The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Stupid Fan Quotes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/33765-stupid-fan-quotes.html)

argodad Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38am

Next day of the same HS District Tournament as my OP. Runner gets picked off third by a sharp catcher. Angry at herself, she jerks off her helmet. U3 issues a helmet warning to the team. Coach says, "But Blue -- she put it back on." :rolleyes:

CecilOne Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The other night.. college game.. I forget the peeps involved..

Ball bounces off safety knob of bat of a slapper. Foul ball

Announcer "It wouldnt have mattered if it had hit her hands, the hands are actually an extension of the bat".

Said on open air to literally dozens of fans watching it on TV.

That's where the best interps come from. :rolleyes:

CecilOne Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:02am

Maybe hard to visualize, but ...
Batter is about 6'3" - 6'4". Pitch is over, just below her waist for a strike.
Spec yells "cmon blue, she's not that tall". :eek:

Next pitch just below her knees for a ball.
Another spec yells "she's not that short, either". :rolleyes:
I hope he was needling the first guy, because the team doesn't have a resident shrink. :)

argodad Thu Apr 19, 2007 04:13pm

Good Fan Quote

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
Maybe hard to visualize, but ...
Batter is about 6'3" - 6'4". Pitch is over, just below her waist for a strike.
Spec yells "cmon blue, she's not that tall". :eek:

Next pitch just below her knees for a ball.
Another spec yells "she's not that short, either". :rolleyes:
I hope he was needling the first guy, because the team doesn't have a resident shrink. :)

I had the opposite in a HS game this spring. TINY batter (maybe 4'8"?). Ball one. Ball two. Dad to pitcher: She's got armpits and knees. There's a strike zone in there somewhere! :cool:

Dakota Thu Apr 19, 2007 04:32pm

I'm still waiting for some of you FL guys to tell us where the hills are in Florida! :p

SWFLguy Thu Apr 19, 2007 07:31pm

sorry Dakota--I've been busy--
did not think when I posted that--
it was back in central NY where I umpired many a game over
the years until I moved here in 2001--
-- lots of wooded rolling hills and valleys there--
not too many here of course !!

bkbjones Fri Apr 20, 2007 01:14am

OK...here's a coach deal from Thursday. Juco game, second of a doubleheader, Team B got run-ruled badly in Game 1.

Game 2, I am in C with runners at 1 and 2. Catcher makes snap throw to 1B. 1B is running back to 1B and catches ball on the run and makes a great attempt to tag her. Runner for whatever reason goes back standing up (if she slides there's just about no way she can be tagged). She gets her front foot on the bag as 1B tags back foot. I have a great look at it, call her safe.

"Time!" Team B coach yells. He comes walking toward me. I just stand there patiently waiting to come on over so we can discuss it like gentlemen.

Nope. He stops just past 1B. "You're telling me you can see that from over there?" he yells.
"Yes, coach, I can see that," sez me, not yelling.
"Could you ask for help?" Coach B yells.
"No, coach, I don't need help. I got a clean look at it."
"So...you're not going to give me the courtesy of going to your partner?"
"Coach, I had a great look at it, don't need help."
Coach B storms off.
3B coach has a much higher IQ. He waits a pitch and says, not very quietly,
"Hey blue, if he had managed to make it over to you and asked you, you would have gone for help, wouldn't you."
I just smiled.

argodad Fri Apr 20, 2007 07:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Breath-taking, isn't it?;)

tcannizzo Fri Apr 20, 2007 08:28am

My ears popped just looking at the picture.

Skahtboi Fri Apr 20, 2007 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo
My ears popped just looking at the picture.

:D :D :D :D

DaveASA/FED Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:38am

called 3rd strike at the knees and on the inside corner, right in that corner (low and inside) that I will call a strike at. I ring her up, I hear "That's ok, even if you hit that you wouldn't have been able to do anything with it." Then I hear a guy sitting next to that lady say "well I think that is why she has been throwing them there" ............priceless

qcumpire Fri Apr 20, 2007 07:44pm

Hands Part of the Bat

It happens every year. Just the other day, there was as girl was hit by a pitch...The defensive coach yells "Hey Blue, the hands are part of the bat."

I let it got, and as the same coach was going to the third base coaches box between innings he stopped and said "That ball hit her in the hands and the hands are part of the bat."

My response: "Coach, find me a sporting goods store that sells the hands with the bat, and I'll give you that call.":)

tcblue13 Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59pm

HS Game 3rd inning
Home team at bat
Girls in HT dugout are chattering away with all the usual chants and cheers which they had been doing in the two previous innings.
Finally the visiting catcher turns to me and asks, "Hey Blue, can you make their team be quiet?"

wadeintothem Sat Apr 21, 2007 08:43am

Last night -

Strike, inside corner

"Oh my God that was outside. How can she hit a pitch so far outside? That pitch was so outside. That is a terrible call. That was outside".

Good lordie, if youre gonna whine at least have the location a semblance of correct.