The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Penalty for 10 second rule change

Do not have a new rule book. Anyone know what the penalty is for the batter violating the 10 sec rule.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal09
Do not have a new rule book. Anyone know what the penalty is for the batter violating the 10 sec rule.
rule set?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I will assume NCAA and the penalty is the same, Ball on the batter with the exception that, if deemed to be used to intentionally walk a batter, the umpire will not award a ball to the batter but all runners will be advanced one base without liablility to be put out (illegal pitch penalty)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Are you sure Celtic? I would think if the batter violated the 10 sec rule it would a strike against them.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

NCAA 11.2.1 Effect: If the batter does not comply, the ball is dead. A strike is called, if this is the third strike the batter is called out.

NFHS 7.3.1 Effect: For failure of the batter to be ready in 10 seconds after the ball has been returned to the pitcher, the umpire shall call a strike. If it is the third strike, the batter is out.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Caliente
Are you sure Celtic? I would think if the batter violated the 10 sec rule it would a strike against them.
Can I hide behind the fact that it was early when I read that post? You are, of coarse, correct, it is a strike on the batter.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal09
If you are questioning the rule change in NFHS...here is the text from the book:

Rule 7-3-1: A batter shall not delay the game by failing to promptly take her position in the batter’s box within 10 seconds, or by stepping out of the box when the pitcher is on the pitcher’s plate.
PENALTY: (Art.1) If a pitcher is committed to delivering the pitch, the batter leaves the box at the risk of having a strike called while being out of position. For failure of the batter to be ready within 10 seconds after the ball has been returned to the pitcher, the umpire shall call a strike. If it is the third strike, the umpire shall call time and declare the batter out.
EFFECTS:
1. After entering the batter’s box, the batter leaves it at the risk of being charged with delay. The batter may request time-out if she desires to step out for a valid reason and, if granted, the 10-second count will begin anew when the ball is declared live . The umpire is authorized to refuse to grant time-out if the batter repeatedly causes delay or if her leaving the batter’s box appears to be an attempt to worry the pitcher or gain some other advantage.
2. If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If a pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare “no-pitch” and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter’s action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3-6-9. ( Issue a team warning. Next offender restricted .)

This leaves some room for interpretation.....there is another thread on the NFHS board discussing this rule change.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

This is actually a big change that if followed will speed up many games
and eliminate the "mind games" played by some teams to disconcert the pitcher.
Unfortunately most coaches are likely to be oblivious to this and puts more importance on us umpires to start from game one to make sure everyone understands the rule and its effects and possible penalties.
I plan on making it part of my pre-game conference.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I plan on making it part of my pre-game conference.
Why? The onus is on the coaches to know the rules. If they don't, then just enforce it. They will soon figure it out. Nearly all umpire manuals will tell you that the pre-game with coaches is not a place to give a rules clinic.

Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
Can I hide behind the fact that it was early when I read that post?

Hey if we never made mistakes this world would be a boring place wouldn't it?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Why? The onus is on the coaches to know the rules. If they don't, then just enforce it. They will soon figure it out. Nearly all umpire manuals will tell you that the pre-game with coaches is not a place to give a rules clinic.
I agree - I'm not planning on starting to do any kind of rules clinic at the pre-game. Besides, haven't we all seen that so-called warnings are not effective. See a violation, call it, then be ready to explain.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

No one said you had to "run a rules clinic" at the pre-game. I'm thinking it is a good idea to ask coaches if they have any questions on new rules (such as this) and I'll clarify that it could be done at the first couple of games. Preventative officiating is usually positive, especially since so many coaches may not be clear about new rules.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Preventative umpiring is not a term used meaning to instruct coaches on the nuances of the rules. Preventative umpiring refers to where you see potential trouble, such as a pitcher leaping every pitch in her warm ups, and you notify the coach that if she does that in the game, she will be penalized.

Now, if you ask an open ended question like "any questions coaches?" at the end of your pregame, and a coach just happens to ask about a particular rule, then by all means, give him a concise response regarding the rule. But, if you say something like "now, do you coaches understand all of the rule changes in the NFHS book this season?" then you are inviting yourself, IMO, to give the coaches a rules clinic, which is not the purpose of the pre-game meeting with the coaches.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
No one said you had to "run a rules clinic" at the pre-game. I'm thinking it is a good idea to ask coaches if they have any questions on new rules
Isn't that essentially a rules clinic? I think it is. If they have questions about new rules, they should have paid more attention at their ACE class, or at their NFHS coach's clinic.

It's not the umpire's job to make sure the coach understands all the new rules. Just cover prescribed pre-game topics and play ball. That's it.

Umpires would do themselves a lot of good if they'd learn to shut their mouth and only speak when needed.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Isn't that essentially a rules clinic? I think it is. If they have questions about new rules, they should have paid more attention at their ACE class, or at their NFHS coach's clinic.
I agree with your point; here's another hijack alert.

Starting now (1/1/2008), the ACE Certification is done online. While you have the option to hold the clinic, you 1) may not charge more than the online course (without including an "added-value" agenda), and 2) will not get credited by the National Office for more, and 3) will not get credit for manuals or gifts purchased in prior years. So, despite the substantial benefits available from the live classes, I am doubting they will be held anywhere.

Since there is no means to ask a question or get a rule explanation in the online course, the ACE really cannot be cited any longer as a means of rules education for coaches.