The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta be getting close to the season now. After a couple of srimmages indoors, I had my first outdoor scrimmage today and worked up a sweat - not bad for north central Pennsylvania in February. Got a couple of clinics over the next few weeks and then on to the first game.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Cool It is real close

Tomorrow night 1st slow-pitch games will start and wouldnt you know it a cold front is coming in to. It was 75 or so here today and tomorrow night I believe it suppose to get down to 30's with wind blowing. Oh what fun we have

Also worked on fast-pitch plate mechanics today and boy are my thighs sore. I will get about 1 1/2 months of slow-pitch in before I call any fast and will diffently work on the lower squat so hopefully the legs will be ready when fast-pitch starts

Anyway it is real close now. I can almost here that "Come on Blue the hands are part of the Bat" yell coming

Don
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

The local community college has played 16 softball games and 11 baseball games. One of the local high schools played softball and baseball today. Love Southern California.

Bob

[Edited by bluezebra on Feb 24th, 2002 at 11:50 PM]
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
The local community college has played 16 softball games and 11 baseball games. One of the local high schools played softball and baseball today. Love Southern California.

Bob

[Edited by bluezebra on Feb 24th, 2002 at 11:50 PM]
Not me... ya gotta put up with all those left-coast nuts, screwy PC politics, wall-to-wall people, and maddening traffic. I'll stay with the short softball season in trade for upper midwest values.

(The above just proves the notion that people can rationalize anything!)
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota:
I was born and raised in Chicago. Spent 31 years there, except for a 3 year hitch in the Marine Corps during the Korean conflict. We barely thought about playing ball until April. Here we play all year. Keep your below zero weather. Talking about nuts, how about those extreme right wing anti-government, anti-social, white supremacist types that permeate your area?

I live in the High Desert area, and don't have the traffic problems of big cities.

Those upper midwest "values" somehow don't seem to include "minorities".

Keep your below zero blizzards. I'll take the sunshine.

Bob
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was just funnin' to try to cover up my jealousy - there's nutty people everywhere. Besides, we treat minorities very well here (a minority in these parts is anyone who isn't Swedish.)
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
...worked up a sweat -
Steve:

You shoulda been with me this past Saturday. Called a varsity round robin tournament. My partner and I were on the field non-stop just short of 12 hours as a result of our replacements failing to show. (We were just supposed to call the morning shift.) Anyway, the temperature in the DFW metromess was a balmy 76 and we did indeed work up a sweat. Saw some great ball playing too.

Of course here, the high school and college seasons are two weeks old already.

Scott
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota:

Sorry I couldn't see your tongue in your cheek. Don't be too jealous. At least you have real trees (we have Joshua Trees/cactus), and trees artificially planted. You also have water in real lakes, and not only in reservoirs. And water in rivers, instead of sand.

Bob
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Oh what fun we have

Season started this week have done 2 nights. Everything has gone well so far except for the lousy weather and long games. Have had 2 run rules, 1 overtime won by the home team with last at bat, and 3 1 run games all won by the home team in their last at bats. Monday nights weather was so bad after the 3 games I had to sit in the car for about 10 min. to just thaw out enough to drive home.

Thought Steve M. might get a laugh knowing that he is a legend in the ballparks now!! I overheard from the visitors dugout last night a guy repeating his "Got her in the box" story that he had seen on the internet. I laughed as I heard him telling it, then we played on

Also have to say I envy Bluezebra and that 70+% weather right now that I would love to have

Have a good one

Don
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Now that's funny, Don. I did get a kick out of that.

Got a clinic to do Sunday - 'course they're calling for plowable snow then. Figures. Was supposed to head up to Connecticut next week to take a clinic, but then the van decided to want a few hundred of work and I better get that done before the season. Then a BB clinic the week after that and then the season starts.

I kinda envy Bob's 70-degree temps now, too. And I think he said he can see all the snow he wants - on top of the mountains in the distance.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

High Desert?

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

A 3 year hitch in the Marine Corps during the Korean conflict.

I live in the High Desert area, and don't have the traffic problems of big cities.
Bob
Bob...
Let's see....
For 2 years I was guaranteed an occupation where the tools of choice included hand grenades and machine guns....
For 4 years I got an "Aviation" guarantee!!! This specialized field guaranteed me an occupation of throwing hand grenade and shooting machine guns around aircraft....
What did you get for 3 years???
The Korean Conflict... Was that before or after the Vietnam Conflict?
Oh yeah... That was the Conflict to end all Conflicts..

High Desert? I live in Ridgecrest... Are you higher or lower?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.