The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I was impressed

This weekend, runner on 3rd tries for home on a passed ball. Catcher gets ball, runs her back, throws to F5 and rundown continues for three full cycles of runner going back and forth. Four fielders swapping places just like in the book and all obviously avoiding OBS after each throw. Finally F5 is close enough for tag from behind with bare hand but drops ball. F6 alertly picks up the ball, tags runner out, also bare hand from behind.

Same game, batter with two strikes drops a drag bunt a foot from 1st base line and makes it safely to 1st. Same batter later tries same thing with two strikes and ball goes foul, but stayed fair for about 40-45 feet.

Oh BTW, these were 10&U.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

If it was ASA 10U, then I'm not impressed with the base runner illegally trying to come home home from third base on a passed ball.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seam
If it was ASA 10U, then I'm not impressed with the base runner illegally trying to come home home from third base on a passed ball.
Well obviously, it wasnt because that wasnt the point.. but if it was, Cecil would surely work nothing less than 10U-A, where it would be perfectly legal.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seam
Dammit, how many months does it take for a rule change to make its way throught he ranks?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

This week it was a pitcher. She kept almost all pitches down, but many just below the knee. Apparently, she/they were used to getting strikes there. After two of those in the second inning, catcher says to her "can't get strikes down there". Next pitch, and most afterward, about 2-3 inches above the knee, a 4-5 inch adjustment. Yes, it was 16&U, but more consistent and accurate than most I've seen.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Dammit, how many months does it take for a rule change to make its way throught he ranks?
Less than one, but that isn't the issue. The issue is the change is there for everyone to see, but the umpire actually needs to attend a clinic or, at least, open a rule book just to get the opportunity to find out about it.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a triple play this week, 14&U. Deep fly ball to left, caught. R1 tagged out at the plate, R2 tagged out by F6 trying to get 3rd on the throw home.

A few other defensive gems, especially a catcher was as good as I've seen at that age. Saw three lefty catchers in 6 games, all with strong accurate throws and deceptive snaps to 1st.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

When my DD was 8U she played in a summer Parks & Rec league. We lost every game but in our last game our F5 made an unassisted triple play. Bases loaded, pop up right to her, all the runners ran thinking she would not catch it. Catch, step on 3B, then turn and tag the runner charging in from 2B. We were pretty excited then I realized it must be tough to reach the peak of your playing career at age 7.
part-time coach,
here to learn.