The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/030417.html

There is some serious "Tarhell Haters" out in Lawrence. I can somewhat understand their anger. But to sell (and buy!) "anti-Williams, anti-Carolina" t-shirts is over the top.

Looking for your views!
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

This makes me very sad

Unfortunately this kind of thing happens in the Big 12 much more often than it should. In all sports, not just basketball. Why can't fans just thank him for all that he has given to the program, then wish him luck in his new endeavors? Why do some fans think that they own a coach, player, etc? Personally, I would be sad to see Kelvin Sampson or Sherri Coale leave Oklahoma, but I would never feel that they wouldn't be welcome back on campus again. And I would certainly want them to attend the banquet so that I would have one more chance to shake their hand and wish them all the best.

It's these same fans who only come to games just to insult the opponents, not to watch the game and cheer for their team. And it's my guess that many of these are the same jerks who hurl insults at the officials. The solution to the problem? Beats the heck out of me! I guess I have to accept the fact that some people are just *ssholes, period. Often it's hard to just ignore them and enjoy the games. It's frustrating to not be able to say anything to them because to do so would risk starting a brawl and that would be even worse. How do you teach good sportsmanship to a neanderthal?

These 'anti-Williams' people claim to love basketball, but somehow 'that just don't compute.'
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Three years ago, when Williams turned down the Carolina job, many Tar Heel fans were very upset. So, the reaction in Kansas is not unexpected. However, I don't remember anti-Williams or anti-Kansas t-shirts showing up around here.

I agree with JustAFan. "It's these same fans who only come to games just to insult the opponents, not to watch the game and cheer for their team. And it's my guess that many of these are the same jerks who hurl insults at the officials." I don't think the conduct is indicative of every JayHawk fan. Those who yell loudest are always heard the most. It'll be interesting to see how he is received tonight at the team banquet.

Bottom line, Roy Williams is the head basketball coach at the University of North Carolina. The sooner Kansas puts this behind them and focuses on the future, the better.

Hey, I hear Matt Doherty is available.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Up here in Canada, the same things happened when hockey great Wayne Gretzky got traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the L.A. Kings. People villified the Oilers' owner, Peter Pocklington, burning him in effigy. Some even turned on Gretzky, despite him bringing them four Stanley Cup Championships. Hell, they even blamed Janet Jones (they married the year before he was traded) for "stealing" him away. To make matters worse, the Gretzky-led Kings knocked the Oilers out of the playoffs the next season.

For many, it took years for the bitterness to wear off.

People are passionate about sports. Sometimes passion comes out different ways. Many times it comes out the wrong way.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas fans aren't the only ones who are unhappy!

Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a businessman found a way to make money selling t-shirts.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

No problems at the banquet

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...as/5660662.htm

Sounds like the whole thing came off without a hitch.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

The Kansas family showed a lot of class. Well done. Nick Collison's father gets an "ATTA BOY" from me.

But I think the columnist (Jason Whitlock) has a long way to go before he recovers. The following is from that article:

Williams made a mistake choosing North Carolina over Kansas. He'll regret and pay a heavy price for the decision for a long, long time. He tore apart a beautiful family.

Note to Jason: What horrible price to pay? Do you mean Williams will get to coach at one of the premier programs in college basketball? A program that truthfully, needs him more than he needs them. He should be able to do it his way. And Kansas will continue to be Kansas.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Whitlock is just playing his trump card, trying to play to the masses and increase his own popularity as a morning drive radio DJ and sportswriter.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Whitlock is just playing his trump card, trying to play to the masses and increase his own popularity as a morning drive radio DJ and sportswriter.
I have to agree with you. I'm just surprised. He's a writer for espn.com page 2 and is usually very insightful and keeps things in perspective. I guess it depends on who he's speaking to. But if you use Kansas' philosophy, Oklahoma State should consider Bill Self a traitor as well if Coach Self were to take the Kansas job. He's a OSU alum.