The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

first throw

mechanics question...I have been taught that the BU has first throw responsibilty to anything hit in the infield...what if a ball is hit to F8 and she drops it, im looping inside, r1 is headed to 3rd from 2nd base...does BU have first throw to 3rd or does PU come up and take lead runner ? I was postioned behind F6 and my partner says 3rd was his...does 1st throw change from a ball hit to the infield vs outfield ?
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
mechanics question...I have been taught that the BU has first throw responsibilty to anything hit in the infield...what if a ball is hit to F8 and she drops it, im looping inside, r1 is headed to 3rd from 2nd base...does BU have first throw to 3rd or does PU come up and take lead runner ? I was postioned behind F6 and my partner says 3rd was his...does 1st throw change from a ball hit to the infield vs outfield ?
Is F8 stationed in the infield?
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

PU has 3. You need to be very alert for your bases and especially mindful of back doors.. I had F8 darn near throw out the BR on a very similar play today. That girl had a cannon and there is no way it should have been that close.. I dont know what they are feeding these girls.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale

I had this EXACT same play today, and it PISSED me off that we had a double call....first throw FROM THE OUTFIELD was to third on a rounding runner....runner heads back, Im coming up the line, ( Im PU,lead runner scoring easily,) and we had a double call..that call belongs to the PLATE umpire.

to put it simply... base hit to the outfield, split the infield as far as responsibility, Bu has 1st and second, plate has home and 3rd... the EXCEPTIONS are... a throwback from a play at home to 3rd belongs to the BASE umpire, and the batter runner is always the base umpire responsibility all the way to third.

Last edited by azbigdawg; Sun May 18, 2008 at 10:44pm.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

just wondering if anyone used a (legitimate) different mechanic on this play
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
just wondering if anyone used a (legitimate) different mechanic on this play
I think situations can dictate a change in this. Field mechanics cannot be set in stone.. things can happen.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I think situations can dictate a change in this. Field mechanics cannot be set in stone.. things can happen.

I think the only time I would ever deviate in this case is if my angle on the play was bad, then I would see if BU was paying attention, and could help out.... but I still contend its the PU's play untill some kind of freakiness happens...
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I had this EXACT same play today, and it PISSED me off that we had a double call....first throw FROM THE OUTFIELD was to third on a rounding runner....runner heads back, Im coming up the line, ( Im PU,lead runner scoring easily,) and we had a double call..that call belongs to the PLATE umpire.

to put it simply... base hit to the outfield, split the infield as far as responsibility, Bu has 1st and second, plate has home and 3rd... the EXCEPTIONS are... a throwback from a play at home to 3rd belongs to the BASE umpire, and the batter runner is always the base umpire responsibility all the way to third.
Absolutely correct coverage for this play.

I would submit that in this situation it is important for PU to yell to his partner that he (PU) has 3rd. This would be more important if you are working with a partner that you are not familiar with or comfortable with yet. BU may be thinking that he has to cover 3rd since there is a runner going home. But, as in this case, the runner scores easily and about the only thing the PU needs to do with that runner is make sure she touches the plate. That can easily be seen from the holding zone, leaving enough time to move to positon to call the play at 3rd.

BTW Darrell......did you both have the same thing on the double call?????
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) last runner
2) steals
3) pickoffs
4) first infield play
5) PU busy at home
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Absolutely correct coverage for this play.

I would submit that in this situation it is important for PU to yell to his partner that he (PU) has 3rd. This would be more important if you are working with a partner that you are not familiar with or comfortable with yet. BU may be thinking that he has to cover 3rd since there is a runner going home. But, as in this case, the runner scores easily and about the only thing the PU needs to do with that runner is make sure she touches the plate. That can easily be seen from the holding zone, leaving enough time to move to positon to call the play at 3rd.

BTW Darrell......did you both have the same thing on the double call?????

Yah..we had the same call....and a discussion between innings...