The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Stupid Fan Quotes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/33765-stupid-fan-quotes.html)

argodad Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22am

Stupid Fan Quotes

I had two head-shakers in a HS District tournament game yesterday that I thought I'd share:

From a dad: "Three and two. It's gotta be perfect!" :confused:

From a mom after the game: "My daughter has a hurt wrist and she made a good throw, and you didn't give her the out." :rolleyes:

NCASAUmp Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:46am

One of my favorites came from a parent and went like this:

Moron: Come on, blue, he was safe! I've got 20/20 vision with these glasses on!

Me: Sir, I read bottom line on the eyechart, and I don't wear any glasses.

Slight pause...

Moron: Good call, blue!

BuggBob Wed Apr 18, 2007 01:27pm

The pitch was way inside and about waist high. The batter squats way down to avoid getting hit, but still got beaned in the brain-pan. This dad starts in with, "She's got to make a better attempt to get out-of-the-way." When that didn't work, he then comments, "It's a strike blue when the batter is hit in the strike zone."

Skahtboi Wed Apr 18, 2007 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob
The pitch was way inside and about waist high. The batter squats way down to avoid getting hit, but still got beaned in the brain-pan. This dad starts in with, "She's got to make a better attempt to get out-of-the-way." When that didn't work, he then comments, "It's a strike blue when the batter is hit in the strike zone."

Those are the ones where you are tempted to turn around and say to the fan, "here's your sign."

mcrowder Wed Apr 18, 2007 02:39pm

We've all heard some idiot yell "Hands are part of the bat!" but this one took the cake.

Pitcher is throwing smoke, so batters are beginning their swings essentially before they see the ball. Pitch comes high and tight. Batter tries to bail and at the last second blocks the ball with a bare hand (a hand not contacting the bat at all).

"Hands are part of the bat, Blue!!!"

Here's your sign.

Dukat Wed Apr 18, 2007 03:40pm

About a week ago in a High School game...

"COME ON BLUE THAT BALL COULDN'T BE A STRIKE, IT WAS AT HER KNEES!" :)

3afan Wed Apr 18, 2007 03:45pm

Top of the first inning ... pitcher walks her 3rd straight and some genius yells "C'mon blue, call it both ways!" :confused:

SC Ump Wed Apr 18, 2007 03:53pm

One last night that I'm still not sure I can argue with.

Second game of a three game night and we have to declare a forfeit. The coach wants us to give him five extra minutes. "I just talked to the guys, they are just turning on [ball field] road."

When we don't give the team the few extra minutes, coach says, "But we wait on you all the time when you have a previous game run into extra innings."

Come back I didn't think of until this morinng, "Okay coach, well next time the game ahead of you runs over, you don't have to stay. Y'all can just go on home."

SWFLguy Wed Apr 18, 2007 04:32pm

I'm working a game out "in the hills" and some
fan yells out on a close call--
"that was a bush league call blue" !!
I just waved my arms out and scanned the scenery around me !!
priceless !!

SRW Wed Apr 18, 2007 04:46pm

Happened Monday:
I'm the BU. Bottom of 3rd, home team up something like 14-2. We're something like 55 minutes into the gametime. 1B coach asks me "Is this only the 3rd inning?" "Yes, coach, it certainly is."
About 15 minutes later, after about 6 runs have come in, and we're still bottom of 3, he has a batter who rounds 1B, and dances with the pitcher, who's got her arm ready, about to throw to F3. She does, and BR dives back, safe by a split second.

I ring her up. For the first out of the inning.

He picks her up, says to her, "That's ok, you were safe."
Next pitch, he turns and says, "Are we still in the 3rd inning?"
I say, "Yes, coach, that's why your runner was called out."

Laughing, he says, "And that's why I wasn't in your face about that call, either!" :D

Dakota Wed Apr 18, 2007 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I'm working a game out "in the hills"

???

http://www.southeastclimbing.com/images/brittonhill.jpg

Mountaineer Wed Apr 18, 2007 07:31pm

This maybe a HTBT, but I was BU and one of my best friends was PU. He's a BIG guy - sort of looks like Eric Gregg did. He called a strike and someone sitting under a tree 20' past the outfield fence yelled - "STRIKE? YOU GOTTA BE FREAKIN' KIDDING!"

My buddy never said a word - stepped out from behind the plate, took off his mask and sort of bent over, shaded his eyes with he hands, squinted his eyes and stared at the guy. Stood up and looked at the plate, then struck the same pose again. Stood up, looked at me and the first base coach, shook his head and went back to the plate. We rolled! Priceless.

wadeintothem Wed Apr 18, 2007 08:25pm

The other night.. college game.. I forget the peeps involved..

Ball bounces off safety knob of bat of a slapper. Foul ball

Announcer "It wouldnt have mattered if it had hit her hands, the hands are actually an extension of the bat".

Said on open air to literally dozens of fans watching it on TV.

NCASAUmp Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
This maybe a HTBT, but I was BU and one of my best friends was PU. He's a BIG guy - sort of looks like Eric Gregg did. He called a strike and someone sitting under a tree 20' past the outfield fence yelled - "STRIKE? YOU GOTTA BE FREAKIN' KIDDING!"

My buddy never said a word - stepped out from behind the plate, took off his mask and sort of bent over, shaded his eyes with he hands, squinted his eyes and stared at the guy. Stood up and looked at the plate, then struck the same pose again. Stood up, looked at me and the first base coach, shook his head and went back to the plate. We rolled! Priceless.

Thus, my signature. :)

Skahtboi Thu Apr 19, 2007 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat
About a week ago in a High School game...

"COME ON BLUE THAT BALL COULDN'T BE A STRIKE, IT WAS AT HER KNEES!" :)

I have heard that before. I also heard, just a couple of weeks ago, a fan go ballisitic on a fly ball that I called fair. "That was foul. It was on the line!"