The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
The Nightmare on Field # 6

A couple weeks ago I got a call from the new administrator telling me he needs to use my partner (Jacob, a highschool kid) to work a baseball game at one of the local highschool fields. He then said there's a lady who wants to take his place but if you prefer you could work the two games by yourself . This "lady" is the mother of a girl I trained last year and from what I knew of her I was not too thrilled about having her as a partner. For example ...Just the week before she came over to me after calling my last game of the evening and very loudly said "Do me a BIG FAVOR AL....don't ever let your partner leave the field early!!!" I said: what are you talking about the game was over by the mercy run-rule. Then she says: "NO IT WASN'T"...

Now, I had it with this nutcase and I said: "Don't tell me if the game is over or not. The game ended on the 12 run rule and one of the coaches asked if I would mind staying to let the kids play another inning even though the game was officially over."

I further explained that Jacob (my partner) asked me if it's okay that he leave cause he was freezing. Since I had no authority to make him stay and he was visibly cold I thought it best anyway that he get home and warm up. So what does she say to this? "DON"T ever let your partner leave the field early."

So I ended the conversation with: "You do me a BIG FAVOR...mind your field and I'll mind mine! With that she headed towards the park exit. I was wrong in thinking I had heard all there was from her because she was waiting for me in the parking lot. Only this time she spoke with a normal tone and said: "I heard they are considering removing one umpire from coach-pitch and that would mean she would probably lose some of her fill-in work. To this I responded back with "Don't you think it would have been better to speak to me like an adult the first time around? She went on to say she needs the money to go to Florida with her daughter for some big tournaments later this summer.

Now for the nightmare on field # 6...

She arrives at 5:25 for a game that is to start at 5:30. I asked her if she knows coach-pitch rules and the changes we have from last year. She said "I have been around the game for a long time".

Well, there was no time to discuss anything so I start the pregame talk and she thinks it's a great idea to finish my sentences for me. I make the pregame a short one and get the game on the way. The very first play results in a single with the coach holding runner on the bag while 1st base girl is holding the ball in front of her. After a few seconds I call time and then the kid throws the ball to the circle. So what happens? This partner yells out "what are you doing Al, the ball is not in the circle"!!! I reply in a normal tone we have a 3 second rule and all the coaches and players know this. The very next batter hits a single in which R1 made it past the halfway line between 2nd and 3rd before the ball was controled in the circle. I pointed to 3rd and headed back to the plate. So what does my partner do? She loudly yells out "CHILL AL, I'll handle the infield." I turn my head to her and say okay from now on you watch the batter-runner with one eye and with the other eye watch R1 running between 2nd and 3rd base and I'll just stay behind the plate and make sure it is clean.

Now the next inning comes and I let her make the call between 2nd and 3rd while we have the batter runner being almost tagged out trying to get back to 1st. She missed the play between 2nd and 3rd and told the girl to go back to 2nd who clearly passed the line before the ball was controlled in the circle. I got a lot of feedback from fans and told them she made the call not me. No coach asked me to go talk to her. Fans are also starting to complain about the way she is yelling at me in front of all the kids. She heard all the fan noise about sending the girl back to 2nd so what does this nightmare on field # 6 say... "Al, if you saw I made the wrong call you need to overrule me, I was watching the play at 1st. At that time I had a little talk with her about umpire machanics and told her she was way out of line and she will not be working with me the next game. She was steaming and said you can't make that decision. I said I just did. She said she will get me. Many fans heard her threaten me with those words. "I will get you". And before the game was over there was a ball hit that settled in the fair part of the batters box and I gave the fair ball sign. What does my partner do? She yells out "TIME" ...Al what are you doing? You can't call a ball fair if it's in the batters box! I put the girl on 1st and tell her she is the worst umpire I have ever seen. After the game she starts yelling to all the fans. "This guy is an idiot."

Now as it nears the start time of game 2 here comes the administrator and asked me what is going on. I tell him what she was doing and tell him I will never let that lady work with me again. He said he already heard a lot from several parents and understands. Then I notice she is in the field by 1st base. He starts to go to tell her to get off the field and I stopped him and told him I don't trust this lady and maybe it would be better just let her work this game. He went and spoke to her then came back to me and said he told her she is not to make any loud public comments toward other umpires if she expects to ever work in this park.

This post is too long already but it gets worse and maybe I'll post the rest at another time. ....Al

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park!

Last edited by Al; Wed May 09, 2007 at 08:51pm.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Al,
For God's sake, please don't add anything to your post. It's coach pitch and this doesn't really have anything to do with officiating.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

*blink* *blink*

Wow. Just. Wow. My condolensces, man!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

just dont work with it, uhh her, again and move on .........
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Here is my best suggestion for you Al. Move up.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABlue
Al,
For God's sake, please don't add anything to your post. It's coach pitch and this doesn't really have anything to do with officiating.
I disagree. Al is telling a tail from heck, one that some of us may have lived through -- the really bad partner. This is one of the reasons I read this forum, so I can see how others deal with many of the same things I have had to deal with.

Al, I feel for you. I once had a partner so bad that I asked him to go home early. He was playing with bugs, making dirt volcanoes, selling outs (or safes) for dates, arguing with coaches, fans, and me.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
I disagree. Al is telling a tail from heck, one that some of us may have lived through -- the really bad partner. This is one of the reasons I read this forum, so I can see how others deal with many of the same things I have had to deal with.

Al, I feel for you. I once had a partner so bad that I asked him to go home early. He was playing with bugs, making dirt volcanoes, selling outs (or safes) for dates, arguing with coaches, fans, and me.
I've sent one home. I was PU. After completely normal groaning from fans on one side after borderline pitches (maybe 4 pitches scattered over the inning), he comes running over from A, yelling, "You people better shut the he!! up over here, or we're going to start tossing people out of here." Then he gives me this frat-boy cheese-eating smile and points at me snapping his fingers, like he just did me the biggest favor in the world (either that, or he was about to sell me a vacuum cleaner or a used car). I literally dropped my jaw, looked over at the fans to see that they had the same reaction, called time, calmly walked toward him and told him his season was done - at least where I scheduled.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe this ump just needs a few clinics. Preferrably, the ones that give you the jackets with the built-in hugs.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

A dump truck comes to a stop at a red light in front of a state mental institution. There is a group of "guests" are lounging out front, taking in the bright, warm sun and fresh air.

One of the guests engages the truck driver in conversation.

Guest: Hey, guy, what are you hauling?
Driver: Manure.
Guest: Really? Where are you headed?
Driver: Farm about five miles down the road. They need it to put on their strawberries.
Guest: Strawberries? Are you sure that's what the manure is for?
Driver: Yeah, why?
Guest: Because I put sugar and cream on my strawberries and I'm in here!

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Ummmm. ok. Let's call it what it is: a strait jacket. Let's also make fun of people who need ECT at the funny farm, booby hatch, nut house and all those other names folks like to use to make fun of the mentally ill.

Some of those people down there at the funny farm would make better umpires than many of the umpires I have known and loved over the years.

If it were, say, a TB sanitorium, would you make fun of them/it? Maybe this ump DOES have some kind of mental illness.
Was going to send this in a private message, but can't, so...

Hey, man... Sorry if I touched a nerve there. I certainly did not mean to come across as an a$$.

It still remains quite clear that this partner has some issues and has no business calling games, least of all in a two-umpire system.

Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

The game ended on the 12 run rule and one of the coaches asked if I would mind staying to let the kids play another inning even though the game was officially over.

BIG mistake. If a player was seriously injured, you could be liable. Nice guys finish in court.

Bob
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, at that point, so long as the location where they're playing doesn't have a problem with it, let them play... but walk off the field, head to your nearest local pub, and down a few cold ones. Have nothing to do with what happens after the game has ended.

Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
The game ended on the 12 run rule and one of the coaches asked if I would mind staying to let the kids play another inning even though the game was officially over.

BIG mistake. If a player was seriously injured, you could be liable. Nice guys finish in court.

Bob
Thanks for the advice Bob! From coaching T-ball and coach-pitch several years ago I've come to know many of the kids as well as some of their parents/grandparents etc., that I am now umpiring for in both coach-pitch and 11u fast-pitch leagues. (mostly good/decent people) There have been some that have thanked me for staying as it makes their "practice time" more like the real game. Anyway, I just never realized what could happen and I'm glad you gave me the heads-up! I will avoid the possible law-suit problem. ...Al
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Thanks for the advice Bob! From coaching T-ball and coach-pitch several years ago I've come to know many of the kids as well as some of their parents/grandparents etc., that I am now umpiring for in both coach-pitch and 11u fast-pitch leagues. (mostly good/decent people) There have been some that have thanked me for staying as it makes their "practice time" more like the real game. Anyway, I just never realized what could happen and I'm glad you gave me the heads-up! I will avoid the possible law-suit problem. ...Al
Also prevents problems for you if you get injured.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Was going to send this in a private message, but can't, so...

Hey, man... Sorry if I touched a nerve there. I certainly did not mean to come across as an a$$.

It still remains quite clear that this partner has some issues and has no business calling games, least of all in a two-umpire system.
I was debating if I should even bring this nightmare to the board and I now think it best not to tell the rest of the story. But I will say this... What followed the 2nd game from this "ladies" mouth got her banned from the park. After our 2nd game was over she went to another field and stood in front of the fans and started telling horrible lies about me in hopes of getting me fired. I did not personally hear what she said but the league board members told me what others reported hearing her say. I was encouraged to bring a suit againt her but probably won't. After she was banned from the park she retracted and denied saying what several parents reported. She then said she has to come to the park cause her daughter works T-ball and needs her to drive her there and take her home. She said she must stay at the park cause she can't afford to drop her off then come back to pick her up. But that didn't change anything and she remains banned from the park. I heard from a neighbor who is a highschool basketball coach that she was fired from officiating basketball games.

...Al

Last edited by Al; Fri May 11, 2007 at 01:27pm.