The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

As most of us are starting our seasons.........here is a little piece that a friend e-mailed me that might help us get our season off to the right start.........

Joel

At one point during a game, the coach said to one of his young players, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"

The little girl nodded yes.

"Do you understand that what matters is whether we win together as a team?"

Again, the little girl nodded yes.

"So," the coach continued, "when a strike is called, or you are out at first, you don't argue or curse or attack the umpire. Do you understand all that?"

The girl shyly nodded yes.

"Good," said the coach. "Now go over there and explain it to your mother."

Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Joel -

Good story, and unfortunately, all too true...

I worked a 40 team HS tournament this past weekend, teams from TX, NM, UT, NV, CA, and AZ. Constant *****ing by the parents about every little thing.

In one game, after about the fifth inning, I realized that one teams parents and fans were supporting their kids and not complaining about every call they did not like. That was not my best game of the tournament and there was plenty of stuff they could have groused about.

I made a point of strolling over to the fence between innings and telling a few of the people sitting there that I appreciated the fact that they were there to support their kids and not yell at the blue. It was refreshing to see that. I ususally am able to hear all the complaining, but I don't listen to it..it was just different to not hear it in the first place...kinda nice, actually.

Andy