The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Test Review

I am just sitting here looking over the test and reviewing it again during the season to keep fresh.

Here were a few of the questions that I was stumped on:

1. With R1 on 3rd base and no outs, B3 walks. B3 rounds first base and stops a few feet off of first base. R1 has led off 3rd base several feet and stopped. Pitcher F1 receives the ball back from the catcher and is legally within the pitching circle. F1 fakes a throw toward 3rd base. Both runners, R1 and B3, then take off toward their next base. Legal?

2. F6 attempts to field a batted ground ball. The ball deflects off F6's glove and rolls away from her. F6 takes several steps and is picking up the ball when contact is made with R4 who is running from 2nd to 3rd base. R4 shall be called out for runner interference?

3. Batter B4 is attempting to avoid an inside pitch and the pitch hits B4's hand while it is still on the bat. The ball then rolls into foul territory. This shall be called a foul ball since the hand is considered part of the bat?

Thanks for your help guys. I have a real love/hate relationship for softball because the season is so fast. I love the fact that its done in less than 2 weeks, but I hate the fact that it hits you in the face so fast that you don't have time to keep growing and learning compared to other sports like basketball where the season is longer or football where you have some nights off to study.

Thanks again!

Aaron
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation

1. With R1 on 3rd base and no outs, B3 walks. B3 rounds first base and stops a few feet off of first base. R1 has led off 3rd base several feet and stopped. Pitcher F1 receives the ball back from the catcher and is legally within the pitching circle. F1 fakes a throw toward 3rd base. Both runners, R1 and B3, then take off toward their next base. Legal?
Speaking ASA

Yes, once the pitcher makes a play on any (you're welcome) runner, the LBR is no longer in effect.

Quote:
2. F6 attempts to field a batted ground ball. The ball deflects off F6's glove and rolls away from her. F6 takes several steps and is picking up the ball when contact is made with R4 who is running from 2nd to 3rd base. R4 shall be called out for runner interference?
HTBT, but no unless the player did something that was not part of running (i.e. pushed, kicked, hit the fielder) or deviated from his/her path to make the contact.
Quote:

3. Batter B4 is attempting to avoid an inside pitch and the pitch hits B4's hand while it is still on the bat. The ball then rolls into foul territory. This shall be called a foul ball since the hand is considered part of the bat?
Only if you have no idea what you are doing. Repeat after me, "the hands are not part of the bat", "the hands are not part of the bat", "the hands are not part of the bat","the hands are not part of the bat",....... Don't forget to come back tomorrow when we cover, "the feet are not part of the base."