The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

BR in Kansas

I just woked 5 games, all behind the plate at 2 hrs + a game for a 10U BR tourney. Long hot day here in Kansas, but I would do it again. One pitcher had a curve ball that would make you puke it moved so much and catchers that framed the piches. Way more than I expected from 10 yr olds.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

what is "BR" ?
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan
what is "BR" ?
I was wondering where that batter-runner went to last night. Ended up in Kansas, huh? Can anyone tell me if she beat the throw?

Actually, the BR may be referring to Babe Ruth, which like LL and other baseball oriented groups, has no business being in the softball game (JMO).

Come on, give the guy a break. If he woked all that time, is arms have to be worn out from stir frying that long.

c4in, all in fun. That sounds like a long day. Better you than me.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I was wondering where that batter-runner went to last night. Ended up in Kansas, huh? Can anyone tell me if she beat the throw?

Actually, the BR may be referring to Babe Ruth, which like LL and other baseball oriented groups, has no business being in the softball game (JMO).

Come on, give the guy a break. If he woked all that time, is arms have to be worn out from stir frying that long.

c4in, all in fun. That sounds like a long day. Better you than me.
BR is referring to Babe Ruth. How better else to conduct a softball game if not patterened after baseball? Maybe introduce new rules that compensate for the "lesser abilities of girls"? Having a softball rule set based on OBR is the most efficient and direct correlation a softball game can get. I do understand that the "old folks" can no longer keep up with the play OBR requires, so the ASA and USSSA rule sets need to be there. But for the younger crowd, OBR should be the standard (IMO). By the way, I'm 41 and seen a few rules sets change over the years.

Yes, it was a very long day. I have 3 more games today and am looking forward to work on Monday so I can rest.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4in
BR is referring to Babe Ruth. How better else to conduct a softball game if not patterened after baseball? Maybe introduce new rules that compensate for the "lesser abilities of girls"? Having a softball rule set based on OBR is the most efficient and direct correlation a softball game can get. I do understand that the "old folks" can no longer keep up with the play OBR requires, so the ASA and USSSA rule sets need to be there. But for the younger crowd, OBR should be the standard (IMO). By the way, I'm 41 and seen a few rules sets change over the years.

Yes, it was a very long day. I have 3 more games today and am looking forward to work on Monday so I can rest.
Wow, a sexist pig who apparently doesn't understand that softball and baseball are not the same game. Would you be surprised to find out that baseball was derived from a sport more resembling slow pitch softball?

Using OBR for softball is a joke. Then again, many baseball people cannot even agree on parts of OBR for their game.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

HA!

I knew it! I almost responded yesterday, suspicious of this poster and his awe inspiring 2hr+ 10U games (LOL!) with a pitcher with a curve that could make you puke (LOLLLOLL)... then just decided not to post. Smelled too fishy.

Lame.

You guys totally fell for it.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ill bite the troll bait...

(edited to be nice.....mom would be pissed if she saw this.....)

Last edited by azbigdawg; Sun Jul 08, 2007 at 11:56pm.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, the sexist comment was a poke at the statement above. Sarcasm does not translate into text very well.

Quote:
Would you be surprised to find out that baseball was derived from a sport more resembling slow pitch softball?
No. I am very well aware of the origins of softball and baseball. Granted, my major was not sport history, I did a few papers in that area.

Smells too fishy? Troll? Not in about 15 years have I had fun doing that. This was an honest post about a tourney I worked this weekend. For those of you who endeavor in the beer swilling realm of adult slow pitch, you would be very surprised at the talent that can be found at the lower levels where it still resembles a sport instead of an outdoor keg party.

I will have to say that I was apprehensive about posting on here. But my better judgment lost. I have seen how the forum can be to “newbies”. I will keep lurking as I have done for the past year as there is useful information here from time to time.

Here is the link for the tourney information for anyone that’s interested.

www.kansasbaberuthleagues.com

Choose “tournament” then “10 & under softball”
I worked the Fri 6 (plate) & 8 o’clock games. Sat I worked the 9am, 3, 5, 7, and 9pm, plate for all. Sun I worked the 2 and 4 (plate)

Carry on…..
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Smells too fishy? Troll? Not in about 15 years have I had fun doing that. This was an honest post about a tourney I worked this weekend. For those of you who endeavor in the beer swilling realm of adult slow pitch, you would be very surprised at the talent that can be found at the lower levels where it still resembles a sport instead of an outdoor keg party.
The majority of us are primarily ASA JO FP umpires. Just FYI.

You have a strange angle there troll.

You are touting some 2nd rate league .. 10U at that, and slamming girls abilities at the same time.. then pretending you are walking tall in a land of beer league umpires, when most of us work JO FP at the highest levels.

Strange.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Where in Kansas??
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The majority of us are primarily ASA JO FP umpires. Just FYI.

You have a strange angle there troll.

You are touting some 2nd rate league .. 10U at that, and slamming girls abilities at the same time.. then pretending you are walking tall in a land of beer league umpires, when most of us work JO FP at the highest levels.

Strange.
Sarcasm - a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

What you perceive as "slamming girls" was the not the point. I only girls games and think they acctually have more talent as boys at the younger age.
The statement was sarcasm directed ot Irish's statement about OBS not belonging in softball.

I am short, more like a Hobbitt than a troll. (it's that sarcasm thing again)

And as far as ASA...Up untill a few years ago, thats all we had in this area. However, most of the smaller towns are switching from ASA to Babe Ruth because of ASA's large increase of fees (my town switched this year).

Last edited by c4in; Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:15am.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
HA!

I knew it! I almost responded yesterday, suspicious of this poster and his awe inspiring 2hr+ 10U games (LOL!) with a pitcher with a curve that could make you puke (LOLLLOLL)... then just decided not to post. Smelled too fishy.

Lame.

You guys totally fell for it.
yeah I was wondering about the 10U curve ball comment ... the 10Uers are too close and dont throw hard enuf for the ball to curve much, unless she's REALLY exceptional
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sarcasm - ...
I appreciate a good sarcastic comment to make a point, or even just for a laugh. But, using sarcasm does come with a risk that people will take your comment for what it actually says.

I, for one, use sarcasm from time-to-time, and sometimes suffer the consequences, too. And, I've been posting here for years so most of the other regulars know how to recognized my (supposed) wit.

Your first post was complimentary to the 10U's (as I took it). Maybe time to chaulk this thread up and move on.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sarcasm - a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
Try this next time:

Quote:
And as far as ASA...Up untill a few years ago, thats all we had in this area. However, most of the smaller towns are switching from ASA to Babe Ruth because of ASA's large increase of fees (my town switched this year).
What large increase in fees? Must be something local.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Try this next time:
Understood, thanks.

Quote:
What large increase in fees? Must be something local.
I am not a member of the sports board, so I am not sure what the amount was. Just that it was a rather large increase. Understand, my town is very small, so I don't think the increase would have to be much larger that a couple of hundred to make them look for other organizations. I do know the town ( much larger than my town) just West of me is in its last year of ASA. They are changing to Babe Ruth next year for thier youth ball. I do think they are staying with ASA for adult.

Which ever rule set you work with, it is still just a rule set. From my experience, they all seem to change over time, some good changes, some rather dumb changes. I have not worked with Fed rules, but have been kicking the idea around.