The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation happen last night on a HS Varsity game that could have gotten interesting, I'm behind the plate with very expierenced base ump....Top of 5th inning, vistors up 7-2, one out, runner on first. Batter hits grounder that forces second baseperson to move towards second base to field, fields clean and moves towards oncoming runner to tag.....runner stops and starts back toward first...without a tag occuring, base ump calls runner out. Runner stops, tag is applied and second baseperson flips to first for attempted double play. BR does beat the throw. I look towards the coach at third and here he comes...I know the coach from summer club ball and he always is very professional...he comes to me and says...he is not going to make a scene but he thinks my partner has applied a wrong rule to the runner heading back to first and has put his runner in jepordy...unfortunetly he's right...wants to know if he has any chance of having his runner put back on second...I say no and he smiles and walks away...My mind is really spinning now...what is the call if does decide to question in a more unprofessional way...by the way, after the inning my partner admits to the brain fart and the quick hook
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

To rectify umpire error, you would put runners where in your opinion they would have been if BU had not made the error. In this case, play stands. The base runner was about to be put out any way. Now if F4 had not tagged the runner after the incorrect call by BU, and then put out batter runner, then you would have had to decide what would have happened if the BU had not made the incorrect call, and rectify the situation by placing runners.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Put the runner on 2B and BR on 1st.

Since the tag was made after the BU placed the runner in jeopardy, you can't just "guess" the runner out as from the description it seemed as the runner reacted to the incorrect call. For as much as we know, if the runner continued to retreat, F4 may have given up the attempt and thrown to 1B to try to get the BR.

If the runner didn't react and was still tagged by F4, play stands.