The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

This play caught my partner and myself in bad position and we never did figure out how to handle it. Let’s see what you think.

Varsity DH, two state ranked big school teams fighting for league championship. R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, I am BU in “C.” Catcher bobbles pitch and both runners break. F2 recovers quickly and R1 scrambles back to 2B, only to meet R2 coming into the bag.

I am sliding towards 2B for a call. F2 guns to 2B and both runners take off in opposite directions. Suddenly we have a possible run down in either direction. No problem for me; I have 2B end which ever way it goes. But partner is stuck in middle of field, not knowing which way to go.

F4 throws to F5 and I sprint toward 3B for the call. Fortunately, F5 ends it with a quick rundown and obvious tag of R1.

Question: Should I have stayed at 2B end and let partner take the call, even if from the center of the field? Or when I went towards 3B should he have moved towards 2B? (And who is covering home if a throw gets by F5?)

WMB

Last edited by WestMichBlue; Sun May 20, 2007 at 07:40am.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
F6 throws to F3 and I sprint toward 3B for the call.
Huh? ....
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This play caught my partner and myself in bad position and we never did figure out how to handle it. Let’s see what you think.

Varsity DH, two state ranked big school teams fighting for league championship. R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, I am BU in “C.” Catcher bobbles pitch and both runners break. F2 recovers quickly and R1 scrambles back to 2B, only to meet R2 coming into the bag.

I am sliding towards 2B for a call. F2 guns to 2B and both runners take off in opposite directions. Suddenly we have a possible run down in either direction. No problem for me; I have 2B end which ever way it goes. But partner is stuck in middle of field, not knowing which way to go.

F6 throws to F3 and I sprint toward 3B for the call.
And you were worrying about your partner's indecision on which way to go!

Quote:
Fortunately, F5 ends it with a quick rundown and obvious tag of R1.

Question: Should I have stayed at 2B end and let partner take the call, even if from the center of the field? Or when I went towards 3B should he have moved towards 2B? (And who is covering home if a throw gets by F5?)
Actually, anything between 1B & 2B is solely your responsibility. There is a runner in scoring position, your partner cannot abandon the holding zone on the 3B side unless to step inside the diamond for a call at 3B.

If your partner heads toward 1B for the backend of the 1-2 rundown and F3 comes up with a throw to the plate to get an advancing R1, there is no one there to cover the play and the PU may end up ducking under the throw.

You may want to think of prioritizing the calls. A call at 3B, and potentionally home, is much more important than a call at 1B.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Huh? ....
Edited to read "F4 throws to F5."

WMB
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Actually, anything between 1B & 2B is solely your responsibility. There is a runner in scoring position, your partner cannot abandon the holding zone on the 3B side unless to step inside the diamond for a call at 3B.
So - if we get a rundown between 1B and 2B the BU is going to cover that alone? I assume that I would have to come inside from the C position; do I find a fixed point to follow the action, or move with it?

Once the players decided to go for the runner going to 3B, should I have stayed on the backside (2B) of a potential rundown and expected PU to move to 3B end?

WMB
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
So - if we get a rundown between 1B and 2B the BU is going to cover that alone? I assume that I would have to come inside from the C position; do I find a fixed point to follow the action, or move with it?

Once the players decided to go for the runner going to 3B, should I have stayed on the backside (2B) of a potential rundown and expected PU to move to 3B end?

WMB
The initial action was a throw from home to 2nd, with both runners approaching. Seems to me your first priority on that is the lead runner and you can't come inside w/o getting in the way.

Then, if there is a rundown between 1st and 2nd, you can't loop around the outside of 2nd and still stay with the play, so inside it has to be, being sure to avoid the lead runner and any throw to 3rd.

All that is because the PU has to stay prepared for the lead runner at either 3rd or home, just like any normal 3rd or home coverage. Real nice if PU can keep lead runner covered and watch 1st end over the shoulder, but basically the BU is stuck with the whole 1st-2nd rundown. As said, the priorities of runners affect the coverage.

I would not recommend a fixed point, but you can't go end-to-end.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

WMB
Before I go any farther, let me state that I'm not suggesting this is an easy situation, it is not. Nor are there any "chiseled in stone" mechanics for this situation. The initial play is 2nd base. At that point in time, the PU should be moving toward 3B, so I would think the lead runner would be his call. He must also be prepared to take the lead runner home, if the play unfolds in such a manner. Unfortunately, that does leave the BU with the trail runner, and in this case you probably would have to make a call at 1B, if necessary, but that is the least important, priority-wise.