The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Masks

Little help with opinions please.

I'm kind of a pain when it comes to getting something new. I want to try everything and complain about something from each and in the end kick myself for making the wrong choice. Hmmmm - did I say all that???

In any event. I need a new mask. Pads worn out on my non-special Champro. Also, the chin pad actually sits up to my mouth impeeding speach - anyone have this problem?

I ordered 2 different ones today. Ehhh - 10 bucks to ship back the loser, although I likely never will.

1. Gerry Davis "Featherweight"
Non leather pads, but they said it was some special absorbant stuff. Not just vinyl - Any experience? Said does not come with leather.

2. Honig's K91
Their lightest frame, but I got black doe-skin pads. They say lightest frame, but pads heavier than regular leather.

Two others I did not order - ................... yet
1. Wilson "New-View"
Supposed to give more visibility by sitting closer to the face. I have a hard time seeing that (pun intended??) based on the pictures. It actually looks like it has more padding. Gerry Davis said it was "slightly heavier" than their Featherweight.

2. Diamond "Ultra-Lite Low profile"
Looks similar to the Davis. Is it?

OK - After all that - opinions please. I have to assume all provide adequate protection, or they wouldn't exist. Any good or bad to report on any of them. I'm a big fan of leather - can the synthetic stuff be any good?

Others I missed??

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for responses.

Rob
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be nice to have money to speculate like that. But, anyway, I own two different Wilson masks. Both are single bar and both were marketed as "lightweight."

The older one I've had for 7-8 years or so. It has vinyl pads with a suede feeling surface where your face contacts the pads. The pads have always been comfortable enough, and the mask has been serviceable. I never felt like it was too heavy. I don't remember the model number, but you probably don't care anyway.

The newer Wilson is the low-profile design. I've had it for about 3 or so years. I has leather pads. It is noticeably lighter than my older one, and it takes a little practice to get used to the mask when taking it off (so you don't take your hat off, too). I like it a lot. It has taken some shots with good protection and no damage to the mask itself. Vision is somewhat better, but it is not a breakthrough or anything.