The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Goofy call... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/44815-goofy-call.html)

Al Wed May 28, 2008 06:38pm

Goofy call...

It's 16/under girls F/P. The game was fun to watch with the lead going back and forth a few times. Both umpires started the game clowning around with the players, coaches, and fans. For example... at the coin toss tails was called. He showed the coin to the player and said: "sorry, it's heads". The girl who called it said: "Hey that's tails"! "He said: Don't you see the head on that bird"? Then after a close call at 3rd the BU was clowning around with one of the fans who said: "Hey blue, if you think she is safe your eyes must be out of focus". He said: "Well, maybe my left eye; but not my right eye cause that one is made of glass". But all this joking around ended early when both the defensive and offensive head coaches jumped all over both the PU and the BU.

Here's the sit...

One out, girl on 2nd. Count full. Pitch is high and tight to a right handed batter for ball four. Ball gets away from catcher and rolls a few feet up the 3rd base line. Girl on 2nd tries to steel 3rd. BR takes off running for 1st then tosses the bat towards her dug-out on 3rd base side. The bat hits the catchers arm as she is just starting to make her throw to 3rd. The throw is off-line and gets away from the the defense. Runner now tries for home and just beats the tag. She is called safe. The BR advanced to 2nd on the play. Defensive coach wants interference on the BR for hitting his catcher with the tossed bat. PU said there was no intentional interference and the play stands. Coach, not liking this answer, goes storming out to BU. Then PU and offensive coach join in huddled around 3rd base. After what seemed like five minutes the PU sent the girl back to 3rd. :confused: So PU takes away the run. Offensive coach wants to know WHY? Keeps asking them what rule they are going by?

If they decided interference should have been called why didn't they call the BR out and put the girl back on 2nd? If no interference why would they undo the play at the plate? ...Fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al

wadeintothem Wed May 28, 2008 06:43pm

Is this Utrip?

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 28, 2008 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al
Here's the sit...

One out, girl on 2nd. Count full. Pitch is high and tight to a right handed batter for ball four. Ball gets away from catcher and rolls a few feet up the 3rd base line. Girl on 2nd tries to steel 3rd. BR takes off running for 1st then tosses the bat towards her dug-out on 3rd base side. The bat hits the catchers arm as she is just starting to make her throw to 3rd.

Speaking ASA

Stop right there, the play is over. Dead ball. BR is out and R1 is returned to 2nd base.

wadeintothem Wed May 28, 2008 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

Stop right there, the play is over. Dead ball. BR is out and R1 is returned to 2nd base.

Depends, if this is utrip and a coach will get pissed off, I say go with the Dead ball do over.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 28, 2008 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Depends, if this is utrip and a coach will get pissed off, I say go with the Dead ball do over.

Didn't I hear that if it is u-trip, opinions don't count?

whiskers_ump Wed May 28, 2008 07:30pm

Quote:

Is this Utrip?

Maybe USFA.:D

Al Wed May 28, 2008 09:14pm

Quote:

Is this Utrip?

Yes, it was USSSA. ...Al

wadeintothem Wed May 28, 2008 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al
Yes, it was USSSA. ...Al

Probably a good call then. Alls well that ends well.

CecilOne Thu May 29, 2008 09:16am

You can all knock off the USSSA, etc. put downs until the teams around here return to ASA. :(

Dakota Thu May 29, 2008 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
You can all knock off the USSSA, etc. put downs until the teams around here return to ASA. :(

Why would we do that? ;)

NM FP Ump Thu May 29, 2008 11:08am

Hey, hey now.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Didn't I hear that if it is u-trip, opinions don't count?

It's a good thing u-trip umpires have a sense of humor.

JefferMC Thu May 29, 2008 11:36am

That's one thing I've yet to see: A USSSA FP tournament. I just saw an ad for the "State" tournament down near the coast somewhere. Up here is primarily ASA country, with a bit of NSA, ISA and the occasional WFC nibbling at the edges.

CecilOne Thu May 29, 2008 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC
That's one thing I've yet to see: A USSSA FP tournament. I just saw an ad for the "State" tournament down near the coast somewhere. Up here is primarily ASA country, with a bit of NSA, ISA and the occasional WFC nibbling at the edges.

see link below

JefferMC Thu May 29, 2008 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne

Not a single "FP" in that list. Maybe that tourney wasn't utrip after all.

argodad Thu May 29, 2008 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC
Not a single "FP" in that list. Maybe that tourney wasn't utrip after all.

Helps to click on Fast Pitch on the pull-down menu. Then you get a bunch.