the ump from AK?

Joe F. from Anchorage.

CelticNHBlue Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:34pm

Quote:

Always proud of the umpires from DE, but Lil Bit started off in NH, so I have to share.

I was going to let you take all the credit, Mike, but since you mentioned it... I will share with the rest that Bit and I are oriiginally from the same local group, trained by the same veteran umpires. And to add again, John T is from Vermont and I have had the luxury of working many a tournament and learning a great deal from him; he is truly one of the best, IMO. So two of the three gold finals crew have local New Englande roots and I can't tell you how proud we are of them.

An NCAA D-III national, gold finals, and now she is off to the NPF playoffs in WI next week. I'd have to say that 2008 is Bit's year...

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
I was going to let you take all the credit, Mike, but since you mentioned it... I will share with the rest that Bit and I are oriiginally from the same local group, trained by the same veteran umpires. And to add again, John T is from Vermont and I have had the luxury of working many a tournament and learning a great deal from him; he is truly one of the best, IMO. So two of the three gold finals crew have local New Englande roots and I can't tell you how proud we are of them.

An NCAA D-III national, gold finals, and now she is off to the NPF playoffs in WI next week. I'd have to say that 2008 is Bit's year...

What part of WI? That there's my ol' stompin' grounds...

DaveASA/FED Wed Aug 13, 2008 01:27pm

Ok you got me....where can you find out who worked the final game? Also can you find back a few games too? I know one of the umpires that worked out there, would like to look back and see what their final game was, without having to ask.....in case it was like Thursday :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 13, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Ok you got me....where can you find out who worked the final game? Also can you find back a few games too? I know one of the umpires that worked out there, would like to look back and see what their final game was, without having to ask.....in case it was like Thursday :eek:

ASA isn't very good about including umpires in the box scores, or at least there weren't last week.

There is a board member who can probably answer any question you have and she posted earlier in this thread.

CelticNHBlue Wed Aug 13, 2008 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
What part of WI? That there's my ol' stompin' grounds...

Kimberly, WI is in the second year of a three year contract with NPF to host the post-seson tournament. They are quite busy this year as they also have the ISC mens world fastpitch tournament going on this week.

I had the good fortune of working there last year and had a great time. The fans were great, very knowledgeable, courtious, and into the game. There were at least 4,000 fans per session and they were great; really made for an exciting atmosphere.

Rachel Wed Aug 13, 2008 03:45pm

Dave:

Diane Carden (DE) had the plate
John Stoodley (VT) had 1st
Sue Sawyer (CA) had 3rd

All great umpires and well deserving of the honor.

Tim Ellis (TX) was the plate guy for the loser bracket final and also was going to be the plate guy on the "IF" He is also a terrific umpire. Cindy Brunot (FL) and Mike Connelly (FL) were also on the "IF". Well deserved assignments.

I was honored to be on that staff. Jim Craig and Julie Johnson were co-UIC's so you know it was well run and a lot of fun.

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
Kimberly, WI is in the second year of a three year contract with NPF to host the post-seson tournament. They are quite busy this year as they also have the ISC mens world fastpitch tournament going on this week.

I had the good fortune of working there last year and had a great time. The fans were great, very knowledgeable, courtious, and into the game. There were at least 4,000 fans per session and they were great; really made for an exciting atmosphere.

Good god, that's in the middle of nowhere! Oh well, looks like I won't be able to offer my advice on great watering holes.

Andy Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38am

ASA Men's C FP National

Finished up the tournament on Sunday....what a weekend! This was a fastpitch tournament, but you wouldn't know it by the scores. Many, many games with at least one of the teams scoring in double digits - the worst one I saw was an 18-14 final score. Approx 50 teams in the tournament, ASA three game guarantee format, about 120 games. The lady doing the stats for the tournament said that there were 202 home runs hit during the tournament. I did 12 games (at $20 per) and had at least one home run in each game.

Our UIC was Wild Bill...what a character! This was my first time meeting him and he lived up to every story I've heard. I did get a chance to sit and talk with him one on one the last day of the tourney after my games were finished. I will work for him anytime. SRW and bkbjones - I did tell him that I had "met" you two on the board here...he had good things to say about both of you. He also said that he would work with our state UIC here in AZ to get some of our guys up to Washington next year...that would be a treat.

I only had one ejection in the tournament and it was easy..."YOU HAVE TO BE F....NG KIDDING ME!" after a called strike three.

About the only other unusual thing was that we had one umpire removed from a game during a weather delay on Saturday and sent home...there were near riots in three of the games he was assigned to...Wild Bill said that was the first time he ever had to do something like that.

It was a good tourney and I had a great time...saw some old friends and one I didn't expect to see...he was called at the last minute to replace another umpire with a conflict. Lots of beer was drank and lots of stories were exchanged.....probably me best experience at a national yet.

SRW Tue Sep 02, 2008 01:54pm

ASA Men's Western Class D Slow Pitch

I am done with my National assignment as well. Our tourney concluded last night. The half-inning-ending home run rule is fantastic. Makes for quick games. I think my longest game of the entire weekend lasted 1:05. My shortest was 35 minutes, and was ended by run rule 15/4. Most were in the 45-60 minute time frames. I am amazed how much running the base umpire does in a slow pitch game! I'm slightly sore from not anticipating that.

I was honored enough to be assigned 1B in the final game. I had a call at every base, including the plate. Had 3 rotations to the plate - one with a safe call. Took the BR to 3B on a fly to LF and had a safe call there. Frequent double play balls, and very quick-paced game. The game ended with a run rule in the 6th.

Overall a great tourney. Glad I was a part of it!

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 02, 2008 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
I am done with my National assignment as well. Our tourney concluded last night. The half-inning-ending home run rule is fantastic. Makes for quick games. I think my longest game of the entire weekend lasted 1:05. My shortest was 35 minutes, and was ended by run rule 15/4. Most were in the 45-60 minute time frames. I am amazed how much running the base umpire does in a slow pitch game! I'm slightly sore from not anticipating that.

I was honored enough to be assigned 1B in the final game. I had a call at every base, including the plate. Had 3 rotations to the plate - one with a safe call. Took the BR to 3B on a fly to LF and had a safe call there. Frequent double play balls, and very quick-paced game. The game ended with a run rule in the 6th.

Overall a great tourney. Glad I was a part of it!

Whoa, hang on here, Bubba! Are you telling me you busted your slowpitch cherry in a national tournament?

bkbjones Wed Sep 03, 2008 01:45am

[QUOTE=Andy]About the only other unusual thing was that we had one umpire removed from a game during a weather delay on Saturday and sent home...there were near riots in three of the games he was assigned to...Wild Bill said that was the first time he ever had to do something like that. [QUOTE] Ooooooohhh...we have our general meeting on Tuesday. I can barely wait to get the details! Wild Bill is absolutely wonderful. I'm glad you got to work for him, Andy.

Would love to have some of you up here. First weekend of May would work very well -- that's our biggest tournament of the year, and you can get away from 90 degrees to 60 degrees up here. :eek:

bkbjones Wed Sep 03, 2008 01:48am

Quote:

Whoa, hang on here, Bubba! Are you telling me you busted your slowpitch cherry in a national tournament?

No, he got that busted a couple years ago. Hell, we're not picky up here. I was PU for the State Men's D in 2004. Since that game, one of my partners had heart bypass and the other has apparently gone either underground or prison.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25am

Quote:

No, he got that busted a couple years ago.

Then why is he so impressed with the speed of the game and how much a BU must move? :confused:

Has he only worked the 70 & over games until now? :rolleyes:

SRW Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:39am

Quote:

It's been busted years ago. This was just my first SP national...

SRW Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42am

Quote:

Then why is he so impressed with the speed of the game and how much a BU must move? :confused:

Has he only worked the 70 & over games until now? :rolleyes:

Our leagues up here are crap. Even the best men's leagues couldn't hold anything against the average men's team in the National. So yeah, these games were better quality than any of the league stuff we've seen.

Plus, the only time we ever do 2-ump mechanics in SP is the random league playoff game. Even then, we're usually assigned with some homer who doesn't know wtf he's doing out there. Even then, the quality of the game in the league is so poor that you don't need to move as much compared to the games I had in the National.

Besides, whyTF am I justifying this anyway? :P :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 03, 2008 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW

Besides, whyTF am I justifying this anyway? :P :eek:

Hey, you're the one who made is sound like a new experience.:D