The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

How do you handle a catcher's histrionics?

Had a HS varsity catcher yesterday who didn't always agree with my ball/strike calls. More so than any other catcher when I've worked the plate, she was very demonstrative about her disagreement -- holding her glove in position after she "framed" the pitch for long moments, shrugging her shoulders, tossing her hands in the air, hollering at the pitcher and coach, "That's a good pitch!," etc. After a short while, her coaches started yapping also, just because she was a whiner (these complaints were almost exclusively on inside pitches which they couldn't possibly judge from their 90 degree angle from the dugout). What techniques do you recommend to handle this behavior?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65
Had a HS varsity catcher yesterday who didn't always agree with my ball/strike calls. More so than any other catcher when I've worked the plate, she was very demonstrative about her disagreement -- holding her glove in position after she "framed" the pitch for long moments, shrugging her shoulders, tossing her hands in the air, hollering at the pitcher and coach, "That's a good pitch!," etc. After a short while, her coaches started yapping also, just because she was a whiner (these complaints were almost exclusively on inside pitches which they couldn't possibly judge from their 90 degree angle from the dugout). What techniques do you recommend to handle this behavior?
Ask the "assistant who just became head" coach for a substitute for the young lady who was catching up to that point in time.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

What I've done in the past was a brief word to the catcher along the lines of,

"Catch, if you want to be here for the final out, you'd better get control of yourself."

Best done BEFORE she incites the coach.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

There you go hawk, two good replies about the best way to handle this. I would have said something right off the bat, and then if it escalated to the point where it did in your post, done as Mike has already suggested.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65
I had the dish for a Regional Semifinal last Friday. Left-handed pitcher lived on the outside edge against right-handed hitters. Some times she hit it, sometimes she didn't. After two consecutive pitches just off the corner, the defensive coach asked the catcher where they were. She yelled, "They were on the corner." I called time, stepped around and swept the plate. With my head down I said, "We aren't going to have any of that. Understand?" No response. Still sweeping, I said, "I'd like to hear a "Yes, sir." I got a quiet "Yes, sir" and we finished the game with no problem.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 12:49pm
GrumpUmp

From UmpYouthFP

Make the troublesome player the coach's problem, not yours. If you have a player or two on your case about the strike zone, or some player keeps whining about every call you've made on the bases so far, don't take it upon yourself to stop it. Throw it into the coach's lap. Don't wave your finger at a coach from sixty feet away demanding he do something with his player. Wait for the right moment, preferably between innings when nobody else is really paying attention. Sidle up to the coach and mention in a friendly conversational way that you're a bit tired of listening to his player complain about "everything." Chances are, the coach is tired of it as well and you're now giving him the opportunity to solve the problem. Let the coach know that if they're not able to do something about it, you may have to. You do not need to get specific, the coach will figure out what you're implying. Generally, this will work and you'll have no more trouble. There's nothing like peer pressure to solve a problem. If this doesn't work you'll have to do whatever is necessary. You have given both the coach and the troublesome player their chance. If you do have to eject the troublesome player, let the coach do it for you. That is, simply call the coach over and ask him for the name of the player who is now going to be playing and batting for the ejected player. When the coach gives you that confused look, quietly inform the coach that you need to know who is the ejected player's replacement. You do not need to get animated about it.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

My story...

A few weeks ago, I was PU on a HSV game.

I will admit that it was one of those games that I just could not get comfortable behind the plate and I am sure it affected my judgement of the strike zone. There were several pitches that I would normally call strikes that I did not.

On the first few close pitches that I called a ball, one catcher would politely ask "Where did that miss?" So I told her.

As the game went on, her tone when asking became more sarcastic, as if she was questioning the call. Finally, about the fifth inning, close pitch, I call ball, she starts again...Where did that one miss, Blue?

My reply: "It was out of the strike zone....understand?"
Looking back, I probably let it go on too long, but after that reply, I didn't hear anything else from her for the remainder of the game.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
From UmpYouthFP

Sidle up to the coach and mention in a friendly conversational way that you're a bit tired of listening to his player complain about "everything." Chances are, the coach is tired of it as well and you're now giving him the opportunity to solve the problem .
This is good advice, but dont be surprised if the coach takes this opportunity to (politely?) complain about the strikezone. Nip that right away.
I dont believe any coach gets tired of hearing their catcher say whatever they can "to help their team" and possibly having to remove his starting catcher wouldnt be considered an opportunity to solve a problem. You are warning him, so if you have to eject, the coach cant complain that he hadnt been warned, was surprised, ect.......

Last edited by archangel; Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 02:24pm.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation last week but it was the pitcher. She had a couple of good innings then couldn't find the plate. Of course it couldn't be her fault so it must be the ump. She would make faces, throw her hands up, etc. I took the ball from the catcher and quietly (so only she could hear me) told her " to call time, go out to the pitcher and tell her the next time she makes any display about the strike zone i'm going to toss her."
Every thing setteled down after that.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
I had a similar situation last week but it was the pitcher. She had a couple of good innings then couldn't find the plate. Of course it couldn't be her fault so it must be the ump. She would make faces, throw her hands up, etc. I took the ball from the catcher and quietly (so only she could hear me) told her " to call time, go out to the pitcher and tell her the next time she makes any display about the strike zone i'm going to toss her."
Every thing setteled down after that.
Slow pitch version:

Umpire: Catch, go tell you pitcher to calm down or he will not be around long.

Catcher (yells from behind the plate): Hey, a$$hole, blue said knock it off or he's gonna toss ya.

Pitcher: Blue, maybe you should be the one leavin'

Umpire: Okay, you can go now.

Pitcher: (here it comes, the standard response from a SP player) What? You can't do that, I didn't curse!
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

You guys have thin skins.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
You guys have thin skins.
I don't think you want to go there
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yes I do! There's way too much ego all over the place.
When you show me an ump who calls the strike zone by the book, then I will defer to that ump.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Warn her.. .then dump her.

Thats it. Don't tolerate it from anyone on the field.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Oh yes I do! There's way too much ego all over the place.
When you show me an ump who calls the strike zone by the book, then I will defer to that ump.
If you are on my field, you will defer to me or you will be gone. I dont give a crap what you think of my zone... just keep your mouth shut about it.

Plain and simple.

How other umpires handle you is up to them.