The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

What to cover in pre-game conference with coaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevbrown
One other point I would make is at 10U especially, this is a good rule to review with the coaches prior to the start of a game. I have seen umpires call this differently and I belioeve it is a good thing to ensure the coaches understand how you are going to call this prior to the game starting.
This quote from another thread (about how much time to you allow before invoking the LBR) and a situation at a recent game raised this question: Do you have a standard list of things you go over with the coaches before the game? I expect it will depend some on the age and level of play, but is this something you would typically discuss? Anything else?

(Just tangential, but the game situation I refer to is an ASA 14U rec league game in which the visiting coach started Pitcher 1, went to Pitcher 2 in second inning, back to starting pitcher in third inning, and put Pitcher 2 back on the mound in the 4th inning. "Time, please, Blue!" At the ensuing discussion with the ump, she said that they did this all the time when playing other cities and that if we were not going to allow her to do it we should have discussed it at the pre-game conference. Our approach is that you would assume compliance with ASA rules unless otherwise aggreed upon before the game and there would have been no reason to discuss it unless she brought it up).
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

First, what you describe regarding the pitchers was legal per standard ASA rules except we don't play on no stinkin' mound!

Second, I don't give a rules clinic at pre-game, even at 10U. There will be introductions & greetings, a review of each team's lineup card, a little speech regarding sportsmanship, a reminder to the coaches and we are willing to discuss but not argue about calls, a question regarding players being properly and safely equipped, a brief reminder of any local or tournament rules, a question to the home coach regarding ground rules and a discussion of anything unique about the playing field, a coin flip for home team (if necessary), a good luck and a request for the home team to take the field.

If there were notable rule changes in the off-season, these will be briefly mentioned in the first few games of the season.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Local league - At the beginning of the year, I mention any local rules relevant to the age group, especially when the visitor is from out of town. (Especially time limit or run limit per inning), remind the age groups who have added rules (like 12U - D3k and IFF) of those new rules, and then what Dakota says.

At tourney, I always add at the beginning, "Strict ASA rules, no additions" which sometimes spurs a question about something they are not sure is local or ASA.

That's about it.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

In my other job, I hate meetings, some days all I do is go from meeting to meeting. So when I am the host of the meeting, if anyone drifts from my agenda I shut them up and quickly move back onto the topic on hand. I am known for having some of the quickest to-the-point meetings in my company. I think this also works for me at the plate meeting. When I am doing fast pitch, my meetings are very quick and professional.

Typical Fast pitch meeting:
"Hi, I am Bob, this is Pete."
Reminder about sportsmanship and safety.
Quickly cover unique tournament rules like time limits, and run ahead rules.
Review line up cards (if applicable). Start with the team to my left. "You are batting nine with three subs? Is this the way you want it? Okay that is
"Coaches are your Players properly equipped?" "Then why is this one wearing ear rings?"
"Home Coach please take us around your ground rules" (if applicable). During Tournament play I will deliver the ground rules.
"Are there any questions?"
Flip for home (double flip) "You are heads (the team to my left, I show them the head side), and you are tales (The team to my right, I show them the tales side)." Flip, let the coin hit the ground, "It is a head. Please call it in the air. I heard tales ... it is a head. What do you want home or away? Take the field. The game time starts now." (I know and you know that game time starts with the first pitch, but if the teams think we are on the clock they move just a little faster.)

. That is it, short to the point no fooling around. No comments on the rules, they better know them, because I do. However if they do ask a question I will do my best to quickly answer, but I will not provide a clinic. I will also not rehash past games or questions about what another umpire did or didn't do. While typing this took about an hour, that actual meeting usually last less than two minutes.

Bottom line plate meetings are important, they may be the first contact you have with a team as a team, it is important to show you are in charge, you know what you are doing, but you are also approachable if there is a question or problem. One thing I WILL NOT cover is, "If you have a question on a call, wait for time...." I hate that when other umpires do it, so I will not do it my self. Also joking with the players and coaches at this time is highly inappropriate and is something I will avoid.

Bugg
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

You ask them to call the coin after announcing what it is? (Also, it's TAILS. Tales are stories.)
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
(Just tangential, but the game situation I refer to is an ASA 14U rec league game in which the visiting coach started Pitcher 1, went to Pitcher 2 in second inning, back to starting pitcher in third inning, and put Pitcher 2 back on the mound in the 4th inning. "Time, please, Blue!" At the ensuing discussion with the ump, she said that they did this all the time when playing other cities and that if we were not going to allow her to do it we should have discussed it at the pre-game conference. Our approach is that you would assume compliance with ASA rules unless otherwise aggreed upon before the game and there would have been no reason to discuss it unless she brought it up).
1) Are you saying substututions or position changes?
2) If subs, so far you have one re-entry each.
3) Your stated approach is fine.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Flip for home (double flip) "You are heads (the team to my left, I show them the head side), and you are tales (The team to my right, I show them the tales side)." Flip, let the coin hit the ground, "It is a head. Please call it in the air. I heard tales ... it is a head. What do you want home or away? Take the field.
Ok.. so um..

WHAT??
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
This quote from another thread (about how much time to you allow before invoking the LBR) and a situation at a recent game raised this question: Do you have a standard list of things you go over with the coaches before the game? I expect it will depend some on the age and level of play, but is this something you would typically discuss? Anything else?

Just standard stuff.. nothing fancy.. ASA Tourney:

Name/Partner name.. intros ..
Line Ups
Equipment Confirm
Tourney Rules
Ground Rules
any questions?

Coin flip.. nothing fancy.. regular ole flip it in the air I'll repeat after you.. normally I pick a girl, whoever got there first, or who came farthest if both have girls out there to call it.

No:
-Rules Clinic
-Sportsmanship Review

Sometimes I will talk about how to come to the umps.. just depends and usually not.

Usually it is my expectation they know what they are doing.. if they dont, that is their problem, because they will be held accountable.

Few minutes and we are playing ball.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
You ask them to call the coin after announcing what it is? (Also, it's TAILS. Tales are stories.)
I think Bob was talking about a double flip. Team A, you are heads, Team B, you are tails. flip the coin, comes up heads. Team A, it's heads. Who is going to call it? Please call it in the air. It's tails. Team B, what is your choice? Home? fine. Please take the field.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

We follow the football mechanic, Call it now, I repeat and partner repeats call. In NSA or PONY, clock starts on "Any questions? Good Luck ladies!"
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
a reminder to the coaches and we are willing to discuss but not argue about calls
I have often wondered why umpires leave this in their pregame. To me, it is wordy, unecessary, and puts coach in the mindset of questioning every call that doesn't go their way. JMHO.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

My pregame is much along the same lines as Wades:

Name/Partner name.. intros ..
Line Ups
Equipment Confirm
Tourney Rules
Ground Rules
any questions?

Coin flip, one flip only. None of this "I am going to flip the coin to see who calls it," then flipping it again stuff. Just another time waster IMO. The way I do it is whoever got to the plate meeting first is heads. I have never had a problem with this.

Old Tue May 08, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Ok.. so um..

WHAT??

It' so easy a caveman can do it!

There is no need for a lot of conversation.

I will introduce myself, and crew, take line-ups, home team first ( this is baseball, but a habit I carry to the real game also), review line-ups, give back to coaches and ask "is this how you want to play?". Then cover ground rules, (allow home coach to do this if on his field). Ask both coaches if his players are "properly and legally equipped". I do ask if either has any questions, a few do and I will answer as needed. Then I will say, "put 'em on the field."

For HS play, because it is required by GHSA, I must ask the home coach to point out his "game manager". This is to be a school administrator not affiliated with the team. (I will already have this knowledge, but the visiting coach should know this also.) I ask also if a lightning detector is on site. I am also directed to stress good sportsmanship is expected. In HS only, I will ask the coaches to please have players remove all jewelry. This is NOT a warning, just a reminder that jewelry is not allowed in the hopes I don't have to issue any warnings during the game.

Anything more, and I feel you are just preaching to the choir.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I have often wondered why umpires leave this in their pregame. To me, it is wordy, unecessary, and puts coach in the mindset of questioning every call that doesn't go their way. JMHO.
For all of you who think such things as this or such things as sportsmanship reminders are not required, unnecessary, or otherwise beneath them, one of our former state UICs for ASA used to insist on both of these (wanted us to appear approachable) and our state high school league insists on the sportsmanship reminder. I actually find it helpful, especially with inexperienced coaches. It takes about 15 seconds to say. I guess you COULD consider that wordy and a waste of time, but not many words, not much time. I have never had a coach use it as permission to question everything, or even a lot of things. They seem to understand perfectly what it means.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
For all of you who think such things as this or such things as sportsmanship reminders are not required, unnecessary, or otherwise beneath them, one of our former state UICs for ASA used to insist on both of these (wanted us to appear approachable) and our state high school league insists on the sportsmanship reminder. I actually find it helpful, especially with inexperienced coaches. It takes about 15 seconds to say. I guess you COULD consider that wordy and a waste of time, but not many words, not much time. I have never had a coach use it as permission to question everything, or even a lot of things. They seem to understand perfectly what it means.
I think that you can appear approachable without issuing an engraved invitation.