The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 10:29am
M.A.S.H.

I had a game on Thursday night. Whenever I got there the gym was all lined up in chairs -- I'm thinking, I honestly don't think we are going to be playing basketball tonight unless it's musical chairs basketball. Anyways, the AD was still in her office (why I don't know at 5:30, but anyways). She told me that she called and left a message that the game was canceled however I never got it. So, since I'm a nice guy and it wasn't that far of a drive (10 miles, tops), I am going to let it side THIS time. But, how many of you would of stuck her with your contract and said "show me the money!?"
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Who assigned you the game? Did it come straight from the AD or from and assignor? What does your assignor think is fair? Maybe by talking with them, you will learn if this is a "once in a million" or if it's happened before. IMO, she should have at the very least covered your fuel expense. Good Luck and please let us know the outcome.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Who assigned you the game? Did it come straight from the AD or from and assignor? What does your assignor think is fair? Maybe by talking with them, you will learn if this is a "once in a million" or if it's happened before. IMO, she should have at the very least covered your fuel expense. Good Luck and please let us know the outcome.
In our association, if we have left for the game and haven't been notified, we get paid for the game and the mileage. It's not fair to penalize the referee for a mistake by the assignor or school.... we do have other things we could be doing (probably another game instead).

Z
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I had a game on Thursday night. Whenever I got there the gym was all lined up in chairs -- I'm thinking, I honestly don't think we are going to be playing basketball tonight unless it's musical chairs basketball. Anyways, the AD was still in her office (why I don't know at 5:30, but anyways). She told me that she called and left a message that the game was canceled however I never got it. So, since I'm a nice guy and it wasn't that far of a drive (10 miles, tops), I am going to let it side THIS time. But, how many of you would of stuck her with your contract and said "show me the money!?"
There are political ramifications depending on who assigned the game. If you got the game directly from the school and you push the matter with the SCHOOL, you may never get another call from the school. If the game came from an association, then work through those channels to get paid.

There is a significant camp that feels that "if you didn't work why should you get paid?" My feeling is that you've told the world it's a closed date and you may have picked up another game -- you should get paid if only to keep schools and ADs honest when booking officials.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you drove there you should have at least got a travel fee if not a full game fee. The AD knows how to contact the assignor and the assignor knows how to contact you. The AD calling and leaving a message at your home while you're (I'm assuming that's where she called) at your day job the day of the game is not good enough. I bet if you contact your assignor he/she will arrange for you to be paid. That being said I always contact the school the morning of the game to confirm time location etc. For a Saturday game I call on Friday. For games over Christmes etc. I call the schools before the break starts. If the game is cancelled, while I may not be happy about it, at least I saved myself a trip.

Don't let it slide. You deserve to be paid something for your time and expense.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
If you drove there you should have at least got a travel fee if not a full game fee. The AD knows how to contact the assignor and the assignor knows how to contact you. The AD calling and leaving a message at your home while you're (I'm assuming that's where she called) at your day job the day of the game is not good enough. I bet if you contact your assignor he/she will arrange for you to be paid. That being said I always contact the school the morning of the game to confirm time location etc. For a Saturday game I call on Friday. For games over Christmes etc. I call the schools before the break starts. If the game is cancelled, while I may not be happy about it, at least I saved myself a trip.

Don't let it slide. You deserve to be paid something for your time and expense.
This assumes (1) there is a travel fee and (2) there is a third party assignor involved. In many areas of the country games are assigned by league or school officials and there is no travel fee. Demanding payment in a situation like this could leave the official finding he has one less school (or league) to work.

Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 04:46pm
Administrator

The OhioHSAA and the MichiganHSAA have standard contracts that spell out the who, what, and whys between the school and the official. These contracts are binding no matter how the assignment was made: 1) Directly by the school. 2) A league or assignor. Or 3) A local officials association. The position of the OhioHSAA and the MichiganHSAA is that no matter who signed the contract on behalf of the school, is that the contract is between the school and the official.

Having said that, I would like to ask tjones1 a question. Did you confirm your assignment with the school's athletic director at least one week in advance either by letter, fax, or email? This goes a long way in heading off disasters like yours. No mattter which of the three methods you use to confirm, always make sure all of your telephone numbers and your email address are listed somewhere in the letter and also include a copy of your contract.

Now lets get down to the real nitty gritty. Far too many schools look upon game officials as a necessary evil. These schools expect officials to be ethical and professional except when an official who acts in an ethical and professional manner causes the school discomfort. When that happens, the official is always the one who is being unreasonable. I think that one can see where this is heading. Lets face it, sports officiating is a business, and we should be compensated per the contract. When a school is allowed to breach a contract without being subject to the contract provisions then that school will continue to breach contracts.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 11:04pm
M.A.S.H.

Left the house at 10:15am and I am now home at 10:01pm (CT). I made it through today! Ha Ha. Anyways, to answer your questions. 1) I got the game directly from the AD 2) no I did not call. Although I would agree that calling would of saved me some troubles, you know hardly any ADs call to make sure you are coming, unless you are running behind. Secondly, no traveling fees are paid. Lastly, the only problem I have with this is that IF I didn't show up and there was a game, you know the school would be calling me up and demanding the $$$ since I breached the contract. Now my question is, is this excuse good enough from the AD? "Well I know I called you and I left a message." However, obviously I did not get the message. Thanks

T Jones
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 11:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Left the house at 10:15am and I am now home at 10:01pm (CT). I made it through today! Ha Ha. Anyways, to answer your questions. 1) I got the game directly from the AD 2) no I did not call. Although I would agree that calling would of saved me some troubles, you know hardly any ADs call to make sure you are coming, unless you are running behind. Secondly, no traveling fees are paid. Lastly, the only problem I have with this is that IF I didn't show up and there was a game, you know the school would be calling me up and demanding the $$$ since I breached the contract. Now my question is, is this excuse good enough from the AD? "Well I know I called you and I left a message." However, obviously I did not get the message. Thanks

T Jones

tjones1:

You said that you did not call ahead. The only time you should call the AD is on the day of the game if it appears that weather conditions dictate that the game might be cancled. Always, I repeat always, send reminders (letter, email, or fax) one week in advance. Sending a reminder to the AD puts it in writing. Telephone call reminders are worth nothing. You are correct, when you state that if you do not show up to officiate a contracted game, the school will be demanding the breach of contract fee before the game is over. That is why I believe that schools should be made to live up to contracts as much as officials must be made to live up to contracts.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

You took time out of your day not only to drive to the school but also to mentally and physically prepare for the game. That took time away from your day job, and you should be compensated. Stick it to them.

A few more questions to better understand the situation.

Did your partner show up??
Is there something in the contract that covers this situation??
How long before tip-off did the AD make an effort to contact you??
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:17am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
You took time out of your day not only to drive to the school but also to mentally and physically prepare for the game. That took time away from your day job, and you should be compensated. Stick it to them.

A few more questions to better understand the situation.

Did your partner show up??
Is there something in the contract that covers this situation??
How long before tip-off did the AD make an effort to contact you??
1) No, I guess he/she got the message there wasn't a game
2) Yes, states whoever breaches the contract much pay that amount.
3) She didn't exactly say, she used the phrase a few weeks ago I called you.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

We don't work with that sort of system here. We don't have contracts directly with the schools.

However, I think that it should be up to the school (or other contracting body) to make contact with the official to cancel the game unless there is explicit and clear terms about inclement weather in the contract. Otherwise, the school should pay the official.

Even if there are terms about weather cancellation, who's opinion is to be used about the weather being bad enough...and in what location. The weather could be perfectly clear where the official lives and could be snowed in where the school is.

Ultimately, nothing should be assumed. If the official shows up and had no instructions to the contrary, they should be paid as if the game were worked.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

let me add one comment......

When an official / assignor provides contact information (such as home phone, work phone, cell phone, email address, etc.) for any communication needs, he expects to be notified of any changes accordingly. Furthermore, if multiple forms of contact are made available, efforts should be made to "run down the list" until confirmation is obtained. This goes both ways! Do not simply leave one message.

Now, although argueably prudent, I do not make it a habit to contact my assignor (or an AD) for a scheduled game just to be sure it is going on as "booked". That is one reason why we have contracts. This is also a good reason to make use of contracts; it allows you to get paid when procedure is not followed!

If you do not use contracts, you might want to consider implementing them for your own protection here is a sample:

http://www.mhsaa.com/services/offcon.pdf (.PDF)

http://www.mhsaa.com/services/offcon.rtf (WORD)
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I suppose my opinion goes against the grain here.... If I haven't had any problem with a school/AD before, I'd just let the matter go. In life, there are a lot of times when we are "wronged." I'm happy to go through my days while not looking for, or dwelling on, that.

I assume peoples' good faith and think that good community relationships are formed better without resort to "contract" talk. If a school/AD has done this before to me, or I know it/she/he has done it before to someone else, I'd probably pursue it (I agree that we can't let school officials get *too* comfortable with breaching contracts), but my experience is that school officials generally appreciate what we do and try to do right by us.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have had games where the whole crew showed up. The school messed up and they knew it.They paid us...

In this case if the school made reasonable attempts to contact you I'd let it drop. The fact your partner did not show to me says they made an attempt to notify you.

Even if you asked for the money and they refused what would you do?

If you are prepared for litigation go for it but otherwise youre still out the money and may have burned a bridge doing it...