The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've been asked to call several "scrimmages" for some local 14U teams. It's still their off-season, so they want to play some games to tune-up, but they want real umpires to call the games. Usually these type of games turn into a round robin event.

A)Assuming that these will be handled in a "real game" format, would you expect to be paid your normal game fee?

B)Would you do it cheaper and consider it practice?

C)Do you set a time limit?

Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

In our local association for high school scrimages we get one game fee split by the umpires. (On some scrimages we may send one veteran umpire and several newbies. The umpires will rotate in and out of the game, and after a play a coach may stop and talk to his players about a mistake, and the veteran umpire may stop after a play to address the officials.) We get promotional points on the state level for officiating scrimages.

In the local youth leagues, we are generally paid the going game rate.

We have time limits on scrimages, and generally allow free substitutes and try to make it a learning experience for players and new umpires.

Some of us do pre-season intersquad games without being paid, just to help get back in the swing of things before we actually start getting games.

Multi umpire scrimages and intersquad games are great instructional tools for umpires, if you have a knowlegable vetern in the crew.

Roger Greene
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

For whatever it's worth, here are my thoughts...

The biggest concern I would have would be insurance. Since this is not likely to be an event sanctioned by any of the softball organizations (ASA, ASA, etc.), if you have insurance through them, it probably won't cover you.

Are they looking to you to set the "ground rules"?

If so, and assuming a multi-team format, I'd suggest a 65 minute time limit, additional mercy rule (15 after 3, 10 after 4, 8 after 5), no tie breaker, free substitution, and round-robin (bat-the-bench) batting.

If you have some new umpires, use it as a way to get some experience for them. Make sure the coaches know you will be using some rookie umps, and may need to interrupt the game for a "teaching moment" and that you will tolerate no guff from the coaches about rookie calls.

If I was using rookies, I'd go with some sort of discount on game fees, but not free.

If the coaches don't want rookies, I'd charge full game fees.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota makes some valid points about insurance, points I have thought of many times myself. Around here most coaches want their scrimmages to be free flowing and more open ended than a real time game, so that they may have instructional time. An example was one game I was calling this past fall, I called a girl out for her failure to commit to either base while the pitcher was holding the ball in the circle. The coach came over and asked the offending player to describe, in detail, what just occurred and why she was now out. At first she seemed bewildered, but then the lightbulb of recognition came on as she went over the play. This one particular coach does this with his players all the time (14U travel team), and I can tell you this, those girls have a better handle on the rules than many their age. They are also always thinking when they are on the field. It is really quite refreshing to see.

Now..to answer the original question. We usually do scrimmages with full pay and one man mechanics. Time limit is always 75 minutes, drop dead. Bat the entire line-up to get everyone the optimum playing time.

Scott
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

RE: Scrimmages

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
I've been asked to call several "scrimmages" for some local 14U teams. It's still their off-season, so they want to play some games to tune-up, but they want real umpires to call the games. Usually these type of games turn into a round robin event.

A)Assuming that these will be handled in a "real game" format, would you expect to be paid your normal game fee?

B)Would you do it cheaper and consider it practice?

C)Do you set a time limit?

A]. Gary around this area, E. Texas we normally get the normal
fee.

B]. Problem with excepting less is, teams get use to it and
will hold you to it later.

C]. Yes, set time limit. Some teams will really take advantage
of you if you don't. Hour five finish inning is more than
adequate.

Sounds like you are fixing to have some fun. {grin}

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

From my knowledge of other umpires and myself, we know that
if we call a scrimmage game that ASA insurance won't cover us, but we look at it like a pre season warm up for umpiring. If a coach calls our association, we send rookies with a veteran, normal fees are charged and time limit is from 1 hour 15 to 1 hour 30.
If I take one on my own, I don't charge the normal game fee as no one is taking a booking percentage, I negotiate about
maybe $5.00 below and take cash only. Some coaches will pay
more than regular game fees to get the umpires they want for
round robin friendlies or a fund raising round robin with
single elimination.
If it is just a regular teaching type scrimmage, I'll call
it alone w/a parent or coach on the bases, and allow for instructional time. But, we usually only play about 5 innings or 75 minutes. Here again, cash only and below regular rate. We all can use a little practice to get warmed
up for the upcoming season and a chance to follow new rule
changes. It's also a great time to educate the coaches on
new rule changes so they don't have any misconceptions.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

For FED ball here in AZ, each umpire is asked to work one or two pre season scrimmages for free. It is required of the beginning umpires. Usually there are several umpires there, vets and rookies and in-between, our agreements with the coaches are that they or we can stop a game after any play for teaching purposes. These are generally low-key affairs and last about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Each umpire gets to work an inning or two on both the plate and the bases.

For ASA - the "season" here pretty much goes year-round due to the weather, but our assignor will notify us if a practice game, Round robin, friendly, is available. The fees and time limits are negotiated in advance and we are given that information to use in deciding whether or not to accept the assignment. Most of the time, the fees are within a dollar or two of a normal game fee and are paid in cash at the game.