The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
What is this, 10U?

I am looking for some opinions on handling a certain situation that happened in a high school game recently.

THE PLAY

R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, no outs. B hits a soft line drive right at F4 who short hops the ball (fairly obvious call). I (PU) sell a no catch (to be sure everyone in the park knows the sitch), neither runner moves an inch from their bag an BR stops halfway to first. F4 is now confused at the lack of movement on the bases and tosses the ball to F3 who acts looks bewildered to receive the ball. She tags R2 while standing on 1B; no call from U1. Finally, R1 heads for 3B while BR is now walking back towards her dugout (3b side). R2 still standing on 1B when F3 throws to F6 at 2B (I think looking for an appeal at 2B for leaving early?). Now BR heads back to 1B, F6 touches 2B to force R2, BR reaches 1B, whole park is confused.

THE QUESTION

When F3 tagged R2 while on 1B, she is out, but my partner made no call. This is an obvious first play in the infield, his call, he came across the diamond from C position and could see everything clearly. Would you, PU, make the call when your partner does not in that, or a similar situation?

I felt uncomfortable making that call, and therefor, did not. In this case, I think it may have only added to the confusion and made an ugly situation worse. What say you?
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

IMO, you did the right thing; you called only your area, you observed the rest to give help. When the play is over, I assume you and your partner met to sort it out and determine what calls needed to be made or announced. That was the time to address the tag of R2, between the two of you. It became a moot point, since the defense then made another play to retire R2; and you noted R2 didn't run after out to draw that play, so no further penalty.

If the defense had not made the second play on R2, and had thrown to 3rd base to attempt to retire R1, or if F3 had stepped on 1st (removing the force), then you would have had to tell your BU that s/he must announce the out on R2 when you come out of this meeting. Then let BU explain to the offensive coaches (who will certainly then ask) why the runner wasn't called out immediately.