The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a big difference???

I am contemplating a switch from baseball to softball next season and am wondering if there are any former baseball guys that have made the switch over to fast pitch softball. What problems have you encountered? Were their problems with mechanics, etc. I don't know if I will actually make the switch, but those three hour plate performances are starting to take their tolls. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref
I am contemplating a switch from baseball to softball next season and am wondering if there are any former baseball guys that have made the switch over to fast pitch softball. What problems have you encountered? Were their problems with mechanics, etc. I don't know if I will actually make the switch, but those three hour plate performances are starting to take their tolls. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I have come over from the dark side.

I have snuck out 2-3 times a year to do a baseball game, but do softball (fastpitch and slowpitch).

I love it. No balks, no throwing over to first 8 times on a runner 2 steps off the bag, yada yada. It is a lot of fun, and I believe your chances of moving onward and upward are much faster and better than in baseball.

Mechanics is a big issue (provided you have good baseball mechanics). You have to be willing to forget some of what you know. Back when I was trusted enough to actually train umpires, one of the big issues was just that -- getting rid of the baseball stuff and learning the softball mechanics.

It's not a big thing to get rid of one and learn the other, it's just that some let their ego get in the way. Don't. Learn the mechanics. They are actually pretty simple.

None of it is rocket science, and boy do I know they can play the game without ya. But it CAN be fun and extremely rewarding.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

To supplement what John has offered, do not resist attending as many rules clinics and a mechanics school. Though rarely noticed by the players and fans, some of the differences which may seem unimportant, can really affect the game and the manner in which you call it.

When I tell an umpire new to softball that he needs to attend a school, I usually get a snobbish look and am reminded of the individual's baseball experience. Had a guy a couple years ago who attended a prominent baseball school (Jim Evans, maybe) who came back and wanted to work some HS softball on top of baseball. He blew me off when I told him he should attend the state school (required of all umpires). Well, he didn't and he struggled working some HS games and left softball. I've since seen him doing some local baseball games (Middle School level), and he seemed to struggle there, also.

As an umpire, and everyone is different, I think you really need to approach each game as completely separate entities as far as training and umpiring is concerned.

Some can crossover and do very well and others have a difficult time. Good luck and welcome.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref
[COLOR="black"]

I'm a long (long) time baseball umpire and now I work both BB/SB (SB only at HS level). Regarding rules, my main issues were the pitching rules and the DP/FLEX. But once I attended every softball clinic I could find and worked a few upper level HS games with great mentors it all became second nature. The mechanics are different.The rotations and positioning on the small field is different. But now it's not a problem, it just takes a little practice. All the singing & chanting took getting used to as well

I enjoy working both sports. I work higher level baseball than softball but I'm moving up in softball. After working 2 seasons of softball (only 2 softball games per week) I received my first 2 playoff assignments with maybe more to come (?). My last game was a 1:23 (2-0) no hitter....fantastic game!