Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

From the baseball board....

Here is an ejection situation from the baseball board

Too Quick?

Assuming this happened in a softball game....would you eject or handle differently?

I know that there are umpires on here that do both sports, are there different levels of tolerance that are "accceptable" in either sport?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Also from the baseball board. I'm in agreement with Peter Booth. When this coach went to the plate it was to show the umpire up. It has to be stopped.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose it might depend on what had been said up to that point, how the coach has acted the rest of the game, or maybe even what kind of mood I'm in that day.

On the initial conversation, I'm saying something like, "The runner never touched the plate". Keep it simple and non-argumentive. If he argues, I'll calmly repeat the same phrase again.

Knowing myself, and having the benefit of hindsight and reflection, after our first conversation about the play, I'm likely to let the guy wander over toward the plate, but will not engage him from that spot. I'll be standing far away, checking my line-up card or otherwise totally ignoring the guy.

Now he's out there- alone and in the spotlight. What's he going to do? Have a temper tantrum? Kick dirt on the plate? Carry on a one-sided monolog with himself? Stand there alone and look like an idiot?

Either way, it makes it clear to everybody there just which one of the participants is being a jerk. And ultimately makes any following ejection much more easire and obviously justified!

I'll give him his few seconds by himself, watching how he reacts, then state something like, "The call stands. Get off the field so we can continue the game".

What he does next will determine if he stays in the game or not.

I'm not real big on giving ultimatums ("Don't go near the plate; Don't say another word"), as they can usually escalate an already confrontational situation. I'm pretty laid back and not real excited- or, too egotistical- about getting "shown up". I'll generally try to keep a coach in the game.

Up to a point!

I'll explain the call in as few words as possible, shut up and listen to the response, repeat the explanation if needed, ask the coach to please leave the field when I'm finished, then turn and walk away.

Leave him out there alone- give him enough rope...- then see if he is going to, in effect, eject himself.

I will not tolerate any argument that is profane, prolonged or personal.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Agree, ultimatums are bad.

Also, rather than direct/command/order, ask for the opposite. In this case, "coach would you come over here" instead of "don't go there" might be better. Followed immediatley of course, with advice about not showing up an umpire and nothing to be gained by being more demonstrative.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Here is an ejection situation from the baseball board

Too Quick?

Assuming this happened in a softball game....would you eject or handle differently?

I know that there are umpires on here that do both sports, are there different levels of tolerance that are "accceptable" in either sport?
For baseball, I don't think it was too quick - maybe avoidable if managed different, but I think I recall that the ejecting umpire is pretty young. Baseball is a different culture.

I agree with Brett's approach. I'd let the coach walk to the plate and show me whether he'd decided to eject himself or not.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'd stand by this ejection.

I dont know that he should have warned him, which may have instigated it. Maybe went a different way and said "lets talk over here" to keep the coach in the game.

Standing at home plate and pointing at it is a great way to go for an early beer. If they need to be warned about that....

Well next time, they wont need the warning.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Baseball is a different culture.
It is a different culture, unfortunately too many softball umpires will tolerate stuff a baseball umpire would never tolerate. We warn, we bench, talk into our line up cards, we go on and on "to keep them in the game", as if that is the most important thing. THEN, some do a "top secret" ejection, where no one even knows and no lesson was learned by anyone. A coach is about as necessary to the game as the hot dog vendor. No umpire needs to tolerate antics from them. And softball coaches could use a little cracking down.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Mar 19, 2008 at 08:36pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Had a coach come out complaining that a batter stepped out of the box. After I explained the rule he started to draw a batter’s box in the dirt (the chalk lines were gone). I said “coach, you’re not trying to show me up are you?”

He said “no, no, no” and quickly left the field. I think he just didn’t realize what he was doing so I let it go.