The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   intentionally dropped foul tip (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46422-intentionally-dropped-foul-tip.html)

shipwreck Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:47pm

intentionally dropped foul tip

Does intentionally dropping a foul tip fall under the same rule as intentionally dropping a fly ball? The reason I ask. Say you have a great strike out pitcher with a runner on base. A foul tip occurs with the runner stealing on the foul tip. The catcher sees she cannot throw out the runner for some reason so intentionally drops the foul tip to make it a foul ball, thus forcing the runner back. Thanks for your replies, Dave

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck
Does intentionally dropping a foul tip fall under the same rule as intentionally dropping a fly ball? The reason I ask. Say you have a great strike out pitcher with a runner on base. A foul tip occurs with the runner stealing on the foul tip. The catcher sees she cannot throw out the runner for some reason so intentionally drops the foul tip to make it a foul ball, thus forcing the runner back. Thanks for your replies, Dave

If the catcher does not catch the pitch, it becomes a foul ball, and the ball is dead.

MTD, Sr.

Dholloway1962 Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:58pm

Intentionally dropped fly ball deals with only a fair batted ball...8-2-J.

Now whether or not she controlled it is strictly judgement. If I really truly believe it is intentional, without any doubt at all, in my judgement she probably controlled it and lost it on the transfer, if you catch my drift

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jul 17, 2008 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Intentionally dropped fly ball deals with only a fair batted ball...8-2-J.

Now whether or not she controlled it is strictly judgement. If I really truly believe it is intentional, without any doubt at all, in my judgement she probably controlled it and lost it on the transfer, if you catch my drift

How does your "drift" handle the DC when you judge that F1 dropped the pitch on the transfer and you leave the runner at second base?

wadeintothem Thu Jul 17, 2008 08:26pm

No its not illegal.

Anymore than it would be illegal for superman to play on a team and fly into the air and catch a home run...

or any other impossible thing.

Dholloway1962 Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
How does your "drift" handle the DC when you judge that F1 dropped the pitch on the transfer and you leave the runner at second base?

I tell him that in my judgement she controlled the ball and we have a foul tip.

whiskers_ump Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:16pm

Quote:

Proving she dropped it would be the toughest sell in the book. :D

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Proving she dropped it would be the toughest sell in the book. :D

Amen to that!

jimpiano Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:59pm

Quote:

What a stupid question.

7in60 Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
What a stupid reply.

Fixed.

LMan Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60
Fixed.

Not really.

You think a F2 can 1) react to a foul-tip ball "sharp and direct" back to her in a fraction of a second, then 2) judge her inability to throw out a runner, in time to 3) drop the ball without it looking deliberate? All of this in about 1 second?

There's TWPs, and then there's like mission-to-Mars plays. This one is at least close to the Moon. ;)

7in60 Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Not really.

You think a F2 can 1) react to a foul-tip ball "sharp and direct" back to her in a fraction of a second, then 2) judge her inability to throw out a runner, in time to 3) drop the ball without it looking deliberate? All of this in about 1 second?

There's TWPs, and then there's like mission-to-Mars plays. This one is at least close to the Moon. ;)

Solution: don't close the glove.

There's no way the PU could judge this. He/she sees the ball on the ground, it's a foul ball.

There are no stupid questions.

whiskers_ump Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000

Cause she stole the base? :eek:

wadeintothem Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07pm

It would be easier for her to use telekenisis and mind control that ball to the ground than intentionally drop a foul tip just because a runner that the catcher is "scared of" is stealing.

You guys picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.

You guys have actually seen a softball game right? If not that, at least glanced at baseball or something?

Cool sports, give it a try.

shipwreck Fri Jul 18, 2008 08:53am

Wade, just because you are closing in on 2000 posts doesn't mean all the answers you give are correct. I didn't realize questions like mine cannot be asked here. Wish I was perfect like you are. Dave