The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Slide to aviod collision

9-12yo rec ball, we use ASA rules with some rec and parks adjustments, in our rules it states
"All players must slide or avoid collision with a defensive player if a play is being made on that player at a particular base. If the player does not slide or attempt to avoid collision, she will be called out."
The way I see it is that if the runner makes any sort of contact with the fielder while a play is being made it is an out. Basically to avoid interference and physical harm.
Well there is a coach in the league who insists that his girls do not know how to slide and can hurt themselves if they try to. (I really want to tell him to take his girls on the grass and teach them how to slide, but I think it will be overstepping my bounds).
This past weekend, said coach came up to me and told me he is not going to have his girls slide, I replied that if there is a play and they do not slide it will be an out. On one play I heard him tell a runner rounding third to run through the plate, it was not a close play but that leads to my question, if there was some sort of collision, what would you do with the coach?
I hope this made sense.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

If I hear a coach yell at his players to intentionally violate a rule, I'm tossing the coach, especially in a youth game.

ASA 4-7-A and RS 49-C

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

They can attempt to avoid a collision by running around the defender. If the defender is in their path to the base, without the ball, and you feel that the "running around the defender" was caused by the defender being there, then you could have OBS.

However, they are not out simply because they don't slide.

If you feel the coach is coaching them to collide with the defenders, and you feel very secure about this, then you can run him for USC.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
They can attempt to avoid a collision by running around the defender. If the defender is in their path to the base, without the ball, and you feel that the "running around the defender" was caused by the defender being there, then you could have OBS.

However, they are not out simply because they don't slide.
Actually, that's what this rule is all about: forcing players to slide, go around, or give themselves up.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMan86
9-12yo rec ball, we use ASA rules with some rec and parks adjustments, in our rules it states
"All players must slide or avoid collision with a defensive player if a play is being made on that player at a particular base. If the player does not slide or attempt to avoid collision, she will be called out."
According to that wording, not sliding should not be an automatic out. If she attempts to avoid collision by going around a defensive player, then she should be safe. However, I understand your problem because I'm sure the powers-that-be in your league are envisioning a mandatory slide rule.

I do a summer rec league with mandatory slide rules, but fortunately they are so poorly worded that it leaves a lot of gray area for me to interpret. The rule in this league is simply, "Runner must slide if play is close". When a coach asks me what that means to me, I tell them if the ball can beat the runner to the base, then its close. However, if the runner can get to a base, slow down to a point that she can stop on the base before the ball gets there, then its not a close play.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

The way I read the rule...

it says the runner must make an attempt. What consititues an attempt? In my judgement if the runner attempts to go around the defender and there is still contact I'm not sure I'd have an out. The runner did make an attempt.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto
it says the runner must make an attempt. What consititues an attempt? In my judgement if the runner attempts to go around the defender and there is still contact I'm not sure I'd have an out. The runner did make an attempt.
That was my thought, too. And a 9-12 yo attempt may well not be either graceful or successful - but it's still an attempt.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
According to that wording, not sliding should not be an automatic out. If she attempts to avoid collision by going around a defensive player, then she should be safe. However, I understand your problem because I'm sure the powers-that-be in your league are envisioning a mandatory slide rule.

I do a summer rec league with mandatory slide rules, but fortunately they are so poorly worded that it leaves a lot of gray area for me to interpret. The rule in this league is simply, "Runner must slide if play is close". When a coach asks me what that means to me, I tell them if the ball can beat the runner to the base, then its close. However, if the runner can get to a base, slow down to a point that she can stop on the base before the ball gets there, then its not a close play.
We have discussed this on this forum many times before. I am still amazed, in our litigious society that any league would institute a "must slide" rule.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMan86
The way I see it is that if the runner makes any sort of contact with the fielder while a play is being made it is an out. Basically to avoid interference and physical harm.
Well there is a coach in the league who insists that his girls do not know how to slide and can hurt themselves if they try to. (I really want to tell him to take his girls on the grass and teach them how to slide, but I think it will be overstepping my bounds).
This past weekend, said coach came up to me and told me he is not going to have his girls slide, I replied that if there is a play and they do not slide it will be an out. On one play I heard him tell a runner rounding third to run through the plate, it was not a close play but that leads to my question, if there was some sort of collision, what would you do with the coach?
I hope this made sense.
I once had a coach tell me one of his players had a hip operation at some point and was not allowed to slide.

I answered very simply "I understand coach, there is no slide rule. Have her avoid contact or give up if she is going to be tagged".

Its a simple rule.

as to the coach.. coaching tactics intending to injure players have a really cool penalty..

Can you guess what that is?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I once had a coach tell me one of his players had a hip operation at some point and was not allowed to slide.

I answered very simply "I understand coach, there is no slide rule. Have her avoid contact or give up if she is going to be tagged".

Its a simple rule.

as to the coach.. coaching tactics intending to injure players have a really cool penalty..

Can you guess what that is?
You're a little late, wade. I already answered that one.

Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
You're a little late, wade. I already answered that one.
Pffffffffffffffffffft
so what.

You've never even left an entire team sprawled on the field crying while you walked off the field laughing evilly.

Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Pffffffffffffffffffft
so what.

You've never even left an entire team sprawled on the field crying while you walked off the field laughing evilly.

No, but I have made pitchers cry before.