The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Score keeping ?

I know this is not a score keeping site, but who better to come too than the score keeping God's. This site has always been helpful and informative without getting to political....

My question concerns scoring errors versus hits in a standard high school softball game. My contention is that if a player should have made a play with usual effort, but failed to do so it is still an error. I have been informed that for an error to occur it has to have touched the player or her glove. It doesn't matter if it's a 3 or 4 bouncer to an infielder, if she doesn't touch it, it is not an error.

I thought "with reasonable or oridinary effort" was always the rule that applied...??? iF ANY UMPS OR SCORE KEEPRS KNOW THE GOLD STANDARD I WOULD APPRECIATE IT... THANKS

P.S. No daughter on the team, so I am not politicaly vested in the answer one way or another
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think there's an entry for "error" in NFHS Rule 2.

I'm of the opinion that "ordinary effort" is all that is required. That is, if a routine play is not made, we have an error.

My answer to the "it has to have touched the player or her glove" argument is the ball that rolls, untouched, between the legs of an infielder. THAT'S a hit? I think not.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

I believe it is simply one of those things that "you'll know it when you see it" !
And--- 98+% of the time you get it right.

Last edited by SWFLguy; Mon Mar 24, 2008 at 08:23am.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

This is a pretty good scoring guide that covers just about any possible scoring question:

http://nfca.org.ismmedia.com/ISM2/Mu...nager/ATEC.pdf
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I am a parent, who keeps score at a varsity High School Game - in fact, they use my book for the official book to record online stats. I am not partial in any way. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL...just call it like I see it. I had a girl reach on what I thought was an error, but the parent has already called me quesitoning it. This is High school softball... the shortstop fielded the ball cleanly - not in a good fashion...there were runners from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, basically, she hesitated and ended up not throwing to first to get the out. I scored it an error and when I saw this entry it was almost the exact information I needed...what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
I know this is not a score keeping site, but who better to come too than the score keeping God's. This site has always been helpful and informative without getting to political....

My question concerns scoring errors versus hits in a standard high school softball game. My contention is that if a player should have made a play with usual effort, but failed to do so it is still an error. I have been informed that for an error to occur it has to have touched the player or her glove. It doesn't matter if it's a 3 or 4 bouncer to an infielder, if she doesn't touch it, it is not an error.

I thought "with reasonable or oridinary effort" was always the rule that applied...??? iF ANY UMPS OR SCORE KEEPRS KNOW THE GOLD STANDARD I WOULD APPRECIATE IT... THANKS

P.S. No daughter on the team, so I am not politicaly vested in the answer one way or another
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

A guideline that I have used in this situation (but since I can't remember where I got it from, maybe I shouldn't be sharing or using it) is this:

Mental mistakes aren't errors.

So, if you throw to the wrong base, or don't throw in what should have been a play, that's a mental mistake and not an error. A throw to the wrong base could be a FC, though.