The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Invisibility

No, this has nothing to do with the famous ficitional British wizard, but everything to do with umpiring.

We are taught that a good blue is an invisible blue.

How far do you go to do that? I'm curious.

I'm asking this specifically, because there is an umpire here (Israel) whose calls I really like (his name is Yaniv). His "ball" and "strike" and "foul" and "time" all sound somewhat similar - he kind of grunts it and melts the word together, and you understand him because the word is a bit intelligible, and he uses hand signals. The advantage, I think, is that his personality is not imprinted on the game. Almost immediately, we ignore him, and pay attention to the ball, the runners, the players, in short, the game itself.

I, on the other hand, have been making very very clear calls. That is, "foul ball" sounds like "foul ball", "strike" like "strike", "ball" I rarely call at all (only ball four), but the point is that you can hear my voice, and right away you recognize that it is *me* making the call.

What do you guys think?

_________
ShmuelG
Israel
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I've seen the gamut:
- short unintelligble verbals (hear this a lot)

- a verbal strike call that takes 5 seconds to finish (not just strike threes either)

- one blue that addressed the pitcher by name to tell her to pitch (instead of the lifted hand)

- blues that end each half inning with "That's three, hustle in - hustle out"

- one blue that must be a clown in his day job because he seems to be trying to entertain the crowd, sometimes with some remarks that are full of double entendre. He did it at the end of each half inning loud enough to be heard by everybody near the field (similar to the "hustle" line).

- "Full Count. That's three balls and two strikes" (he started doing this after the coach from one team seemed to have trouble understanding rule application).
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

The way I've always interpreted that saying (be invisible) is that as umpires, we should do our best to not intentionally put ourselves in a position where we are unduly affecting the game. Remain impartial, use common sense, and don't showboat. The mechanics I use to deliver a call are always the same. Routine plays = routine call. Bam-bam plays get a sell. I don't offer my commentary, I don't talk too much, I don't justify every call (Safe! She pulled her foot off the bag 3 feet before the ball got there and the runner made it!).

I'm there to make my calls with absolute impartiality. Let the players decide the game (assuming they behave).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

And then there's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCyqd...elated&search=

Sorry, I know we've seen this a million times, but I still laugh my a$$ off just thinking about it...
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I once worked with an umpire who sang his calls. It was somewhat ridiculous, but at least he had good vibrato.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Don't really buy the term "invisible". An umpire should just work the game, use the prescribed mechanics and signals. Do not ad lib calls and rulings to place oneself in before the game.

It's not so much being "invisible", but working at a level in which you are no more noticeable than other equipment used during the game.

Of course, there are always the moments when teams don't give you much of a choice than to make yourself known
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Don't really buy the term "invisible". An umpire should just work the game, use the prescribed mechanics and signals. Do not ad lib calls and rulings to place oneself in before the game.

It's not so much being "invisible", but working at a level in which you are no more noticeable than other equipment used during the game.

Of course, there are always the moments when teams don't give you much of a choice than to make yourself known
That's the approach I take. I'm not invisible, players & all involved know that I'm present. I'm not generally seeking attention in the game - there are some times when I must have attention, and then I get it.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I once worked with an umpire who sang his calls. It was somewhat ridiculous, but at least he had good vibrato.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. The clown sang a good number of his calls.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I'm happiest invisible.. but if I gotta make myself known, there I be. I dont think its the marker of a good umpire, because there are times when if you are invisible, you are not doing your job. I've also known some decent umpires who put on the "The Blue is here happy hour" .. essentially a show.. and some parents and coaches do like it.. just not my style (nor do I particularly appreciate that style).
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I try to be invisible, until visibility is needed. No show boating, be in the correct position, always make clean crisp calls, verbalize only as needed as much as needed. I don't talk to coaches and players, but I do talk a little to catchers, but never about plays and players