The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA 3 Person Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43501-ncaa-3-person-mechanics.html)

DaveASA/FED Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:50am

Dholloway1962,
Not sure which NUS you attended this year, but I also went to one and the one I attended made the messages clear, 1) this is BU's call by the book, and 2) if you deviate you communicate. It was mentioned that this deviation occurres several times in a lot of crews, especially depending on the situation (speed of U3 vs speed of play quick scoop and throw) BUT it was made VERY clear that if you as PU are going to take that call in an ASA game you better call U3 off early and you better darn well be there to make it!!

Scooby,
Any chance this was just a cool way for that umpire to ensure himself that you knew that was your call??? I have asked umpires that I have not worked with a lot that type of question before and it was more of a discussion starting point to ensure they knew that was their call (not this specific situation but others) It can bring out an issue before it happens and make sure everyone is on the same page. One thing that might help is telling your partner "yep thats mine all day just like the book says" not being a smarta$$ but ensuring him that you have read the book and know wtf you are doing! Again not saying this was the case, maybe he was thinking ASA, nobody but him knows for sure, but just an alternative look at what might have been going on.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:56am

Just out of curiosity, what happens if PU gets tangled up with catcher/bat/whatever, and isn't there to take the call? (speaking NCAA)

Skahtboi Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Just out of curiosity, what happens if PU gets tangled up with catcher/bat/whatever, and isn't there to take the call? (speaking NCAA)

The same thing that would happen if the BU ran into F5 and fell on his face in ASA. There would be a communication between the two remaining umpires (I would hope), and the non-tangled umpire would make the call. In your case, the BU. In my case, the PU.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 17, 2008 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The same thing that would happen if the BU ran into F5 and fell on his face in ASA. There would be a communication between the two remaining umpires (I would hope), and the non-tangled umpire would make the call. In your case, the BU. In my case, the PU.

You mean one remaining umpire as the third is going out on the fly ball (or it wouldn't be an issue).

DaveASA/FED Thu Apr 17, 2008 02:14pm

I think that is what Scott is saying there are two umpires to make the call at first (U3 and PU) if PU falls he is going to yell as he hits the dirt "O S^&T HELP" or something to that effect and U3 is going to say, "I got it clumbsy a$$" so the two remaining umpires are going to talk.

Or the old "your never through till you see another blue" will kick in and U3 will look for partner as they are going to 2nd, see him/her rolling on the ground, laugh a little bit and then proceed to cover first.

Skahtboi Thu Apr 17, 2008 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I think that is what Scott is saying there are two umpires to make the call at first (U3 and PU) if PU falls he is going to yell as he hits the dirt "O S^&T HELP" or something to that effect and U3 is going to say, "I got it clumbsy a$$" so the two remaining umpires are going to talk.

You, clearly, understood my post. :D

bkbjones Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36pm

Quote:

You mean one remaining umpire as the third is going out on the fly ball (or it wouldn't be an issue).

Just like the three-man mechanic we have all encountered...when both BUs go out as you holler "ONE MAN!";)

Skahtboi Fri Apr 18, 2008 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
Just like the three-man mechanic we have all encountered...when both BUs go out as you holler "ONE MAN!";)

In a playoff, a couple of years ago, I was working a four man crew. We had a very detailed pregame, as only myself (PU) and another guy (3U) had ever worked four man before. In this, we covered that there will always be an umpire out on a fly ball, usually 2U, and gave the exceptions. We fielded all of the questions from the other two, and covered the important mechanics differences at least twice.

Sure enough, on one of the very first fly balls (to right center) I hear my 3U yell "two man." Sure enough, both 1U and 2U had gone out on the fly.

argodad Fri Apr 18, 2008 09:40am

Quote:

Guilty! One of my early 3-man experiences.

I was U3 with a runner on 2nd. Deep fly to the fence in left. I thought it was toward the line, U1 thought it was straight over F7's head. We both chased. Yes, it was my bust -- should have read my partner. Thankfully, the ball cleared the fence.

Andy Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01am

Quote:

...when both BUs go out...

Guilty.....

Just curious...how do you all pregame in 3-umpire who chases on fly balls between fielders?

I have been taught to allow U1 the "right of first refusal". In other words, U1 makes the decison on whether or not to chase and U3 keys off of that.

argodad Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
Guilty.....

Just curious...how do you all pregame in 3-umpire who chases on fly balls between fielders?

I have been taught to allow U1 the "right of first refusal". In other words, U1 makes the decison on whether or not to chase and U3 keys off of that.

Exactly the way we cover it -- and now I make sure it's covered before every game.

Skahtboi Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy

It should be the same everywhere. That is a key part of fly ball coverage in the 3 man system. Also, I prefer the approach that the NCAA has taken of not to waste an umpire if it is not needed, in other words, clear base hits to the outfield, or can of corn pop flies, do not require an umpire going out on them.

Steve M Fri Apr 18, 2008 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
Guilty! One of my early 3-man experiences.

I was U3 with a runner on 2nd. Deep fly to the fence in left. I thought it was toward the line, U1 thought it was straight over F7's head. We both chased. Yes, it was my bust -- should have read my partner. Thankfully, the ball cleared the fence.

Yeah, me too. I suspect EVERYONE who works a 3-man has done that, at least in the first few 3-man games.
AND, I've also been the guy who's hollered "1-man".
So I've covered both ends of that fun.

Dholloway1962 Wed Apr 23, 2008 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Dholloway1962,
Not sure which NUS you attended this year, but I also went to one and the one I attended made the messages clear, 1) this is BU's call by the book, and 2) if you deviate you communicate. It was mentioned that this deviation occurres several times in a lot of crews, especially depending on the situation (speed of U3 vs speed of play quick scoop and throw) BUT it was made VERY clear that if you as PU are going to take that call in an ASA game you better call U3 off early and you better darn well be there to make it!!

I finally got to talk to our regional UIC. In ASA it is the BU call. I stand corrected as I guess I misunderstood. Just wanted to clarify in case I led anyone astray.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36pm

Quote:

Well, then you may want to suggest he check page 182 of the ASA book:

Calling an Infield Fly:

The plate umpire has the responsibility for judging and calling an infield fly. The infield fly is judged when the ball is at tits highest point. The plate umpire then verbalizes "Infield Fly" or if near a line, "Infield Fly, if fair".

Mike, I think you confused which thread you are in. This one is about who makes the call at first when U1 chases and no runners on.