The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Spirits of ammonia mean nothing except for ruining some good ice. It is hogwash. Surely someone has some sort of evidence that this is helpful other than east coast blather and fairy tales. I know I've looked high and low for some reputable evidence. If someone has some evidence I'd love to be corrected on this.
Not being a scientist, I'm going to take a stab at this....

The amount of heat needed to change a given amount of liquid to a gas without a change in temperature is its HEAT OF VAPORIZATION, sometimes referred to as latent (hidden) heat. The heat of vaporization for water is 540 calories per gram (9720 cal/mole) and the heat of vaporization for ammonia is 327 calories per gram (5559 cal/mole).

As we all know, it is the evaporation process that makes you feel cool as heat is required for evaporation. Since it takes less heat to make ammonia evaporate (327 c/g), more ammonia can evaporate faster thus creating a cooler sensation than just water alone (540 c/g). Using an ammonia/water solution lowers the heat of vaporization of water (I'll leave that to the scientists to tell you the exact numbers) thereby making this solution 'cooler' than just water alone.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntranger

The amount of heat needed to change a given amount of liquid to a gas without a change in temperature is its HEAT OF VAPORIZATION, sometimes referred to as latent (hidden) heat. The heat of vaporization for water is 540 calories per gram (9720 cal/mole) and the heat of vaporization for ammonia is 327 calories per gram (5559 cal/mole).

As we all know, it is the evaporation process that makes you feel cool as heat is required for evaporation. Since it takes less heat to make ammonia evaporate (327 c/g), more ammonia can evaporate faster thus creating a cooler sensation than just water alone (540 c/g). Using an ammonia/water solution lowers the heat of vaporization of water (I'll leave that to the scientists to tell you the exact numbers) thereby making this solution 'cooler' than just water alone.

Back off, wade. He's a scientist.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lets see..

Youre hot, you put a cool iced towel on your neck.

Then say "wow that spirit of amonia is refreshing".
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...9A50DAD5881C05

It's an inhalant. The dilution in water helps protect the user. If you prefer, they sell this in snap capsules, if you prefer, but that is fret with more reactive side effects and dangers.

Maybe if you actually bothered finding out what you are talking about before you type.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntranger

Spirit of Ammonia is 35% alcohol, but even so, such a tiny amount is mixed with the water, I seriously doubt the lower evaporation temperature has much to do with the effect of Florida water as a refreshing / cooling agent. I suspect its main effect over plain ice water is just like smelling salts (which has the same active ingredient in a capsule).
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Spirit of Ammonia is 35% alcohol, but even so, such a tiny amount is mixed with the water, I seriously doubt the lower evaporation temperature has much to do with the effect of Florida water as a refreshing / cooling agent. I suspect its main effect over plain ice water is just like smelling salts (which has the same active ingredient in a capsule).
Another factor is that your ice/water/ammonia (or rubbing alcohol) mixture will maintain a lower temperature than a simple mixture of ice and water. The freezing/melting point is lower, so the mixture in your ice bucket and on your towel comes to your neck at a lower temperature ... and it smells good, too.

And yes ... I am a scientist.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

This thread is the epitome of this board.

Someone posts something that is common and helpful. And like damn near half the posts in recent memory, others do their best to try and out-think the OP and try to find a negative to it.

Great country, America. A land where no one knows anything and everyone else knows everything.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Great country, America. A land where no one knows anything and everyone else knows everything.
And if you don't believe that, just wait until you wake up on Nov 5 and read the newspaper headlines!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Another factor is that your ice/water/ammonia (or rubbing alcohol) mixture will maintain a lower temperature than a simple mixture of ice and water. The freezing/melting point is lower, so the mixture in your ice bucket and on your towel comes to your neck at a lower temperature ... and it smells good, too.

And yes ... I am a scientist.
Wait a minute, Larry - I thought you were just an old squid.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This thread is the epitome of this board.

Someone posts something that is common and helpful. And like damn near half the posts in recent memory, others do their best to try and out-think the OP and try to find a negative to it.

It's amazing.. a couple of people spent more time debating hydration and ammonia spirits than it would have taken them to just try it....
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
It's amazing.. a couple of people spent more time debating hydration and ammonia spirits than it would have taken them to just try it....
But, why can't we do both? Are you two trying to ruin this for all of us??
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...9A50DAD5881C05

It's an inhalant. The dilution in water helps protect the user. If you prefer, they sell this in snap capsules, if you prefer, but that is fret with more reactive side effects and dangers.

Maybe if you actually bothered finding out what you are talking about before you type.
Hey genius, you gave me a link that says dont get it in your eyes or on your skin.

Your little link says nothing about using it in ice for "cooling". And by the way, last time your myth was mentioned, I did TONS of googling to find out about. DOnt forget, where I am, it actually does get hot, unlike delaware... so if there was a magic potion, I wanted it. But alas, it was not to be... for it is a myth.

Now if you run along and find me a good link, I would be much appreciative.

Me and NCAA came to an agreement in which we were both enjoying this thread, wasnt a big deal, (for me personnally, whatever someone uses to stay cool and survive what we do, good for them).. so you go take a nap.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 07:38pm.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

"so you go take a nap."
Ha!
-------------------------------------------------
It gets damn hot in Vacaville. Like Gates of Hell hot.

Give me some water to drink, a wet towel for the back of the neck and some fruit for electrolyte replacement and I'm good-to-go.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey genius, you gave me a link that says dont get it in your eyes or on your skin.
Try reading all of it.

Quote:
Your little link says nothing about using it in ice for "cooling". And by the way, last time your myth was mentioned, I did TONS of googling to find out about. DOnt forget, where I am, it actually does get hot, unlike delaware... so if there was a magic potion, I wanted it. But alas, it was not to be... for it is a myth.
Yeah, just like your umpiring skills. Did you miss the part about it being an inhalant which is used to prevent or treat fainting.

And I know where you live. It is the same place to which Delaware and 48 other states have to send firefighters every year because you aren't smart enough to control your environment.

Quote:
Now if you run along and find me a good link, I would be much appreciative.
Yeah, I can see someone like you thinking the Mayo Clinic is not qualified to present this information.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, just like your umpiring skills. Did you miss the part about it being an inhalant which is used to prevent or treat fainting.
Good, I'll keep some on hand in case I ever see you walk on a fast pitch diamond to call a game. But that wont help me keep cool.

Quote:

And I know where you live. It is the same place to which Delaware and 48 other states have to send firefighters every year because you aren't smart enough to control your environment.
You cant hurt my feelings telling me CA is run by liberal idiots with their head in their @ss about the environment.. simply because its true.

Quote:
Yeah, I can see someone like you thinking the Mayo Clinic is not qualified to present this information.
We're talking about ICE.

I need a link about adding it to ice.

Even you should be able to grasp that. Mayo clinic is fine.. hell, delawaremyths.com would be fine.. any link.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 08:06am.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Wait a minute, Larry - I thought you were just an old squid.
With a tax-payer funded education!