The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   top 3 dumb comments of the weekend. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/37663-top-3-dumb-comments-weekend.html)

gdc25 Mon Aug 20, 2007 09:29am

top 3 dumb comments of the weekend.

adult slow pitch.
  • Hey Blue, you or the catcher have to move that bat in case there is a play at the plate.
  • How can you call that a Strike? It didn't go past the point. (pointing at the mark in the dirt behind the plate)
  • This field has too much dirt. (we've had no rain and there is a city wide ban on water usage resulting in about an inch of dust on parts of the diamonds.)

Bash me, ignore me or join in my humor... these made me laugh during a long hot weekend.

SRW Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdc25
adult slow pitch.
  • Hey Blue, you or the catcher have to move that bat in case there is a play at the plate.
  • How can you call that a Strike? It didn't go past the point. (pointing at the mark in the dirt behind the plate)
  • This field has too much dirt. (we've had no rain and there is a city wide ban on water usage resulting in about an inch of dust on parts of the diamonds.)

Possible replies:
1. If you wouldn't put the bat there when you run to first, there wouldn't be a problem now, would there?
2. I can't believe you're that stupid enough to question balls and strikes.
3. If you get your shop-vac, I'll go find you a power cord.

CelticNHBlue Mon Aug 20, 2007 03:10pm

• "That pitch isn't good enough for his zone, you can't throw it at the eyes or the ankles."
  • On a pulled foot at first, called from 'C': "That's not your call!"
  • After the pitcher puts a wisp of hair behind her ears: "Blue, that's illegal, she has to wipe before she goes to the ball."
  • "If the shortstop picks up the ball on the mound and gives it to the pitcher, doesn't the shortstop have to throw one pitch?"
  • After the assistant coach was ejected trying to show up an umpire: "Blue, why the quick trigger, he was just asking a quesion?"

pob14 Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdc25
adult slow pitch.

I wish I still had the book, but years (and years . . . ) ago, I umpired under Chicago Umpires Protective Association (UPA) rules, and this rule was actually in the book. There was even a diagram showing balls that landed short of the point, and labeling them "Can Not Be Strikes." (I particularly remember the unusual spelling of "cannot" as "Can Not".)

JPRempe Wed Aug 22, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pob14
[/LIST]I wish I still had the book, but years (and years . . . ) ago, I umpired under Chicago Umpires Protective Association (UPA) rules, and this rule was actually in the book. There was even a diagram showing balls that landed short of the point, and labeling them "Can Not Be Strikes." (I particularly remember the unusual spelling of "cannot" as "Can Not".)

What's unusual about spelling it can not? That's how it's supposed to be spelled. It is two separate words, after all...

:D

BretMan Thu Aug 23, 2007 09:38am

I can not...errr...cannot...ummm...can't find evidence to fully support that!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cannot

JPRempe Thu Aug 23, 2007 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan
I can not...errr...cannot...ummm...can't find evidence to fully support that!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cannot

The simple rule is that if you have to use an apostrophe (can't, won't, shouldn't), it should be spelled as two words if you actually choose not to use the contraction version. I don't know why cannot is accepted when donot or willnot is not. See what I'm talking about there?

JefferMC Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPRempe
The simple rule is that if you have to use an apostrophe (can't, won't, shouldn't), it should be spelled as two words if you actually choose not to use the contraction version.

Okay, since this thread has been highjacked anyway...

I would dispute this statement. The "simple rule" is to place the appostrophe where the missing letters were when you make a contraction. Saying the reverse is true is like saying since all un-hit balls passing through the strike zone are strikes that all strikes are un-hit balls passing through the strike zone (which improperly excludes foul tips, etc.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by "MerriamWebster
a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of a sound or letter;

Ever seen "Int'l" to mean "International"? Where does the space go in this case?

But, FTR, "cannot" and "can not" are both equally accepted spellings. And if you personally find one unusual and it helps you remember a funny rule, I don't have any problem with that.

JPRempe Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC
Okay, since this thread has been highjacked anyway...

I would dispute this statement. The "simple rule" is to place the appostrophe where the missing letters were when you make a contraction. Saying the reverse is true is like saying since all un-hit balls passing through the strike zone are strikes that all strikes are un-hit balls passing through the strike zone (which improperly excludes foul tips, etc.).

Ever seen "Int'l" to mean "International"? Where does the space go in this case?

But, FTR, "cannot" and "can not" are both equally accepted spellings. And if you personally find one unusual and it helps you remember a funny rule, I don't have any problem with that.

All I have to say is that the way I use it is the way it was taught in grade school through college for me. If they've loosened the rules to further degrade the American English language, then doom on them! :D

Dakota Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53am

Where does the space go in "ain't"?

Quote:

apostrophe
n.
a mark (') used:
a) to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word or phrase (Ex.: o' for of, it's for it is)
Quote:

Romeo and Juliet (III, i, 94)

A plague o' both your houses!
Just a guess, but that usage probably pre-dates your school days.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPRempe
All I have to say is that the way I use it is the way it was taught in grade school through college for me. If they've loosened the rules to further degrade the American English language, then doom on them! :D

Hell, some colleges don't even require decent spelling when submitting papers. As I was told by my wife's nephew (a Razorback student) last year, "None of my professors care about the spelling or grammar as long as I get the point across."

It is just unbelievable.

tcblue13 Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Hell, some colleges don't even require decent spelling when submitting papers. As I was told by my wife's nephew (a Razorback student) last year, "None of my professors care about the spelling or grammar as long as I get the point across."

It is just unbelievable.

I guess his professors don't believe in do o'ers either:D

mcrowder Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC

Int'l is not a contraction, it's an abbr.

mcrowder Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Where does the space go in "ain't"?

After the M.

Mountaineer Thu Aug 23, 2007 01:27pm

Oh my g'sh. Isn't th's a s'ball for'm? Can't you gu's go to the Engl'sh for'm and fig't th's out? I mean c'mon gyu's!:D