The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Illegal Pitch???? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/35548-illegal-pitch.html)

umpinill Mon Jun 11, 2007 07:42am

Illegal Pitch????

Pitcher takes the pitching plate with ball in non-glove hand
Gloved hand is held against the sternum of the pitcher
She takes the non-gloved hand with the ball and places it on top of the glove
She momentarily stays like this
Then the non-gloved hand is removed from the ball and wiped on the jersey top
After wiping the hand it is placed back on the ball, which is still on top of the glove
Sometimes she may do the same routine once or twice more
Finally the non-gloved hand grips the ball and the arm is swung away from the gloved hand
Hands are brought together one last time, this time ball is placed in glove and removed, just like a normal pitchers routine when bringing the hands together
Pitch is delivered to batter
Every pitch is the same routine, just the number of times the hand is wiped on the uniform may change

Dakota Mon Jun 11, 2007 08:45am

Illegal. And odd. What age level?

umpinill Mon Jun 11, 2007 09:05am

16U. Coach stated that the girl has been doing this for a long time, he feels that she is legal because the ball never enters the glove.

Dakota Mon Jun 11, 2007 09:27am

There is no requirement for the ball to EVER enter the glove. The requirement is for the pitcher to bring the hands together, and to do this once and only once before delivering the ball.

Quote:

ASA Rule 6
Section 3. LEGAL DELIVERY.
A. The pitcher must not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.
B. The pitcher must not use a pitching motion in which, after bringing the hands together, the pitcher removes one hand from the ball, and returns the ball to both hands.
Your pitcher is likely violating both "A" and "B".

wadeintothem Mon Jun 11, 2007 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Illegal. And odd. What age level?

and irritating..

Man, imagine waiting for her to pitch over and over.

Throw the dang ball girl.

CecilOne Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpinill
Pitcher takes the pitching plate with ball in non-glove hand
Gloved hand is held against the sternum of the pitcher
She takes the non-gloved hand with the ball and places it on top of the glove
She momentarily stays like this
Then the non-gloved hand is removed from the ball and wiped on the jersey top

The rest of this doesn't happen because the umpire has called IP.

Quote:

After wiping the hand it is placed back on the ball, which is still on top of the glove
Sometimes she may do the same routine once or twice more
Finally the non-gloved hand grips the ball and the arm is swung away from the gloved hand
Hands are brought together one last time, this time ball is placed in glove and removed, just like a normal pitchers routine when bringing the hands together
Pitch is delivered to batter
Every pitch is the same routine, just the number of times the hand is wiped on the uniform may change

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:46pm

Quote:

16U. Coach stated that the girl has been doing this for a long time, he feels that she is legal because the ball never enters the glove.

Speaking ASA

Coach is mistaken and needs to reread the rule (though I doubt the coach read it in the first place). The requirement is for the hands to come together. There is no mention of being inside the glove.

NCASAUmp Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:51pm

Quote:

We've all heard this one before from a coach, including coaches who complain when I tell them to get rid of their yellow-barrel Evo. "But we've been using it all season!"

debeau Mon Jun 11, 2007 01:45pm

Ask the coach if the ball was hit and the pitcher caught the ball like that would it be a catch . He might get the idea then .

IamMatt Mon Jun 11, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
We've all heard this one before from a coach, including coaches who complain when I tell them to get rid of their yellow-barrel Evo. "But we've been using it all season!"

"I'm sorry, Coach, if you would like to give me a list of all those games I will try to make sure your batters get DQ'd for them."

CecilOne Mon Jun 11, 2007 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by debeau
Ask the coach if the ball was hit and the pitcher caught the ball like that would it be a catch . He might get the idea then .

You actually are suggesting explaining two rules he doesn't know at the same time! :eek: :)

debeau Mon Jun 11, 2007 04:01pm

:D Dammit your right .
Coaches are confused enough already

mcrowder Mon Jun 11, 2007 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by debeau

I wouldn't... I'm having trouble seeing what this description has to do at all with the scenario posted. In fact, it seems CONTRARY to the point (the point being - POSSESSION in the glove is NOT required ... merely bringing the hands together (twice) is what makes the pitch illegal.

debeau Mon Jun 11, 2007 04:12pm

Read the wording of the first posting .
You are getting too technical for a coach with just saying bringing hands together . Lets start simple .

bellnier Tue Jun 12, 2007 02:38pm

debeau...some of us do read the book (although mines a tad out of date), participate in your forum in a civil way, and rarely (but not never) argue calls on the field...please don't paint us with your broad brush...