The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
It's not ASA certifying the coaches or umpires, it's whatever agency ASA uses. It's their nuts on a string if they fail to dig up the right bone. ASA can claim they exercised due diligence.

Either way, they're still a bad idea.
Actually, that is exactly what the ACE program is doing, certifying coaches and a BI is going to be part of it. I still think it is wrong to dictate to parents who they can or cannot coach their children.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
All of these background checks are a waste of money and time. As has already been pointed out, all that they tell us is who has yet to commit a crime. They are certainly no indication of who will commit a crime. Case in point, Dennis Rader, a former military man and private business man, who had also worked for a security company and the City of Wichita, Kansas, would have passed any background check performed by any organization. Yet for the more than twenty years that he was murdering people, he would have been able to umpire for ASA or anyone else. (Even by the current BI standards.) BI's are nothing more that what they have been described, knee jerk warm fuzzy actions. They are otherwise totally useless.

I have a real personal feeling about these, too. For in order for me to continue to practice in the profession of my choice, in the state in which I live, I will now be forced to not only agree to a BI but also to submit my fingerprints, which I feel is a violation of my right to privacy. Further problem with the fingerprints in Texas is that they will be readily available to any state agency.
I feel you there, man. The feds already have my prints, and that was part of a BI that I voluntarily submitted to (concealed carry permit). Who knows what other agencies have my prints now.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Would somebody please name ONE umpire who committed an offense where that umpire would have been revealed as a bad actor by a background check? ONE will do? Anyone?.... Didn't think so.

Now, school teachers are another matter!
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Thanks.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would somebody please name ONE umpire who committed an offense where that umpire would have been revealed as a bad actor by a background check? ONE will do? Anyone?.... Didn't think so.

Leslie Nielson?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Leslie Nielson?
Doesn't count 'cause OJ did his background check!
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Ignorance is bliss, esp for 10U coaches.

More about the folks with the Least Common Denominator in coaching, 10U.

On a recent Sunday I am doing a 10U game with one of our youth umpires. Team B has a GLM coaching first. I swear her Levi's were painted on, and that was a good thing.

Anyway, one out in bottom of last inning, 1 strike on the batter. Next pitch, swing and a miss, sorta. They say for ASA "legal" bats, the ball comes off the bat at no more than 98 MPH. This, as Spock once said, is a Vulcan lie. The batter lost control of the bat, which just missed the catcher and continued back on a collision course with my cup. A week later, and my left one is still 3X size of right one.

I refuse to cry. I refuse to puke. I stand with my hands on my knees and try to breathe. The GLM then lost all my respect. She comes down and wants to talk. Never once asks if I'm ok, can I kiss it and make it better or anything. She wants me to call the batter out for slinging the bat.

I had to do all I could to keep from going off on her. I hope she has a baby and gains 200 pounds while losing her hair.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In the role as umpire, or do off-field incidents count? In the former, I don't know any off-hand. In the latter, I can name one, but won't actually name him.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Here's a few:

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/46874.html

http://www.keyt.com/home/ticker/7873872.html

http://www.courttv.com/trials/hinton...rdict_ctv.html

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/...ews/news05.txt

and I only ran a very simple keyword search.

The basketball forum had a lengthy discussion about this very topic about a month ago,

Criminal Record Checks

and if I recall correctly, "Referee Magazine" recently also had an article.