The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

rookie year...as PU missed B-R getting hit by ball she hit in front of the plate...think I was blocked out by catcher...partner had to call dead ball from 2 base but couldn't see if she was in the box or not...we called foul ball and went on...? is, do I try to get outside of catcher or is there another way of not getting blocked out by scrambling catcher.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

FP?

Sometimes you do get blocked out and its fine to get help on these things, in fact your partner should be watching for this every pitch - and sounds like you made the best call you could.

Make sure you are in a proper slot which is inside a ways. Thats the best I can suggest.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cloverdale
...is there another way of not getting blocked out by scrambling catcher.
Well, I've been umpiring since '89, and I still have that problem. However, someone gave me a suggestion last year that seems to help me.

To me, "in the slot" means eyes at the top of the strike zone and nose on the inside of the plate. And when the pitch comes, don't move my head. The clinician watching me, told me that I also had what he called "tunnel vision", meaning that I also was not moving my eyes.

Now, I still set up the same. I still hold my head still, but I follow the ball with my eyes as far as possible. I believe this has increase my reaction time in getting out of my stance after the ball is hit. When the batter moves, or when the catcher jumps up, I seem to move quicker and get a better look around them.

It is still necessary for my partner to watch for batters getting hit by the ball, but it allows me a better jump to see if the batter has taken a step and is out of the batter's box. It also allows me a better jump at getting out of a catcher's way when they are chasing a pop-up to the screen.

I don't know if this will help you. I don't even know it is it an "approved mechanic". But I feel much more comfortable with it.