Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to oneonone
4 "hit-by-pitch" fast balls in a row!

I was watching (not calling) my daughters little league softball game (12 year old/majors) game one night this week and the other team brought in a new pitcher that had great speed, but no control. She nailed the first four batter with wild inside fast balls. The coach only came out after the fourth girl was hit...this due to the parents starting to voice their concerns, and removed her from the game. My question is...as the plate umpire, what do you do when this happens. Do you or can you request that for safety reasons the pitcher be removed? How many girls would you allow a pitcher to hit befor intervening. After the second girl was hit the next two batters positioned themselves as far away from the plate as they could out of fear, which definately gave the defense an unearned advantage. Just courious. All four girls were right handed batters. And I would estimate the pitches to have been between 40-45mph. The PU at the game was a dad that was drafted from the stands and the pitcher was the DC's daughter.

Thanks for your time.

Mike