The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Don "oppool" did his first fastpitch game today. Looked good behind the plate - until the first pitch!! Called it "illegal - flat (grin - just kidding).

Don - you did a good job, Glen would have been proud of you. But please, next time leave those polyester navy shorts at home!!
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Don "oppool" did his first fastpitch game today. Looked good behind the plate - until the first pitch!! Called it "illegal - flat (grin - just kidding).

Don - you did a good job, Glen would have been proud of you. But please, next time leave those polyester navy shorts at home!!
NO, not Don, Not shorts!
Well Don, how do you like the world of Fastpitch?

Gary,
Great line on your intro. Joel should put that on his site
in one-liners section.

Best of luck with the rest of the season Don.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Thanks Guys

64 Illegal pitches in the 1st inning those 10u girls just couldnt figure out that 6' to 12' arc (just kidding)

Actually I was very amazed at the level of play for 10u B girls the 1st game I had plate was a 3-2 and the 2nd was a 1-0 very few errors by the girls. NOW their coaches were a different story. Also did 2 in the field on which coach argued with me on a grounder hit to F3 who is playing up and goes to tag the B/R that going to 1st that B/R does not have a base path and can run out more than 3ft to avoid a tag. Told me next time he will just tell his runner to run over F3 I told coach no problem I would just send him home for the day if that happened + call the runner out. Another game R1 on 3rd line drive hit to F5 who is playing up, catches the ball and tries to beat R1 back to 3rd but misses 3rd by about a foot I am right down the line on this between 2nd and 3rd and had a great angle for the bag but the coach from the dugout comes out yelling his F5 got the bag and wants a appeal to the PU. I told the coach "Sorry I saw the play clearly and noway did your F5 tag the base, No appeal. Now go back and sit down so we can Play Ball" he did and we played on.

Those were the highlights of my break into the fast-pitch world I did enjoy it and look forward to calling more games. I do diffently need to work on my mechanics and timing behind the plate. Caught myself setting a few times late which when I did a few high strikes were called but hopefully thing like this will work itself out with some experience and more practice

I do want to THANK Gary for helping me get into this fast-pitch and all the great advice he has offered so far.

I did wear Blue shorts out to the ballpark yesterday as a joke the UIC also calls with me in slow-pitch and I wanted to see if I could make him a little worried. I did have the correct clothing with me in the truck

Have a good week guys

Don
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

You did great - handled yourself well on the field - good field presence. I don't think anyone (players, coaches, and fans)knew that you were a fastpitch "rookie". After putting up with all the stuff with the AA's in slowpitch, you can take care of ANY fastpitch coach.

We're going to have a lot of fun this summer/fall. Now the real challenge for you is to get me to call a slow pitch game!!

Gary

[Edited by ntxblue on Mar 24th, 2002 at 07:58 PM]
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you, Don. Keep us all posted on this.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Don............

Wonderful............

It is amazing how you can see some great plays (even at the young ages)........

However........you can also see some terrible ball..........

One word of advice.............(although........you seem to already have taken it.........grin)

Keep the younger coaches on a short leash.........

You will run across a number of brand new coaches at that age who have no idea what is/is not appropriate on a ballfield.........

You will also run across some good guys........as a seasoned SP ump........you probably know how to tell the difference.........

In my experience.........once the coaches reach 14U and above.......they know the ins and outs........

Great Job......

Sounds like you had some fun.......

Joel
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

Don,

Good for you!! I hope you continue calling Fastpitch, it beats old AA Slowpitch 10 to 1. I quit Slowpitch after 1 year of doing Fast.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995