The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Illegal glove (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45507-illegal-glove.html)

TwoBits Mon Jun 16, 2008 09:48am

Illegal glove

In a USSSA tournament this weekend, the coach of the batting team wanted a base award for the center fielder using and illegal glove when she caught a fly ball. She was using a first baseman's mitt. USSSA, just like NFHS, does not differentiate between a glove or a mitt as long as they meet the size requirements. I told the coach this and added that I do believe that ASA does not allow mitts to be used anywhere but catcher and first base. Am I correct?

wadeintothem Mon Jun 16, 2008 09:51am

no you arent

JefferMC Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:07am

ASA changed that a few years ago.

TwoBits Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:10am

Good to know. Thanks!

Umpteenth Thu Sep 17, 2009 01:22pm

Use of 1B Glove?

So, in ASA, is the use of a 1B glove limited to those playing 1B? Or, 1B and C? I've looked through Rule 3 and find nothing whatsoever that covers the use of a 1B glove. What prevents "everyone" from using a 1B glove?

From the perspective of Mens' SP wreck...

IRISHMAFIA Thu Sep 17, 2009 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpteenth (Post 625946)
So, in ASA, is the use of a 1B glove limited to those playing 1B? Or, 1B and C? I've looked through Rule 3 and find nothing whatsoever that covers the use of a 1B glove. What prevents "everyone" from using a 1B glove?

From the perspective of Mens' SP wreck...

In ASA, a defender can use any legal glove or mitt at any defensive position.

Umpteenth Thu Sep 17, 2009 02:24pm

Thanks, Irish!!

CecilOne Thu Sep 17, 2009 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 625958)
In ASA, a defender can use any legal glove or mitt at any defensive position.

So, where would a mitt be illegal for other than F2 & F3?

BretMan Thu Sep 17, 2009 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits (Post 516669)
In a USSSA tournament this weekend, the coach of the batting team wanted a base award for the center fielder using and illegal glove when she caught a fly ball....

Fast or slow pitch?

As silly as it seems, the USSSA rules do allow a glove or mitt at any position in fastpitch, but restrict mitts to only the first baseman and catcher in slow pitch.

And it gets even sillier! For NSA, the exact opposite is true! They allow mitts for every position in slow pitch, but not in fastpitch!

If you deal with multiple asscociations, this rule is split pretty much down the middle. Best to check your rule book if you're dealing with an unfamiliar sanction.

wadeintothem Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 625977)

Oh I dunno.. I'm thinking its illegal for any position when it doesnt comply with R3 dimensions.

http://www.rooney.org/tlc/silly/holy...surrection.jpg

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 18, 2009 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 625977)

Dunno, didn't I just note that it wasn't?

CecilOne Fri Sep 18, 2009 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 626081)
Dunno, didn't I just note that it wasn't?

I meant other sanctions (besides ASA, NFHS, USSSA). :rolleyes:

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Sep 18, 2009 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits (Post 516669)
In a USSSA tournament this weekend, the coach of the batting team wanted a base award for the center fielder using and illegal glove when she caught a fly ball. She was using a first baseman's mitt. USSSA, just like NFHS, does not differentiate between a glove or a mitt as long as they meet the size requirements. I told the coach this and added that I do believe that ASA does not allow mitts to be used anywhere but catcher and first base. Am I correct?

You blew the call. In USSSA slow-pitch, the mitt is only allowed for 1B and C, as indicated by others on the thread. Since it was a caught fly ball, you should have had the center fielder remove the mitt, bring the batter back with the count prior to the batted ball (that pitch would not count), and advance all runners one base. If the ball hadn't been caught, as soon as the play ends, you would have called time, and advanced everyone one base no matter how the play transpired.

BretMan Fri Sep 18, 2009 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 626090)
You blew the call...

Maybe. Or, maybe not.

I don't see where the (year old!) post specified it was or wasn't a slow pitch game.

His ruling has a 50/50 chance of being right! ;)

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Sep 18, 2009 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 626093)
Maybe. Or, maybe not.

I don't see where the (year old!) post specified it was or wasn't a slow pitch game.

His ruling has a 50/50 chance of being right! ;)

True...I thought he said later it was a slow-pitch game, but in review, I notice you were asking whether it was slow or fast-pitch. My bad. Now I'll head to the wood shed for my flogging. ;)