The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Quite a Friday

I've gotta take advantage of the message board so I can cut down on e-mails. I've already ran afoul of AOL's spam rules and had to call someone in Djibouti or Jakarta or wherever to get my account back online.

Anyway...it was quite a Friday, April 6, 2007. Amidst all the crap of life, some fairly miraculous things can and do happen.

Some of you know some of the things I have been through in the past several months (and thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to write, call, pray and think).

Friday afternoon I had the pleasure of doing my first CC doubleheader in a couple years. The umpiring was much better than the games - both were run rules, but I got my plate game over in 5 innings, but my partner had to go six.

Then, late Friday night (about 90 minutes ago as I write this) my son called to let us know that we will have a sizeable Christmas gift this year. It will be our first grandchild.

The thrill that went through me for both events today would be akin to earning the PU on a nationals final - even moreso for the pending grandfatherhood.

Compared to my wife, I am only slightly happy about grandparenthood.

OK, back to real life and umpiring.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:45am
Never Stop Learning

Congrats John. I too became a grandfather for the first time a month ago. Makes me look at life in a different frame of mind. I am also very happy to hear you are back on the field. Hope you are feeling well. Folks like you keep us all going.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Congrats John. I too became a grandfather for the first time a month ago. Makes me look at life in a different frame of mind. I am also very happy to hear you are back on the field. Hope you are feeling well. Folks like you keep us all going.

Hi there Ed! Just think...when we worked together last July I was a somewhat overweight but otherwise healthy guy. My how things change. I'm glad the Mrs. let ya back on the 'puter, and look forward to seeing you soon. Ya'll are the folks that keep things going well...and your mother-in-law should be the role model on how to run hospitality for umpires at tournaments.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Congrats! That is great.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Man, that seems like it's been longer than a year. What a way to turn things around. Now you're going to have to work more games, 'cuz grandma's like to travel and spend and spend and travel..............
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Congrats from a three time grandfather.

They really add joy to your life.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Then, late Friday night (about 90 minutes ago as I write this) my son called to let us know that we will have a sizeable Christmas gift this year. It will be our first grandchild.
That can be great news ! Then again, it could also depend on how far away they live
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That can be great news ! Then again, it could also depend on how far away they live

I dunno!!! My daughter is expecting our first grandchild, and my wife and I plan on spoiling her rotten, giving lots of real noisy toys, and sending her back home to her mama and daddy. In cases like these, a litte distance can be a good thing!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I dunno!!! My daughter is expecting our first grandchild, and my wife and I plan on spoiling her rotten, giving lots of real noisy toys, and sending her back home to her mama and daddy. In cases like these, a litte distance can be a good thing!
Scott,
Don't forget all the candy & other sugar-laden stuff. Get 'em wired, then send them home.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I've gotta take advantage of the message board so I can cut down on e-mails. I've already ran afoul of AOL's spam rules and had to call someone in Djibouti or Jakarta or wherever to get my account back online.

Anyway...it was quite a Friday, April 6, 2007. Amidst all the crap of life, some fairly miraculous things can and do happen.

Some of you know some of the things I have been through in the past several months (and thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to write, call, pray and think).

Friday afternoon I had the pleasure of doing my first CC doubleheader in a couple years. The umpiring was much better than the games - both were run rules, but I got my plate game over in 5 innings, but my partner had to go six.

The thrill that went through me for both events today would be akin to earning the PU on a nationals final - even moreso for the pending grandfatherhood.

Compared to my wife, I am only slightly happy about grandparenthood.

OK, back to real life and umpiring.
It is good to know that you are enjoying life and looking forward to being the nightmare that your children are so worried about.
Just remind them that what they did as children is now going to come back to them in spades.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, you guys are bringing back beautiful memories.

I was there when she was born; held that most beautiful thing in the world; a perfect face surrounded by a mop of curly black hair.

Learning to crawl; learning to walk, must have taken a gazillion pictures. Walks in the woods, sliding in the winter, T-Ball, camping, museums, teaching her to pitch, teaching her to drive; hour after hour on the ball field. Watched her come in to high school and make the team; watched her walk down the aisle four years later. And this summer was there again, holding with pride the first great-grandson (with no hair!).

WMB