The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 20, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Had a ASA game last night, here is the play, and we use a safety bag at first.
Batter hits ground ball down First Base line, F1 make a great diving stop in fair, then rolls into foul ground. F1 can't beat the runner to his bag, so dives and touches the safety bag before runner crosses 1B.

I have safe, nobody says a word, however after game PU tells me I missed the call, Who's right!

Thanks
Jeff
Old Sat Apr 20, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

According to the new rule 8-2-M(c), as I read it, you kicked the call.

ASA 8-2-M(c)
On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base, or an errant throw pulling the defense into foul ground, the defense and the batter-runner can use either the white or colored portion.

Since this was a force out attempt from the foul side, I'd say F1 got'er out. In the 2001 rules, the exception only applied to a thrown ball (pulling the defense into foul ground, or a throw from foul territory). This year, it applies to any force out attempt from the foul side.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2002, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

Believe it or not, as rule 8.2.M.c is written, your partner is correct.

"c. On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base, or an errant throw pulling the defense into foul ground, the defense and the batter-runner can use either the white or colored portion."

You would think the rule would note that this "attempt" should include receiving a throw, but it doesn't.

RANT ON

I have said this before and I will continue to say it until the rule is changed. As long as the rule is going to permit a defender to put out a runner by using the colored portion of a double-base on ANY play other than accepting a throw from foul territory, the double-base is MORE of a safety hazard than a single base.

As long as a defender knows he cannot get an out, even on an errant throw, by using the colored portion, there will be more of an effort to catch the ball and avoid a crash.

RANT OFF