The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone want to discuss 2002 rule changes?

Are there changes that you say "finally - its about time"?

Are there changes that you say "Uh oh - wish they hadn't done that"?

Talking from an umpire's perspective, of course.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

The only rule change for 2002 that I really don't like is following the Fed's lead and allowing a re-entry for EVERY participant.

The argument is that it will create more playing time for the non-starters, but I don't buy it.

What I believe it does is reduce some of the strategy of line-up management and will actually reduce the playing time of those on the lower end of the roster.

For example:

A speedier Jane runs for starting catcher Jackie (who is a bit on the big side and a slow runner) in the 4th. In the 5th, Jackie reenters as F2. Jackie gets on in the 7th and is the tying run at 1B. Last year, mediocre, but not slow Amy would come off the bench and run for Jackie. Next year, Jane comes back into the game and Amy goes home with a clean uniform again.

This is a coaches rule and a good umpire's nighmare. And if you think you are not going to have some mixed-up scorekeeper slow down a game or two trying to get things straight, I wish you luck.

I suggest everyone take the extra few seconds to keep an accurate line up card and learn to write (and be able to read)small print.

JMHO,

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you on this one. The rule change was supposedly put in to increase playing time. It will increase playing time for the #1 and maybe #2 substitute, but farther down the bench, it will reduce playing time.

It also simplifies life for the coach and complicates life for the umpire and scorekeeper.

I can't write too small, or I'd need to take my cheaters to the field - and that would hardly inspire confidence!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, too. I'm not wild about letting everyone re-enter - for the same reasons Mike listed.

On the other hand, I do like the clarification on the look-back rule not being in effect until the batter-runner reaches first.

And I like the uniform change. The choices are what we have been using in league and invitational tournames for the past several years.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Uniforms

My state is kind of an independent fiefdom of the ASA empire. We haven't used the official ASA uniform forever.

We have been using the gray pants all along, and we finally made the powder blue pullovers mandantory beginning in 2002 (they have been optional for 2 yrs)finally doing away with the Elbecos. But they're not the ASA pullovers - they are identical with a different patch - they have the state org. patch on them.

So, I have no idea what our local Lords of Softball will decide, but I'm not wild about buying a complete duplicate uniform, so I hope they stay the course.

The flag is a nice tug on the heartstrings, but pure symbolism, and in technical violation of flag display protocol, so I have been told. I will be buying at least one new hat anyway, but I hope someone sells the flags as iron-ons so I don't have to scrap my existing hat collection.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with everyone on the re-entry rule change. Uniforms should not be a problem as I already have grey slacks and a few pullovers. I just bought 3 new hats at the end of last year and am also hoping for some way to get the flag on the hat like Dakota.

I like Steve agree that the clarification on the look-back rule is a good thing........HOWEVER.......I wish they would re-write the whole thing to make it clearer. The additional verbage they added in 2000 confuses the heck out of a first time reader of the rules.

Joel
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Guys...it seems like we all have pretty similar gripes concerning the rule changes. The re-entry thing is a bugger, a real umpire's/scorekeeper's nightmare. I am also not wild about the "required" flag emblem, as it is not in keeping with protocol. As for the grey pants, I have had them as part of my Fed uniform, so that doesn't bother me.

Scott
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

I have to agree with you on the uniforms. Don't care for the grey, but that's life.

As for the flag, I think it is a common American knee-jerk disgrace. The attachment to the uniform is going to cause disgrace to the flag.

I commented on this before, but time is starting to prove a point. All these great Americans went out and started through flags on everything they own, but only to fail in their responsibility of maintaining it. Don't believe me? Take a walk around any parking lot. When you are waiting at a light, look at the vehicles around you.

Flags from the antennas are tattered and dirty. Decals of Old Glory, especially on commercial vehicles, are covered with dirt, oil and grease.

Flags on apparel are dirty, fading or falling off.

Many of us are dedicated umpires and take care of our uniform, but how many times to you see an umpire just jam his hat in a bag or throw it into the backseat or rear window of their car.

If these "patriots" believe the flag is the symbol of our country and they do not treat it properly, how do you think they feel about their government and fellow citizens?

BTW, I hold this opinion to all who attach the US flag to sportswear, uniforms or any other surface where it and it's message risk desecretion.

JMHO
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Flags from the antennas are tattered and dirty. Decals of Old Glory, especially on commercial vehicles, are covered with dirt, oil and grease.
Boy, is this ever true. Just this morning while coming into work, I passed a semi with a large flag attached to a hand rail behind the cab, so the flag was flapping above the rear wheels of the tractor, in between the tractor and the trailer. The flag was faded, tattered, and filthy.

Some patriot! It was disgraceful. The worst part was this is hardly uncommon. I see a display like this several times a week.

By the end of a hot summer game, my hat is not where I would choose to display our flag!

Since this is not mandantory until 2003, I think I'll try to wait it out and hope good sense prevails.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

Since this is not mandantory until 2003, I think I'll try to wait it out and hope good sense prevails.
I agree with what both of you gentlement are saying. I
am going with the pins that I have purchased at Wal-mart,
until someone in the powers-that-am decide that I am not
in compliance with the rules.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know the size the flag on the hat will be? I spoke with the clerk in the local WalMart fabric department last week. She said if I knew the size, she could order it in for me.

I hope Dakota is right and someone in power comes to their senses.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

ntxblue:

Why not do like many of us, and wait out this year where we have a "grace period" and hope that common sense does prevail over the almost rabid reactionary response? By 2003, the "powers that be" may have changed their minds and realized the error of their ways.

Scott
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

I bought a couple of new hats recently, so I will wait to see what happens. I'm excessive compulsive about my hats (cleanliness, condition, etc). My wife just says I'm a pain in the a**!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I too am a pain in the A@@ when it comes to my uniform. I shine shoes like crazy.....clean hats and can't stand when something is not "just so". I like a good crease in my pants and when I am wearing an Elbeco, I have to have it ironed correctly. That is a plus with the pull-overs.........wash em and hang em to dry........that does make my life a tad easier.

I wish that obsession carried over to the rest of my life. My car and house (laundry scattered etc.) are usually a wreck........grin. Funny though........at work, I can't stand for things to be messy.......(except for my desk).

Joel

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
I too am a pain in the A@@ when it comes to my uniform. I shine shoes like crazy.....clean hats and can't stand when something is not "just so". I like a good crease in my pants and when I am wearing an Elbeco, I have to have it ironed correctly. That is a plus with the pull-overs.........wash em and hang em to dry........that does make my life a tad easier.

I wish that obsession carried over to the rest of my life. My car and house (laundry scattered etc.) are usually a wreck........grin. Funny though........at work, I can't stand for things to be messy.......(except for my desk).

Joel

I agree Joel, shinned shoes, [just did 4 pair for tourney
tomorrow] pull-overs dried just right to not wrinkle and
pressed pants with razor creases. [The new Downy Wrinkle
Releaser works good on the pull-overs]. All of the above
is a must....probably does not help my judgement...but
damn, I look sharp doing it.
__________________________________________________ _______
Character is much easier kept than recovered.--Thomas Paine,

glen

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.