The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

To be honest with you, the reasoning or "comment" offered is what I don't understand.

Up the foul line ISN'T where batters normally warm up, and why do I need to be "observing" the offense's dugout? Will they be "rolling" their bats in the dugout? I can see some umpires start looking for trouble, but then again, I'm a pessimist.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 11:41am.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
To be honest with you, the reasoning or "comment" offered is what I don't understand.

Up the foul line ISN'T where batters normally warm up, and why do I need to be "observing" the offense's dugout? Will they be "rolling" their bats in the dugout? I can see some umpires start looking for trouble, but then again, I'm a pessimist.
How many batters does ASA allow out of the dugout and how close does it allow them to get to the plate between innings? The answers to these questions become meaningless if nobody is watching the offensive team area.

I don't see this mechanic change as that big of a deal. The majority of youth FP and SP umpires aren't going to put their noses in the manual to discover the change anyway. Unfortunately, in the Houston area, there are enough games to be covered each weekend that everyone gets work, whether they care to do things correctly or not. Down here, it is a numbers game.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHBlue
How many batters does ASA allow out of the dugout and how close does it allow them to get to the plate between innings? The answers to these questions become meaningless if nobody is watching the offensive team area.
Between innings? Don't care. The whole damn team can have a bat in their hand outside the dugout as far as I'm concerned. Once it is time to move into position to continue play, then the answer is obviously one. Nor do I care how close they get to the plate as long as they are on their side of the field., but will address the coach of the dangers to a player moving close to the plate during warm-ups

Quote:
I don't see this mechanic change as that big of a deal. The majority of youth FP and SP umpires aren't going to put their noses in the manual to discover the change anyway. Unfortunately, in the Houston area, there are enough games to be covered each weekend that everyone gets work, whether they care to do things correctly or not. Down here, it is a numbers game.
Yeah, it's a numbers game just about everywhere. However, I still need to train the umpires correctly so when it comes to championship play, there is no question as to the proper mechanics. As previously noted, many of the fields in this area would actually place the umpire in a more precarious situation if they try to follow the prescribed mechanics. Though I will instruct umpires in the manner described, I still don't care for what I consider an unnecessary change for ASA.

Maybe it is old school, but I still prefer the umpires have an opportunity to communicate in a position that is not near any zone or action which could be considered dangerous.

Of course, this is just my 42 years of umpiring experience opinion which carries no weight when it comes to training.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

New ASA mechanic

Here another .02 worth --

1. The higher level ball, I absolutely like the NCAA mechanic

2. Low level ball, including 10-16 rec ball -- I won't use it unless I get an inning or two worth of confidence in the pitcher and catcher warming up -- too much of a circus going on, even w/ my superior game management skills (LOL)

3. I have a "rep" of working fast -- it's always 45-55 seconds and we're playing ball -- so I keep games moving. But before we get to that point -- I often use that interval in rec games to train rookie umpires -- OJT in a situation (rec ball) which is almost by definition, an OJT situation

4. It seems that folks who insist novice umpires blindly follow this mechanic are ignoring a greater need for them to have a good measure of "hand holding" from their partners -- and if you do follow that mechanic, then when you deviate to communicate during innings, it's gonna be noticed a lot more than the traditional mentor-mentee getting together on the first base line for 10 seconds of tweaking

Having said all that -- I love the mechanic for NCAA, and I wish Fed would adopt it as well
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Okay, lets go back a few steps. The NCAA is one thing, 10U, 12U, etc. is another world. Even moreso when the backstops are closer.

You, also, may have noticed that I mentioned that the SP warm-up can be just, if not more, dangerous. Remember, there is nothing requiring them to toss the ball is a SP manner. That means you get some idiots who wind up and try to do their best Lisa Fernandez imitation or just whip it in overhand. And, yes, there have been reports of umpires experiencing near misses in these situations when distracted by a coach or ODB.

You can give examples of how it works in the NCAA games all you please, this isn't the NCAA and that decorum established on the fields at that level doesn't always ring true throughout the different games, divisions and classifications of ASA softball.
They only can do their best Lisa Fernandez imitation if you let them. SP can not pitch the ball with excessive speed, even warm up pitches. I also work 10u and 12u, if you pat attention it should not be a problem.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
They only can do their best Lisa Fernandez imitation if you let them. SP can not pitch the ball with excessive speed, even warm up pitches.
Sorry, but you are misinformed. There is no restriction on how a pitcher may deliver a warm-up pitch. A few years ago, there was an attempt to change that requiring a SP warm-up to assimilate a regular pitch. It was met with such opposition, it was promptly rescinded.

Quote:
I also work 10u and 12u, if you pat attention it should not be a problem.
And if you are not there, you need not worry about it at all.