The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   BU help PU with catch/no catch in infield? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/42669-bu-help-pu-catch-no-catch-infield.html)

Angler Thu Mar 13, 2008 08:50am

BU help PU with catch/no catch in infield?

First time poster:

NFHS game. R1 on 1B, 1 out. I’m the BU in the B slot. Pop fly to infield, F4 moves in to catch it. She bobbles the ball around a little. On F4’s touch R1 takes off for 2B. I take a step with the runner and watch PU for “Out/Safe.” F4, from the ground, throws the ball to 2B. R1 totally beat the ball, easy call safe.

Coach starts screaming at me telling me F4 actually caught the ball. I quiet him down, talk it over with the PU who upholds and signals the call that it was not a catch. The coach is still asking ME to tell him whether or not I saw the catch. I was only about 5 feet from the play and definitely saw the first part of the play, but not the finish. I just tell him that’s the PU’s call, and I didn’t see anything that would change it. Play ball.

My question: SHOULD I stay with a catch/no catch play like that? And if I see something different from the PU what should I do?

Skahtboi Thu Mar 13, 2008 09:07am

You should always try to stay with the ball on plays like this, while at the same time being mindful of any OBS/INT that might occur on the play. (Or, for that matter, any other violation). However, the call is the PU's call all the way. If it was close, he should have signalled safe with a vigorous "no catch" call to ensure that all, including his partner, knew the status of the play.

Also, never, ever, discuss any aspect of your partner's call with a coach. When you said, "That is the PU's call." that should have been your final words about it to the coach. He requires no other information from you.

Andy Thu Mar 13, 2008 09:45am

Angler - Welcome to the forum! :)

I agree with Scott....often the BU will have a better angle to see these plays than the PU coming out from behind the plate. As PU I have been burned on this a few times with sinking line drives that were either caught or short hopped right in front of the infielder. If you are in a straight line with the fielder, it's almost impossible to see clearly.

On these plays as PU, I will hesitate a split second if I think the ball was caught and look at my partner for help. Hopefully, s/he is giving me some type of indication that the ball was either caught or short hopped (I know, more unauthorized signals :eek: ). You can also try to watch the fielder and let her tell you what happened. If she comes up throwing, the ball probably wasn't caught.

Skahtboi Thu Mar 13, 2008 09:54am

Oh yeah...where are my manners?

Welcome to the forum Angler.

MNBlue Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You should always try to stay with the ball on plays like this, while at the same time being mindful of any OBS/INT that might occur on the play. (Or, for that matter, any other violation). However, the call is the PU's call all the way. If it was close, he should have signalled safe with a vigorous "no catch" call to ensure that all, including his partner, knew the status of the play.

Also, never, ever, discuss any aspect of your partner's call with a coach. When you said, "That is the PU's call." that should have been your final words about it to the coach. He requires no other information from you.

I agree with eveything you have to say, but I would only say "NO", as opposed to "NO CATCH". I don't want someone to 'miss hear' what I say and think I called "CATCH".